Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New Window Problem

Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New Window Problem

I recently had all 4 speakers upgraded and a 4 channel amp added to my system. When I got the car back, the windows wouldnt auto roll and the passenger window wouldnt respond from the drivers side. So yknow, I start by resetting the moonroof, then the drivers window, then moved onto the passenger's window.
This is where the problem lies. If I hold it up for about 5-10 seconds, then hold it down til it stops for 5-10 seconds, it will not roll back up. Sometimes it will move about 2-3 inches up then stop. Sometimes it will stop dead, and sometimes it will slowly retract back downward an inch or two, without my finger on the button. Its acting as if its running out of power and must "recharge", making me wait 10 seconds to see if it will start to completely roll up, sometimes it won't.

I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer, but my question is, since I have every aspect of my audio system aftermarket, (headunit, all 4 speakers+tweeters,amps and sub) will this negate my warranty? Or am I still ok? All audio installs were done by a professional shop.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RTFM

or

search this website
Old 07-07-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No ____? Im asking about the warranty.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member

the installers probably disconnected your negative battery cable when they were performing the install (as they should). You need to reset the windows, that's all. No biggie. Do a search and you'll find a thread that describes the procedure...takes like 2 minutes to do all windows and moonroof.

And no, it won't void your warranty.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let's see, it stands to reason that the stereo shop screwed it up, why should the dealer fix it? Take it back to the stereo shop and tell them to fix it. If they can't then tell them they're paying for the dealership to fix it since regardless of if you voided the warranty or not (you most likely did since it would not be hard to prove that the shoddy install caused the problem and not a manufacturing or design defect)
Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a feeling they'll give me the run around on this one.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boombacloud
the installers probably disconnected your negative battery cable when they were performing the install (as they should). You need to reset the windows, that's all. No biggie. Do a search and you'll find a thread that describes the procedure...takes like 2 minutes to do all windows and moonroof.

And no, it won't void your warranty.
He did try the reset procedure or did I read his post wrong. My contacts are kinda dirty.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Window Problem

Originally Posted by Sean05tC
I recently had all 4 speakers upgraded and a 4 channel amp added to my system. When I got the car back, the windows wouldnt auto roll and the passenger window wouldnt respond from the drivers side. So yknow, I start by resetting the moonroof, then the drivers window, then moved onto the passenger's window.
This is where the problem lies. If I hold it up for about 5-10 seconds, then hold it down til it stops for 5-10 seconds, it will not roll back up. Sometimes it will move about 2-3 inches up then stop. Sometimes it will stop dead, and sometimes it will slowly retract back downward an inch or two, without my finger on the button. Its acting as if its running out of power and must "recharge", making me wait 10 seconds to see if it will start to completely roll up, sometimes it won't.

I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer, but my question is, since I have every aspect of my audio system aftermarket, (headunit, all 4 speakers+tweeters,amps and sub) will this negate my warranty? Or am I still ok? All audio installs were done by a professional shop.

Thanks
Try doing the reset properly first, letsee if that corrects the problem. Proper window reset is roll it halfway down on the door switch on the side you are resetting. Roll the window back up and hold the button for 2-3 seconds. The auto function should then be set and the window should work properly.

If this still doesn't fix it, if you take it to the dealer and tell them what is going on, if they are nice they will probably take a look at it. Unless the stereo place CUT something, I don't think speakers should have any effect on the window system, but YMMV.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member

well the procedure I used was slightly different. I rolled the windows down all the way, and kept holding down the button for 5 seconds and the in-one-motion rocked the button upward to roll the windows up and held it there for 5 seconds. I've had to do it a couple of times because of various installs and it works every time.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, ill try this. Could it be possible that the motor is burning out? Its acting really strange.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Owners manuals are amazing tools. It tells you how to reset your windows and sun roof. I think its page 12 or 17, i dont remember exactly. ive had to do it a couple times with installs ive done.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member

I guess it's possible, but unlikely. The behavior you describe is consistant with the behavior I've seen on windows that need to be reset.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LoL. I know how to reset them, thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Window Problem

Originally Posted by mancide
Originally Posted by Sean05tC

Thanks
Try doing the reset properly first, letsee if that corrects the problem. Proper window reset is roll it halfway down on the door switch on the side you are resetting. Roll the window back up and hold the button for 2-3 seconds. The auto function should then be set and the window should work properly.

If this still doesn't fix it, if you take it to the dealer and tell them what is going on, if they are nice they will probably take a look at it. Unless the stereo place CUT something, I don't think speakers should have any effect on the window system, but YMMV.
You have to take the door panels off and thus exposing the window mechanism. If they were sloppy they could have done damage.

My point remains, it worked fine before he brought it to the shop, he tried resetting everything according to his original post and the passenger side still isn't working.

Now sure, if his dealership is nice gret, they'll take a look and probably figure out what it is but, they're not obligated to. The stereo shop is since again, it worked fine before they had it and when they gave it back it was not working. Unless I'm completely dense.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey did you ever get your passenger window fixed? I just replaced all the speakers in my car and everything works fine. Except now the passenger side window doesn't respond to the window button on either door. The locks work fine, but the window wont budge. Thanks for your reply.

Ive reset my windows and moonroof several times in the past, but this is the first time that I can't get the window to respond at all. I hadn't even run speaker wire and as I went to put the window down, to test clearance for my speaker, nothing happened.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Originally Posted by MountScion1
hey did you ever get your passenger window fixed? I just replaced all the speakers in my car and everything works fine. Except now the passenger side window doesn't respond to the window button on either door. The locks work fine, but the window wont budge. Thanks for your reply.

Ive reset my windows and moonroof several times in the past, but this is the first time that I can't get the window to respond at all. I hadn't even run speaker wire and as I went to put the window down, to test clearance for my speaker, nothing happened.
Did you get this fixed? I'm having the exact same problem. Please let me know!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes I did get this fixed. I can't remember what it was exactly, but I played around with it a bunch more. And I think what happen was that the window lock button might have been on when I was putting the doors back on, so double check that.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

AHAHAHA - that was exactly what it was, too! LoL. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad I could help- anytime