Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

My 2nd Scion build with reviews!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My 2nd Scion build with reviews!

A long time ago, I has a 05 xB. It went through many of styles, but always uniquely my own. So to start off, here are a few of the old xB1... before we roll onto the tC1.

(from boxed in the smokies 1, which is on its 4th year at the end of the month. www.clubxb.com for all the details)

After the xB I went to a few beaters... 87 cavalier z24 convertible, 90 civic hatch, 86 mazda rx7, and then a 03 passat 1.8t wagon. After getting tired of premium gas prices, I came to the conclusion that it was either a tc or xd in my future. And since there were no xd's in a 5spd in my area, low and behold I left with a tC.

Now onto the build stuff I've done in the last few months of owning the car.

Day1 Parked with a tc owner Nathan the compare and contrast begins, and he makes fun of me for being all 4x4.... (his is white, mine is sliver)

About a week later, I started on a few modifications. Here's an easy one, that will save you're hatch handles life down the road, and in winter when there is ice/snow... Its just a little strap attached to the hatch locking assembly that you're able to pull up on, instead of the hatch handle it's self. So push the button with one hand, and with the other, pull up on the strap. I suppose if you're shorter than me (5ft6) it'll help you reach the hatch to close it :D

After that I attacked the intake... Instead of buying a generic or over priced pipe for the intake, I did it the easy way... And I think it's SCCA approved too. Replaced stock filter with a K&N drop in. Removed that second filter on the top of the air box lid (whatever the hell that's for), and removed the bung from the inlet tube. Which reminds me, I still need to paint that piece of PVC cap I am using to plug it. (1 1/4" in case you're interested in doing so yourself). Oh and to get more air to the OEM box, I went the extra mile and modified the grill insert on that side of the lower bumper. Basically removing that insert just looks bad. But if you drill out the fake mesh look to make it a functioning mesh, you gain air flow!

(as you can see in the photos, the grill insert drilled out, and then 2nd photo of it installed and stealthy oem-ish. Power throttle response is better, and isn't loud like a generic/high dollar intake)

After accomplishing the intake, I moved to the front bumper. A slightly different Home Depot Lip. Well it's not really a lip, as it is a "splitter" like device. It's probably non functional, but it adds a little flare to the front of the car, and will probably save the front bumper from chipping paint off down the road.

About a week after all that was done, I received a few packages from Raceland. 1 being my coilovers (too be installed) and 2 being my catback exhaust. After doing about 3 days worth of searching for reviews on the Raceland Catback, I found really nothing.

So here's my review on it... Sounds good. Fits amazing! No issues other than the one I created by snapping a bolt off the s pipe flange during install. That issue is now fixed after a few hours of bad angle cutting and drilling under the car. Welds are very nice, and the flanges are pretty thick and well made. The only complaint I have is the stupid interior of the tip. It's dumb looking. Eventually I am going to paint the inside of the tip black, so that the design of it, is hidden somewhat. That being my only complaint, here's a picture of it... It really a s-pipe back. Mid pipe no cat, resonator, another s pipe to the rear axle assembly, then the axle back section.

(maybe I'll do a sound bite sometime?)

While shopping for tires locally at the pep boys, I came across a Wink Mirror... So I had to go ahead and buy that too. Sure it's not the brightest idea to have a wink mirror AND side impact air bags, but it'll only hurt for a little bit worse case right? Anyhow, I love it, and have a very small blind spot now behind me. And thankfully for my height, it works as a sun visor too!

To finish off pretty much the rest of my tax refund, I purchased some new rubber for the wheels. The Brigestones that came on the car were great, but getting really low on tread. When I looked into buying new ones, and seen the cost, I nearly pooped a little bit. Then I remembered the awesome tires I had on the rx7. Federal 595SS. Cheap, sticky, quiet, and long lasting... What more can you ask for? $400 later and about 2 hours in a tire shop getting them mounted I headed for the back roads of Kentucky.

What a blast! These tires are very predictable. They grip amazing on dry roads, and with the sidewall blocked tread they hold grip even with a little camber, or tire roll.

While looking for tail lights late last night, an idea hit me... I have a clear third brake light. I don't like clear lights, or over styled lighting.... (aka oem tyc tails, and headlights). I like a clean, stock looking light. So I set off today to the hobby store for some Testors Candy Red transparent paint and clear coat. After a quick cleaning, a few coats of red, and clear... I was able to reinstall it, and hate my tail lights even more than before... But I do love my new third brake light!

