Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

S2000; Anyone ever drive one? Own one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default S2000; Anyone ever drive one? Own one?

I have been curious about the S2000 Lately how does it rate up there with the tC? I know its a whole different ball game being the S2000 is RWD and Much more power... But it would be cool if someone has had first hand experience on them... How is the insurance you think on them? Its jsut I have seen used ones going for the same price as what my 07 tC values at.. Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, whole different ball game. you really can't compare the tc. tc is a commuter car, s2k is a performance sport compact. its like apples and oranges.

if you're looking for more performance and fun, s2k > tc

however, reliability wise, tc > s2k imo

btw, i've driven/worked on a supercharged s2k....its very cramped quarters in there. For a daily driver, i couldn't do it. then again, i'm 6'1" 210.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have personally driven one, it was fun im not going to lie, but I love my tC. So glad i went with the tC compared to the s2000, also because I saved a bunch of money...

Insurance was more then my tC, another reason why I went with it, and also you never know when you are going to need back seats... they come in handy...

just my 2 cents...
Old 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my girlfriend has an 06 S2000... i cant drive stick so i havent driven it... i dont like it, im only 5'8" and i find the car too small, but my gf is the same height and loves it...

insurance is in her dads name so its not THAT bad... but yeah, ONE OF EACH FTW!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by orangesuburban
my girlfriend has an 06 S2000... i cant drive stick so i havent driven it... i dont like it, im only 5'8" and i find the car too small, but my gf is the same height and loves it...

OWCH! girl drives stick but u don't????

its not that u "can't" drive stick....you just don't know how yet. No one is born knowing how to drive stick, u have to learn/teach yourself. and if your GF has an s2k, i'd say you have the perfect learning grounds.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are two vehicles that shouldn't be compared. They're not even close to the same class or performance or price. You either want one or the other or you don't.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove and s2k the first year they came out.... I really didn't care for it because of how small it was on the inside. It was a peppy car though.... I just felt like it was a quarter life crisis kind of a car.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

she knows how to drive a manual gearbox and u dont??!?!?!!

have your ********* dropped yet?

just kidding

i have driven one, VERY DIFFERENT from a tc, but like stated above its like apples and oranges, to get the best idea, go to the honda dealership and test drive one....thats what i do alot of the times when im bored, go test drive a couple different cars....
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

whats the big deal with not knowing how to drive a stick? i have never needed to know how? when i get in a car i just want to drive i dont want to think about it... its one thing on the track, but in city driving it gets old! and besides that, i like my cruise control... the s2k has cruise but not to many other stick have it...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM

A lot of 5spds come with cruise control.

As for the comparison, its WAY different. The s2k loves corners, and higher g turning, but not straight line launching (IMO). Also, its a RWD vs FWD, vert vs hatch, 6 cyl vs 4 cyl, and so on....

As for it being reliable, its a Honda. Needs to have the normal service done, and thats about it. Some kids to manage to break things, as with any car, but other then that, its stable.

To me, its not a bad weekend type car, but def. not something I can use for a DD.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

it was a joke.....

i had a 1991 Laser Turbo that had cruise control, 5 spd, in fact, every manual car i have driven that has been made in the last 20 years has cruise control....
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought you had to have DBW to have cruise control on a manual tranny.

yeah, its a honda, but its also a 12:1 compression hi revving motor motor. if you abuse it enough, it will have problems.

if you don't drive stick, then you dont' even know.....
you haven't actually driven a car till you've driven stick....in an auto, you just steer and go along for the ride.

driving stick gives you much more flexibility in the event of an emergency situation etc...

i don't have to "think about" driving my car any more than auto drivers have to. Its instinct. I have more trouble driving autos now (i like to be in control of the car, not the ecu) than i ever had learning to drive stick.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah I hear the S2K is very cramped for space... Im 6'1" 208lbs soo prolly just a fun weekend car becuase I drive about 75miles a day in my tC soo im sure i would get tired of an S2K quickly for long distance driving
Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

whats the big deal with not knowing how to drive a stick? i have never needed to know how? when i get in a car i just want to drive i dont want to think about it... its one thing on the track, but in city driving it gets old! and besides that, i like my cruise control... the s2k has cruise but not to many other stick have it...
When u learn to drive stick, and drive it everyday, come talk to me again. I haven't known someone who doesn't love to be in total control. My Manual tC has cruise control.... so?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

S2000's are really fun to drive. I've been watching my friends S2K and its a blast to drive. But I don't see it as my daily driver. He has it lowered on Teins and really loud exhausts... so maybe thats why I wouldn't want it to be my daily driver. I'm not sure how stock is but I'm sure it can't take the twisties like the Tein S2K.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

s2k's are awesome cars, friend of mine DD's one and it's a blast. it is kinda small though, but if you're buying a sports car then you're looking at performance more than if you can recline your seat.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, the S2000 is no comparison. Totally in a different league. It is a seriously fast car with plenty of room for mods. Its small, nimble, and hot looking. It is crazy. I dont own one but i've seen in one and driven one. They are incredibly fun to drive and I felt like i was in a cockpit of a jet. The car is serious fun and may be a heavy consideration for my next car. I love the car to death. Plenty of room for mods to make it faster and sexier. But as for a daily driver, it is not that unless your kinda short. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs. and its alright for a short amount of time, but after a while its not comfy. Its small as hell in there for the big boys. But it is a nice car. Since my TC is paid off, maybe in the future i'll pick up an s2000 for a fun drive and keep the TC for the daily driver.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a control thing. If you are out in her car, she controls you and the car. If you're fine with that, then so be it. But don't you think it would be nice for her to have the option of letting you drive it from time to time?

You don't get in an S2000 so much as you strap one on. The tC's torque kicks you in the back, while the high reving 2k pulls you from the belly button. Shifting gears is like flipping switches, very short throws. Ever spin an engine up to 9k rpm? it's a hoot. The 2k is infinitely more fun to drive, but it would be horrible everyday car. In short, it's a hell of a toy.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i was not impressed with the honda when i drove one around for an afternoon (dealership gave me the car for the day). you almost have to rev to 6k or something stupid like that to even keep up with traffic because down low there is NOTHING. kinda cramped for me too (6'2, 180).

Quick Reply: S2000; Anyone ever drive one? Own one?