Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

MODS I MISSED

Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default MODS I MISSED

I'm trying 2 figure out some times or estimates of some sorts.

My car has cold air inintake fulll 3.5 inch exhaust from the dc sports header back. Zpi underdrive pulley, stage 3 fidanza clutch and fidanza flywheel, front sway bar and stiffy bar. OTHER THEN FORCED INDUCTION !@!!!!!!!!!(im building it up before i S/C) what mods can i still get and if u add a comment on a mod - if u have it herd about what were the powergains are.. thanks fellas

O yeah if u are modded post me a 1/4 if u got it- i like checking mods vs. time without having 2 scan threw billions of cars 2 find what i wanna c - thanks shibby!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3.5 inch piping?? lol
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I don't have a TC so you can take this with a grain of salt... or uh.... something like that.

I don't know if the S/C kits come with upgraded fuel systems or not. If not, that's a priority. Also getting some colder spark plugs lined up for when you finally get it. I think it's one step colder for every 75 hp added as a general rule. I could be wrong.

Yeah 3.5 seems a bit large. FYI if you don't know already. Just as an example... if you went from 2" to 4" that would be double flow right? WRONG! It's 4X the flow! Just how it works! I didn't make it up. Having too large of pipe can reduce the back pressure too much and damage your valves. I'd be cautious.

Z
Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

dude.. i wonder how much low end torque you got with all of that...

sheesh man.... any backpressure??
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zander the tc is way different than a rsx. but yeah a 3.5" belongs on a sti not a tc.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
zander the tc is way different than a rsx. but yeah a 3.5" belongs on a sti not a tc.
Yeah I mean, the TC may be different yeah, but 3.5 is just freaking HUGE.

Z
Old 01-02-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

3.5 would be overkill on a highly boosted tC. For most boosted tC's 2.5 is most likely all you will ever need or see any real benefit from. Too large and you are just slowing down the gasses even more, allowing them to cool more and become more dense as they leave the system.

Backpressure (the culprit behind proper scavenging) is partially taken care of by the turbo restriction in the exhaust on a turbo unit. But on a SC you will probably harm scavenging as well as the effect above. I personally would stick to a 2.5" setup and call it good.

I personally would throw the undampened pulley in the trash, but I will leave it at that. You can search here and preferably on yoursciontc.com about the physics related to those and make up your own mind.

Other than that, I dont see much more for you to do if you are running the SC. Fuel management may help you squeeze a bit more out of it, but the SC will run fine with the reflash to the ECU.

The SC is a pretty mild power adder by itself, so you dont need a lot more along with it. If you are going to run a smaller pulley on it to up the boost, then you may need to look at different fuel management.

You mention that you have replaced the front sway, but you did not mention a stiffer rear sway as well. Did you just install a stiffer front sway? If so, I reccomend a stiffer rear to go along with it. You must be understeering like a b!tch with just a stiffer front. I am running a TRD rear and the stock front sway and it is pretty much balanced out.

Unless you just like going in a straight line, I highly reccomend a good combination of sways, some decent springs (not super low or stiff) and some good tires. You will notice more performance gain there than anywhere.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
You mention that you have replaced the front sway, but you did not mention a stiffer rear sway as well. Did you just install a stiffer front sway? If so, I reccomend a stiffer rear to go along with it. You must be understeering like a b!tch with just a stiffer front. I am running a TRD rear and the stock front sway and it is pretty much balanced out.
whoa... i didn't even notice that... man... you do have a rear sway, yes? please tell me you do?

sheesh.. our cars don't really even need a stiffer front sway bar... if anything the rear!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, same with my RSX. JDM rear sway and it's perfect! Getting my A-spec suspension on today as well.

Z
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3.5?!?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if boost is applied i would suggest a scan tool, wideband o2 and a egt probe.

down want to lean out or run the temps to high.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As mentioned above, get a 2.5 exhaust. Headers are usually another common N/A power mod but since you wanna go S/C in the future, meh. If you increase the go you also wanna increase the stop. Stop Tech Big Brake Kit with SS lines is a good choice. Maybe even lighter wheels?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Be carefull on spending money on a big brake kit. Most times it minimally improves stopping power. You will have less fade with a better setup, but unless you are running on a track you will get nothing more than some cool looking brakes. As I always say, most of the "gains" of the bolt on mods you buy nowadays are simply advertising gains. The SS lines will help pedal feel a bit, but do nothing for stopping power.

The header, since you are thinking SC rather than turbo, will still be usable, but they never provide the gains you are expecting, especially when you look at the whole power band. The CAI isnt doing anything for you.. but looks and sounds nice. But you wont be able to use it when the SC is installed.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to say it as well..3.5inch pipes? Holy LORD!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member

As original i was setting up for the 20g turbo and alot of boost but i havent recently been racing it, , it just kinda sits. My b its 2.5 inch piping the muffler is 3.5 , neway i figure S/C gives ya 200 hp , change the pulley 2 9.5, , ZPI has a head and pistons and i can prob do all that 4 under 6 G's and have alot safer and more consistant power gain. For a quality turbo kit its 6 grand after everything for the Turbonectics, but its only 250+ 2 the wheels, then boost gauges boost controller blah blah. I only really trust myself or friends with my car ya know, and what fun is it if u cant install yourself. So im just putting 6 or so more in the motor and some drag radials and hopefully it will get me in the 12's or so, Upgraded Injectors i believe come with the kit and if not, does ne1 have upgraded injectors there happy with, ...With sparkplugs a tc already has iridium plugs, U could get bigger wires and high end plugs but once again who has done this and did it fix throttle response
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Port polish perhaps? Mmmm...illiteration. :D
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: MODS I MISSED

Originally Posted by Chopkin1
I'm trying 2 figure out some times or estimates of some sorts.

My car has cold air inintake fulll 3.5 inch exhaust from the dc sports header back. Zpi underdrive pulley, stage 3 fidanza clutch and fidanza flywheel, front sway bar and stiffy bar. OTHER THEN FORCED INDUCTION !@!!!!!!!!!(im building it up before i S/C) what mods can i still get and if u add a comment on a mod - if u have it herd about what were the powergains are.. thanks fellas

O yeah if u are modded post me a 1/4 if u got it- i like checking mods vs. time without having 2 scan threw billions of cars 2 find what i wanna c - thanks shibby!
for the record, ZPI doesnt make an underdrive pulley. just a stock sized light weight pulley, NST makes teh underdrive pulley.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member

ON a personal note the --- a turbo TC could definatly handle 3.5 full turbo back, Yes you would need a big Turbo and a built motor 2-step, but a STI is only a 2.5 lt 4 cyclinder upgraded and turboed. Hense if a tC was stock turbo aside from all wheel and could get it 2 hook up would more then likely beat a WRX- stock 2 stock. With dampning tools and extra engine mounts hooking up a front wheel is getting easier.

IM willing 2 bet some1 has it done by now, the block is about the same as a supra
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

the biggest i have seen was 3"
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member

on any car or just the tc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MODS I MISSED