2005-2010 [ANT10]

The paint is peeling!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The paint is peeling!!???

wtf. few minutes ago i was checkin out my car and i saw a tine piece of silver stuck between my back bumper and the body itself. i thought it was a fly stuck in there but when i pulled it off, it was paint! now i got a tiny little back dot on my car. i scratched the black part alittle but very gentlely and i can feel the peel! so i left alone, damn that sucks. there was another one on the bottom side bumper too but scratch it alittle it wasn't peeling, but the one on the back is definitly goin to peel!

so what should i do? go ahead and grab some touch up paint or complain about it to the dealer?

i mean the silver piece is right between the bumper and the body (kinda like putting your two finger together and put a tiny piece of paper between them, it was just sticking out).. Didnt seem like a pebble knocked it off.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go to your dealer right away- paint doesnt have a "warranty" per se- but if it obvious that its not caused buy you- they may help you out...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have the ground effects kit? If so then you can probably squeeze a new paint job out of the dealer. When they install the kit they have to actually cut the bumper. It's kindof a violent process, and paint-damage is a definite possibility. It's worth a shot, you don't have anything to lose.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
I would go to your dealer right away- paint doesnt have a "warranty" per se- but if it obvious that its not caused buy you- they may help you out...
of course paint has warranty, what are you talking about? Go to your dealer and complain - they will have to repaint the bumper.

Usual problem behind this is car wash places - where did you wash your car last time? Using too much pressure at too close of distance (washer nozzle should never be closer than 15-20 inches).... Add some interesting weather conditions (hot) that will expend bumper a bit and a kid using high pressure washer to scrub dirt at 0.1 inch distance and there you go...

Of course, there could be always an conspiracy theory and your tC might be an lime (heh) but this is what happens. I told guy washing my corolla around million times not to wash it so closely at full blast and then finally I noticed 2-3 places where the paint just peeled off... He also managed to mess up my spyder tail lights by doing the same thing (weather strip)
Old 09-24-2004, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny I got on here to post along the same lines. I just got done washing my car. I wash my car at least once a week, every week. There are several spots on my tC that were not there last week. They are bugs, and bird sh*t. I washed it all off and I got to looking the paint is stained. Anyone else have this problem. Also the paint on my hood is starting to bubble. It like the kind of bubbles that looks like it's rusting under it. Think the dealership would cover the bug stains? It's not like I don't take care of my car but I have never owned a car that stained in less than a week.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did do that automatic car wash thingy atleast 3 times, it was weekly. then 2 weeks later i just hand washed it, next week later i found a piece of siler stick out..

i really dont wanna go throught that paint job thingy. that painting the whole bumper thing? i thought they would just do a touch up....

ill see what i will do...
Old 09-25-2004, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Scion does indeed cover your paint... as far as I know I think it is 5 years/unlimited miles. Yet, this is a "limited" warranty, so I would talk to your local service adviser. I know a pressure washer at close range isn't good, but a auto car wash should do that. The dealer service station should be able to take care of that. Good luck!

Spwolf: heh... lime, that was cool!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I've had a few paint "chips" on the top of my rear bumper since the day after I got my car. I wonder if there is something with the silver TCs as mine is also silver, and all the ones with this "issue" are silver. Strange.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, this worries me too. Silver is my color and this car will be seeing 50-60K in it's first year. I hope it doesn't come out looking like it's been all janked.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like I said people.. the more of us who complain about this problem, the better is the chance that Scion will have to do something about it. I will be mentioning these posts in my letters to the dealer and to Scion. Obviously I am not the only one (especially with a silver tc) having these issues.

Ref:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28698
Old 10-08-2004, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weird. I had this same problem on my 02 civic. The paint started peeling on the hood at about 3k. Unfortunately, the dealer refused to repaint it . They gave me the usual bull____ about small rocks and road debrise causing the peeling
. I eventually spoke to the regional rep. who finally agreed to repaint the hood because of the low miles and extensive peeling involved.
Although they refused to acknowledge that this was a quality control issue. Well, at least I assume it was quality control....Maybe there's a problem in general with silver paint? My silver tC is spotless and scratchless at 3k. My civic had NO dings or scratches on the paint right up until I sold it. I'm hoping for the best .....
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

I doubt it. My 97 Trans Am has 100K on it and the paint is pretty much chip-free.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KWKSLVR
I doubt it. My 97 Trans Am has 100K on it and the paint is pretty much chip-free.
Nice. My 1996 Corsica has a killer paint problem. So its not impossible for car companys to still have some minor problems with paint on a car.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hope that scion will do something about that, for it is quite unreasonable to have the car for less than 3 months and the paint is already chipping and peeling. So far I have only heard about the paint problem on the silver streak and the black cherry pearl. any other models having this problem?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be going to arbitration with Scion within the next few weeks. Please help me out by posting pictures of the front of your car. I'd like to be able to show them pictures of several colors that do not seem to chip badly or are not prone to it, and ones like mine, the silver, and the black cherry pearl which seem to have chipping problems the worse. So, again, if your car has chips on the front- post it. If it doesn't- post it.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. And, if by some miracle I am able to get them to pay for repairs or fix the paint on the car, it could benefit all of you that are having this problem.

Please see:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...013&highlight=
Old 11-24-2004, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any problems with black sand pearl anyone?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you guys waxed your cars. Cause i was at the dealer complaining about the rattle and i just took it and washed it. The sales person said "She sure is clean but tell me you didnt wax it" I said no not yet. He said " sometimes waxing a car before it has 6500 miles on it the paint may chip or bubble". I was like oh $hit really. So i am not going to be waxing my car for some time, And i was about to wax on Thanx Giving morning. :?

Hope that helps. Have a Happy Thanx Giving.

Zero
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has nothing to do with the topic but my headlight is getting those sun cracks in it..anyone else??

can i fix it??
Old 11-24-2004, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

Never wash your TC at a car wash!!! Sounds corny but Mr. Clean's Auto Dry worked wonders for mine.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zeroescence
Have you guys waxed your cars. Cause i was at the dealer complaining about the rattle and i just took it and washed it. The sales person said "She sure is clean but tell me you didnt wax it" I said no not yet. He said " sometimes waxing a car before it has 6500 miles on it the paint may chip or bubble". I was like oh $hit really. So i am not going to be waxing my car for some time, And i was about to wax on Thanx Giving morning. :?

Hope that helps. Have a Happy Thanx Giving.

Zero
According to what I'd deem experts, it's ok to wax your new car:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled37.htm[/url]

Quick Reply: The paint is peeling!!???