2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rear ABS LOCK???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear ABS LOCK???

i know its been talked about over and over...if i didnt post this...someone else would have...anyways...now 3 tcs have had this prob....is anyone else scared?...i mean like freaked out scared?....i dont want my tc anymore...sunroof, hu cover, white spots, rattles, all dont matter much to me...but this...this is just too much...im on the verge of taking my deposit back....wondering about everyone else's take on this
Old 08-19-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go for it- I can gaurantee that someone in line behind you for one will swoop it up!!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had a problem like this in mine as of yet (and I hope I never do)... but if that day comes, I will have a different car the next day, I can gaurantee that.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

geez- how hard was it to do a search?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24330
Old 08-19-2004, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll start getting worried if Toyota does a recall, or mine locks and does somersaults.

You guys are too jumpy.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by sTalking_Goat
I'll start getting worried if Toyota does a recall, or mine locks and does somersaults.

You guys are too jumpy.
I'll second that!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a problem similiar to this. Well I wouldn't call it a problem, since it just happened one time, but these threads brought it to my attention. I was driving down a straight road coming to a red light and braking the car. And for no reason the ABS turned on and the backend fishtailed a bit, but I brought it around. I was only going about 25 and slowing down at the light. The roads were dry so I don't see why the ABS turned on, because I didn't slam on the brake. I guess it's just something we all have to be aware of, hopefully this was only a one time deal.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by C Money
I had a problem similiar to this. Well I wouldn't call it a problem, since it just happened one time, but these threads brought it to my attention. I was driving down a straight road coming to a red light and braking the car. And for no reason the ABS turned on and the backend fishtailed a bit, but I brought it around. I was only going about 25 and slowing down at the light. The roads were dry so I don't see why the ABS turned on, because I didn't slam on the brake. I guess it's just something we all have to be aware of, hopefully this was only a one time deal.
just to repeat - ABS does not brake, it releases the brakes so your tires will maintain proper contact with surface (they wont just slide without control). It is quite possible that there was something on the road that caused your wheels to lock and your back to fishtail, in certainly would not be an ABS problem though even if it is car problem.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it would be stupid to not buy the car because of any issues other than the brakes...

hu door, spots on the roof....minor issues...

and the brakes have not been common...I'm suring we are hearing about most if not all the braking incidents....what about the other thousands that have not experienced it....many other vehicles have similar issues, but until a recall is issued most people don't know about it.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

No reason to freak out because of a couple of idiotic drivers who don't know how to control their car.

Don't be so gullible, and don't take what you read here as word of god. Just because someone SAYS it was the car's fault...SWEARS they were only going 35mph....SWEARS they weren't racing or driving aggresively, that it just happened "out of the blue". Yeah, right.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

If this becomes as common as the sunroof popping, then I'll worry. Until then though, I'll take it as isolated incidents that could have had other variables involved we arent hearing about.

However, I certainly wouldnt go as far as to call these posters "a couple of idiotic drivers who dont know how to control their car." These might turn out to be just the first in a number of these incidents. Then who is the idiot? So cut them some slack.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky
No reason to freak out because of a couple of idiotic drivers who don't know how to control their car.

Don't be so gullible, and don't take what you read here as word of god. Just because someone SAYS it was the car's fault...SWEARS they were only going 35mph....SWEARS they weren't racing or driving aggresively, that it just happened "out of the blue". Yeah, right.
Well of course unfortunately we have to survive on their word alone. But it's not unlikely they were going faster or hit the brakes much harder than they give themselves credit for.

But to the first post: Don't get a tC, we don't need another whiney _____ on the forums

Also, if they do recall, that would be great because that means they've indentified the problem and will fix it.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my tc for nearly two months now.. I got the second one at the dealership, third in my area.

I've driven the hell out of this car.. everything from stop and go traffic to slow manuevering to sharp turning with downshifts to taking on some empty back-roads to flying up an empty bridge at high speeds and have not had one bad experience with the breaks, and trust me, I've tired them.

Mark one for the tC drivers who haven't had break problems. (Knock on wood.. errr aluminum A/C **** :D ...)

Makes you wonder if this is an allocation or batch problem :?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Maybe this is how they are punishing the uncompliant dealers, since they can't do much else...

Old 08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm not worried at all for this happening again, hopefully it was just a one time thing. Just to respond back to you tough guys I'm not complaining about the car at all. I love my TC and would keep even if there was a big brake problem. Just thought you guys should be aware of a potential problem with the braking system. If you dont want to read about brake problems then dont read the damn posts. Afterall, this stuff shouldn't concern you guys since youre "Professional Drivers" ... right
Old 08-19-2004, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member

Just chatted with Moe at scion.com....
They allegedly know nothing about the brake problem (if there is one.... none on mine so far....)....
They also never heard of the moonroof creaking......

What can you do???
Old 08-19-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would advise everyone who experiences these problems to take it to a dealer right away, after it first happens. then they can hopefully figure out the problem and fix it. if it happened once, why wouldn't it happen again? fix it early. most people i read about are saying that they noticed something small at first. then something worse happened.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by whatCever
Just chatted with Moe at scion.com....
They allegedly know nothing about the brake problem (if there is one.... none on mine so far....)....
They also never heard of the moonroof creaking......

What can you do???
Does Moe know what Scion is? What a waste of air this guy is...
Old 08-19-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He has a lot of free time since the 3 stooges went off the air. :D
Old 08-20-2004, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure it's just an ABS software issue. Toyota will probably come out with a new software flash which should fix the problem.

Although ... many of these Scion owners ARE quite young...we may end up chalking all this up to a LACK OF DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Too many "fast and furious wanabees"?? Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Rear ABS LOCK???