Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion tC - Worst Snow Vehicle Ever Made

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The last snow storm in December when we got 20 inches i couldnt get down my driveway for a week because it was so high. My dad made ruts with his expedition so when i would drive to it would just lift the car up and spin. lol Overall though it did good on snow that was on the road and stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
I put racing tires on the car a few months ago.
you're blaming the car because you put race tires and tried driving in the snow?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^lol i have hankook rs3's and my car is the worst car ever to drive in snow. so its been sitten in the garage for over a week now...pos snow
Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

i have 225/35 nankings on my 18x10 wheels on right now and it was like 2-3 feet of snow. i was able to drive through it :D
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Now you all remember me. I've been an owner since the first model in 2005 (actually ordered in fall of 2004). But I'm done with the tC. Never have I seen such a poor performing car in my life in the snow or any precipitation. Heavy rain, sleet, hail, snow and this car does not deliver. There is no excuse for it to be stuck in the picture shown below. We got 20+" a few days ago and 10"+ last night. I tried to get to work today and left my place at 6:30am. My origin is actually about 10 feet in front of where the car is in the picture below. I missed the bus and spent 1 hr moving no where in the parking lot/street. I had people help and eventually someone was able to move the car 10 feet half way to my parking spot. I called out of work today and I'm going to sleep. My next car will NOT be a Scion tC!

First of all why the hell would you attempt to drive in that ?! im in maryland right now and yes its bad .. and even with my car on tein springs im not even thinking about driving in snow whether they had springs or not.. as much snow as we have gotten its not a bright idea genius.. take your nap..
Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn the support here is fantastic!
Hey necromancer! I remember you! Nice to see you again. So I'll be serious with you, no joking like others saying you "FAIL".

What tires do you have on your tC. I agree that the all-season tires just dont seem to be able to handle anything over 4 inches of snow. Maybe 5 inches if you're lucky. I know the ground clearance of the tC is only about 6 inches. Otherwise you begin to lift the car off the ground (no traction) running into snow higher than 6 inches. I dont think it's so much that the tC is bad in snow as it just needs snow tires due to the stock size tire being so wide/low profile.

The wrx has awd so that is how it "cheats" with wider tires. Even the Civic Si has our size tires and I bet people are complaining about those tires too. Like the tire rack had an article about wider+snow+non-snow tires = no good. and yeah i agree.

I think the best thing is to save your money and get a set of wheels and snow tires to throw on in cases like this

but definitely let me know what tires you do have on there.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Hey necromancer! I remember you! Nice to see you again. So I'll be serious with you, no joking like others saying you "FAIL".

What tires do you have on your tC. I agree that the all-season tires just dont seem to be able to handle anything over 4 inches of snow. Maybe 5 inches if you're lucky. I know the ground clearance of the tC is only about 6 inches. Otherwise you begin to lift the car off the ground (no traction) running into snow higher than 6 inches. I dont think it's so much that the tC is bad in snow as it just needs snow tires due to the stock size tire being so wide/low profile.

The wrx has awd so that is how it "cheats" with wider tires. Even the Civic Si has our size tires and I bet people are complaining about those tires too. Like the tire rack had an article about wider+snow+non-snow tires = no good. and yeah i agree.

I think the best thing is to save your money and get a set of wheels and snow tires to throw on in cases like this

but definitely let me know what tires you do have on there.
I'm pretty sure they are Yokahomas S-Drives. "Aggressive Grip Smooth Handling Impeccable Control" - my a$$!! LOL. I actually think I got lifted up today because I got a ton of snow under my car. I tried to stick the shovel under it and it just got stuck. Also when I got out of the car, the snow was at the same level as the bottom of the door opening.

I just woke up and my car is still stuck like in the picture LOL! No one moved it.

About the tires being wide, I thought that is a good thing? I also got a lot of snow and ice stuck in my wheel well that I haven't been able to move.

I can't buy new tires, I have no where to put them haha. Plus if I changed them myself I bet one would fall off down the street ahhaha!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Now you all remember me. I've been an owner since the first model in 2005 (actually ordered in fall of 2004). But I'm done with the tC. Never have I seen such a poor performing car in my life in the snow or any precipitation. Heavy rain, sleet, hail, snow and this car does not deliver. There is no excuse for it to be stuck in the picture shown below. We got 20+" a few days ago and 10"+ last night. I tried to get to work today and left my place at 6:30am. My origin is actually about 10 feet in front of where the car is in the picture below. I missed the bus and spent 1 hr moving no where in the parking lot/street. I had people help and eventually someone was able to move the car 10 feet half way to my parking spot. I called out of work today and I'm going to sleep. My next car will NOT be a Scion tC!

I dunno what you are doing wrong this is the 3rd snow fall ive had my tc for and i have had no problems with it!! She is a beast in the snow.