So whats next? Hopefully red tails! And then getting these coilovers on so that they'll stop haunting me in the garage every time I go into it. Then maybe something with the wheel color, and some spacers... Then a few ideas for vinyl over lays on the hood, front bumper, and maybe rear bumper. But not the traditional over lays. Something I've yet to see, but I am sure its out there. Just not as common.

I don't post here much, I read once in a while... I still find my home on clubxb because that's where I made a lot of good friends. But have been reading a little more on this site than in the past.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good man. I think some anzo tail lights would look good with that third brake light.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anymore pics of that raceland exhaust? im thinking of picking it up!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will take some tomorrow for ya testa. All I can say is, I am very impressed with the quality. I know Raceland coilovers aren't bad more so for the price, and that's why I bought them... So I figured I'd give the exhaust a try too. And glad I did. Makes a good sound with the OEM header/Spipe.

As far as the tails, I was looking at Anzo's and really don't want to spend 400 bucks on tail lights. Then I looked at the generics and decided against them for now. But I may consider them down the road. I am trying to find someone locally to do a swap with. I'd much rather have all red tails, instead of the oem/tyc tails.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks! i have the eagle eye version of the anzos and love them...money well spent imo
Old 03-18-2012, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazon Amazon
<---$163 Anzo's
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^+1 Anzo's look really sweet or TYC or RS3, Saw both TYC & Anzo's on Jon's Silver TC and it looks really sweet!! Nice job with the TBL!!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...picture+thread

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...thread&page=18

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...88#post3989188
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 for the Anzo's or maybe 05-07 tail lights.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd rather do the oem all red's before anzo's. Not many modded properly modded tC's in my area, so I am pretty much on my own. (i don't find generic hid kits and axle backs from ebay proper modifications. lol)
Old 03-18-2012, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i dont see many modded ones period around here...properly or otherwise lol
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So as requested, more photos of the Raceland Catback...

S pipe. I used new bolts due to having the issue with snapping a OEM bolt. You can use the OEM bolts or cut the welded nut off the S pipe, and use the supplied bolts and gasket.

There is the mid pipe section. (note, I forgot to put the brace back on. oops! That's just from me being lazy/forgetful about laying parts in the garage.)

This secondary S pipe connects the mid pipe to the axle back. It almost looks like it wouldn't work when you have it laid out on the ground. But low and behold, it is a perfect fit.

Here is the axle back section. Clears tow hook fine, and fits in the OEM slot for the tip very well.

And here is the part of the catback I don't like. The damn insert for the tip. I took the 3 hex screws out and attempted to remove the tip and it didn't like that idea. I need to get an answer from Raceland if that is removable or not. I really hope it is.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks...looks good! i asked raceland about removing that silencer and they said its just a matter of removing the bolts and sliding it out. however, like you, i have heard nothing but struggles when trying to remove it
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will have to give it a shot. The hard part with that is, there's nothing to grip onto to pull with. I haven't tried it when it's hot, but I know at cool to touch it feels like it's spot welded in.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me know how it goes!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will do!

And just because I am a photo *****, and can't go a day with out my nikon by my side...

Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-10-SCION-...ht_6376wt_1270

buy these, yea they are knock offs but mine have been going strong for a while.
you just have to transfer old taillight harness to the new ones. make sure you have a few spare fuses on hand cause youll be bound to blow one or two in the process.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^those are the lights i have on mine...no need to ever blow a fuse. they plug right up just like oem
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet, JDM tails on a car never sold in Japan! Gotta love eBay.

Yeah, I am going for 05-07 OEM reds before anything LED. Not a big fan of LED's.

Oh and so that silencer does come out! Just removed mine. It took removing the 4 hex screws, the claw end (business end) of a hammer, and a dremel. Basically, if you want to remove it, cut the lip all the way to the opening of the tip. That allows it to collapse and be pulled out with ease.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone tried putting something in the silencer hole and then tilting it and yanking on it? I had the issue of getting the silencer out on my tsudo, but i just got a stick, maybe a small hammer(the handle side) and stuck it into the hole and tilted the hammer so it wedges itself in there and then pulled.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IDK if the Tsudo silencer is as tight as the Raceland. I had a Tsudo on my xb1... It was tight, but it wasn't anything that a good yank with a screw driver couldn't get out. However this silencer such a perfect fit, that you don't need the bolts to keep it in place. Even while driving on the interstate for 30 minutes. (I tried)

Like I said before, the easiest way to get this particular silencer out is a dremel and the claw end of a hammer.

Quick Reply: My 2nd Scion build with reviews!