Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

QUESTION about the steering wheeel ?!!!! ?????? :'(

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:42 AM

Default QUESTION about the steering wheeel ?!!!! ?????? :'(

i just got my car today and its my fiiiirst car but ANYWHO the steering wheel is like tight/stifff.. idk how else to describe it. but when i make a turn or something i feeel like it requires way more effort then other cars ive driven. is this normal ORRR is it messed up ????? :'(
Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 AM

p.s HERE IT ISSSSSSSSS ))))))

Name:  IMG_7530.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 01-21-2011, 04:47 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

power steering going out?

do you hear any whining? chances are you just aren't used to it.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 AM

what do you mean whining? & how do i know if the power steering is out?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM
SL Member

Hey! And welcome to the forums. First did you buy from a private seller? Or off the lot? Its most likely your power steering. Your power steering has a lot to do with the way your car handles. A sudden change in steering could be any/all of the following: low fluid, a broken belt (there is a belt that connects the engine's main drive pulley to the power steering, alternator, air conditioning, etc. pulleys) or the power steering pump went bad. Before you take your car to the shop, check the fluid and the belts to make sure they are OK. Note that loose belts are the same as broken belts. The belt MUST have the correct tension in it for it to work properly. In virtually all moder cars, belt tension is set with a spring loaded pulley that should always maintain the correct tension. You should check out the belt tensioner too. If all these check out properly, then the power steering pump is the next most likely culprit. Finally, the power steering rack - the thing that couples the hydraulic pressure from the power-steering pump into the steering mechanism - may need replacement or rebuilding. If u bought it off the lot you should take it back and have them check it out. If its a private seller take it to a trustworthy mechanic. ;)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 AM

Thanks that was a realllly goood answer. but yeah i dont wanna have to take it to a mechanic because i JUST bought it + it'll be expensive ;( but yeaaah grrrrrrr i wish i was good with cars because i really have no clue what you said lol
Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Oh wow
Old 01-21-2011, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tc steering is stiffer then other cars. if any of ur friends have one go try to turn there wheel just to make sure. i dont want to say its fine and then something go truely wrong. but when i first got the car its stiffer to turn but i like that. its more sporty.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe u need to work out! lol kidding. but toyotas steering are stiff.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, ive noticed my tC steering wheel is harder to turn than all the other cars ive driven. but you might want to check out your power steering stuff.

btw, i was on your thread before when u were trying to decide which color you were gonna get. im glad you got white. stick or auto?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by excaka
Hey! And welcome to the forums. First did you buy from a private seller? Or off the lot? Its most likely your power steering. Your power steering has a lot to do with the way your car handles. A sudden change in steering could be any/all of the following: low fluid, a broken belt (there is a belt that connects the engine's main drive pulley to the power steering, alternator, air conditioning, etc. pulleys) or the power steering pump went bad. Before you take your car to the shop, check the fluid and the belts to make sure they are OK. Note that loose belts are the same as broken belts. The belt MUST have the correct tension in it for it to work properly. In virtually all moder cars, belt tension is set with a spring loaded pulley that should always maintain the correct tension. You should check out the belt tensioner too. If all these check out properly, then the power steering pump is the next most likely culprit. Finally, the power steering rack - the thing that couples the hydraulic pressure from the power-steering pump into the steering mechanism - may need replacement or rebuilding. If u bought it off the lot you should take it back and have them check it out. If its a private seller take it to a trustworthy mechanic. ;)
that's just scaring her now lol if i was a new car owner and read that i'd get pretty worried.

first, ask about the symptoms, and see if they hear or feel anything out of the ordinary. THEN go and tell them what could be wrong. otherwise you risk scaring the person.

unless your car makes grinding noises, whining noises or just sounds really weird when you turn the steering wheel then you probably just aren't used to it.

heres a quick test, go outside and turn your steering wheel till the wheel locks, let us know how many turns that took also listen for weird sounds. the sound right at the end before the wheel locks is normal.

Last edited by aen; 01-21-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by jeremydoc
yeah, ive noticed my tC steering wheel is harder to turn than all the other cars ive driven. but you might want to check out your power steering stuff.

btw, i was on your thread before when u were trying to decide which color you were gonna get. im glad you got white. stick or auto?

im glad tooo lol i LOVE the white. & its auto.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by allisoncasey
im glad tooo lol i LOVE the white. & its auto.

thats cool. well, hope u figure out your steering wheel stuff, and hope you enjoy your car. you'll find a lot of good info on this forum. u'll soon become addicted as many of us here have. haha
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 AM

me toooo. & thanks lol
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SW FTMFW!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a normal transition to the rack & pinion steering to me. Nothing to worry about.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice, SW FTW.
But yeah you'll get used to the steering wheel.
Dang these tCs do look like chick cars when there stock.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea the tc steering is stiffer than other cars, I can tell quite a bit of a diference going between it and my Ranger. I personally like the tighter steering, gives you a better feeling for the car imho
Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by allisoncasey
Thanks that was a realllly goood answer. but yeah i dont wanna have to take it to a mechanic because i JUST bought it + it'll be expensive ;( but yeaaah grrrrrrr i wish i was good with cars because i really have no clue what you said lol
1. Did you buy it used? What year is it? I know it's not the new 2011 design because of the roofline.

If you bought it used, your power steering could be going out or maybe you just need some fluid. I think you just need fluid.

2. Basically, power steering is what turns your wheels. It's like a computer. If you didn't have it, imagine trying to turn your wheels using your arms alone. It's really, really hard, considering each wheel weighs at the very least 50+ pounds (so at the very least, 200 pounds). So power steering gives you power to turn those wheels! It's like heavy steroids, except not.

3. What you'll want to do is check your power steering fluid under the hood.

I don't have a tC, so I don't know where the spot is for it, but if you have your car manual that came with your car, look for the section about power steering. Then check the level. If it's low, you need to add some. This is usually the problem.

Turning your steering wheel shouldn't be too tough, and it sounds like you're having a difficult time, so I'd suggest looking at your fluid level first. You'll want to buy power steering fluid according to your manual. AutoZone and places like that can actually help you buy the right kind for your car.

4. If you have no improvement in your steering, yes, you'll want to bring it to someone you can trust. The dealerships will charge you an arm and a leg, so try a local, trustworthy mechanic. If you have a friend, that's who you'll want to see that way the mechanics don't low-ball you. They have a habit of taking advantage of people who don't know jack about cars.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

hmm, i always felt the tc steering was way too soft, lol

Quick Reply: QUESTION about the steering wheeel ?!!!! ?????? :'(