Your problem is either A. need new tires or B. Need new driver

Nothing wrong with the tc here in PA
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

necromancer, you need to just shut up and listen to yourself. you say your using yokohama s-drive? i got news for you, THOSE ARE SUMMER TIRES!!! summer tires are call summer tires for a reason, they are for driving in warm weather climates and seasons. they are absolutely useless in snow.

i'm driving a lowered turbo tc in the snow, i haven't missed a day of work when we've been open, and i've given several co-workers rides home because they were too scared to drive. is the car utterly unstoppable? absolutely not. this is where the driver needs to use skills, knowledge and wisdom to negotiate the cars maneuvering.

apparently you have no sense and do not understand a thing about what effects a cars ability to traverse snow.

first and foremost is tires, tires are what lets the car acclerate, turn and brake. if your tires are not designed to handle snow, you are already off to a very bad start. next up is weight, ground clearance and drivetrain. and trust me, good winter tires can compensate for every one of those variables with the exception of ground clearance.

i'm sorry you are upset that your SUMMER tires have failed you in our record breaking snow storm, and you're probably miserable with cabin fever right now as you run out of food and toilet paper, but getting on the scion car forum to blast what is arguable the greatest scion of all time just to start arguments can not be the only thing you can think of to pass the time. find something productive to do, like researching a better set of tires for your poor car.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tires are like shoes, dress appropriately
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
necromancer, you need to just shut up and listen to yourself. you say your using yokohama s-drive? i got news for you, THOSE ARE SUMMER TIRES!!! summer tires are call summer tires for a reason, they are for driving in warm weather climates and seasons. they are absolutely useless in snow.

i'm driving a lowered turbo tc in the snow, i haven't missed a day of work when we've been open, and i've given several co-workers rides home because they were too scared to drive. is the car utterly unstoppable? absolutely not. this is where the driver needs to use skills, knowledge and wisdom to negotiate the cars maneuvering.

apparently you have no sense and do not understand a thing about what effects a cars ability to traverse snow.

first and foremost is tires, tires are what lets the car acclerate, turn and brake. if your tires are not designed to handle snow, you are already off to a very bad start. next up is weight, ground clearance and drivetrain. and trust me, good winter tires can compensate for every one of those variables with the exception of ground clearance.

i'm sorry you are upset that your SUMMER tires have failed you in our record breaking snow storm, and you're probably miserable with cabin fever right now as you run out of food and toilet paper, but getting on the scion car forum to blast what is arguable the greatest scion of all time just to start arguments can not be the only thing you can think of to pass the time. find something productive to do, like researching a better set of tires for your poor car.
I'm going back to sleep then. Actually I'm going outside to try to move my car again LOL. Absolutely no support on here with the exception of a few. Basically what all the mean people are saying is:

"Invest $500-$1000 in snow tires that will be beneficial for 4-5 days of the 365 days a year. Although those summer Yokohomas are great for 360 days, they suck those other 5"

hehe
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going back to sleep then. Actually I'm going outside to try to move my car again LOL. Absolutely no support on here with the exception of a few. Basically what all the mean people are saying is:

"Invest $500-$1000 in snow tires that will be beneficial for 4-5 days of the 365 days a year. Although those summer Yokohomas are great for 360 days, they suck those other 5"

hehe
well, there are summer tires for summer, and winter tires for winter...and hey, there are these tires call all-season tires...they're tires that are like good for 365 days a year.

they aren't quite as grippy as summer tires...and they aren't quite as good in the snow as winter tires...but they can still get the car around without too many problems. like i have good year eagle f1 all season tires. they work great, but hell, even 80 dollar kumho ecsta ASX tires work fine.

as for support, i'm sorry, i can't support stupid people. that is why i never ever voted for george bush.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of support are you talking about? what do you want people to say "OMG you got stuck in the snow?? That is horrible". you could stuck in 20" of snow, get over it and move on. It is not the cars fault.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default For my reference for future tire purchases:

Went outside and looked at tires:

Rear: Yokohama AS430 all season tires
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/as430.aspx
Front: Primewell PZ900 ultra high performance tires
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...rimewell/PZ900

LOL. I may update this as I can't really see the model on the actual tire but the tread looks exactly the same. Rears are confirmed though.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

OP is full of FAIL. You do not have the right tires for the conditions surrounding you and you blame the car? They're called winter tires, invest in a set
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

summer tires are also designed not to be used in conditions even near freezing. The rubber in the tires is not capable of handling those temperatures.

You have a lot of physics against you...and you blame everyone else.

I run continental extremecontact DWS. Insane traction. Dry, rain, and good snow.

Invest in an all-season, and accept that there is no perfect tires.

Like i said before, support is not aggreance. But apparently your being too big of a _____ to accept that.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Face it...Your tires are not good for snow. Get some real snow tires and you'll be fine. Summer tire compound is not meant to withstand the freezing temperatures and will perform very poorly when the rubber is cold. Also he tread pattern is not ideal for snow traction.

Also, WTH are you putting high performance tires on the front and all season on the back?????????????? If anything it should be the other way around....It's FWD!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, looking at the pictures, the tread pattern is no where near the same, anyway, the yoko's should be okay, my mom has those on her car, but you said those are on the REAR wheels, which means they're doing NOTHING because the car is front wheel drive.

then, what the hell is primewell? sounds like some sleazy made in china house brand tire. this is what i pulled up on primewell: "Primewell is a cheap, bargain-basement entry-level tire imported from China. Durable and safe enough but in no way is it a great tire. Primewell is a tire aimed at people who only see value as a dollar sign, not what you are getting for that dollar."

so cheap and mismatched tires. you get what you paid for.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Wow this thread might win the fail of the year award. Get some blizzacks if your driving in snow like that, or just stay home. I have blizzacks and I stayed home today school = over rated when yours is the only one left open lol.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i aggree with everyone here cant expect summer tires to work in the snow...point is right tires and good driver with skills anything can be done..but never blame the car
its and awesome car im running my stock tires now yea there might not be the best tires for the snow but gets me through some pretty deep snow but then again ive driven in snow lots of times and know how to control the car not saying you dont but you get my point

Quick Reply: Scion tC - Worst Snow Vehicle Ever Made