Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   Moving cross country, in the tc! Anyone else fill theirs to the max? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/moving-cross-country-tc-anyone-else-fill-theirs-max-214335/)

LED-Maniac 05-06-2012 03:09 PM

Moving cross country, in the tc! Anyone else fill theirs to the max?

Hey guys,

I am moving from NJ to NV and am trying to fit as much as possible into the tC. I'm not talking furniture or anything huge, just all of my clothes, some electronics, etc. I will fill it up to the point that it will look like a mobile hoarders episode and will not be able to see out of the rear view window! What do you think about the max weight capacity of the car? Anyone else make a long distance heavy haul in theirs? :pray:

serith 05-06-2012 03:44 PM

Yes, actually. Long story short, I drove twice from NY to CA with two fully loaded tC's (separate trips). Nothing remarkable happened other than neglecting to fuel up in NV when we had over 1/2 tank of gas, and not finding the next gas station until after the oh-____ gas light came on. My buddies car was an auto, had zero problems. Mine was my old 06, and it was burning some oil by the time we got into Utah (down about 1 quart or so). My guess is because cruising at ~80mph the car turns nearly 4k rpm (5speed), and we never stopped other than for gas. One person drives, one person sleeps, etc.

Are you making the trip solo? If so, be careful and definitely get off the road when you get tired.

LED-Maniac 05-06-2012 04:21 PM

I will definitely take rest stops! TY for the advice, I will bring a quart or 2 as mine is an 05 with 90k.

RoboCop 05-06-2012 05:12 PM

Your trip is farther then my trip but I go from Indiana to Texas, about 1000 miles with my 05 tC filled up. I usually leave enough room to see through the rear view. It would bother me too much to not see for that long. I've done a full load trip about 5 times. I've done the trip atleast 9 times. Never any problems. I tend to push the gas meter to the edge. I've had it read past empty a couple of times. Puts you on edge but never any issues.
I remember when I had the crappy raceland coils on and whenever I filled up, my car would be really low.
It is definitely tiring to drive, especially the night drive. I can go all day if there is light out. I usually leave at 3-4am and the 2-4th hour of driving is the worst because it is boring and dark.

ColonelSanders85 05-07-2012 04:58 AM

I moved from Florida to New Mexico about 3 years ago, packed everything I owned in the TC. My advice is do most of your traveling during the day. The Tc handled marvelously, even when way overloaded. I was litterally packed to the roof, with only room in the drivers' seat. Also, the brakes are not the best on the TC, especially not when you have a lot of momentum from the extra weight. Once I upgraded to the Stainless Steel Brakes lines and Castrol SRF fluid and slightly aggressive pads it made a huge difference. I would highly recommend optimizing your brakes before making a trip whilst weighed down.

c500129 05-07-2012 06:13 AM

thats one long trip, where in nevada are you going to?

toeveryhour 05-07-2012 04:21 PM

If you're going to fill it completely and block the windows, i suggest buying those cheapy circle mirrors to stick on your actual mirrors then take them off once you get to NV. no blind spots. I couldn't do a trip like that without them. as far as weight limits, i wouldn't really worry, considering you said you're not going to be hauling anything huge like furniture, etc. good luck and drive safe!

TheMuffinMan00 05-08-2012 01:41 PM

I just moved and had all of my tools and tool box in the back of mine along with all of my electronics. I had everything loaded to the max including the pass seat. My advice. Don't let anything lean on the C pillars. Use bugie cords to stop them from the headrest post to the rear hook. Mine now has a dimple on both C pillars from the first trip where box corners dug into them. I'm sure mine was WAY overloaded because the back of my car was sagging quite a bit but I didn't have any issues. I actually didn't even notice the brakes being different. I have a 2010 though so maybe the new brakes were fine with the weight. Good luck and safe driving.

Jesters06tC 05-13-2012 01:25 AM

I moved from MO to CA in mine all loaded down. couldnt see out the windows. the car did great!