Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

So is the HATCH RATTLE TSB something the dealer has to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So is the HATCH RATTLE TSB something the dealer has to do?

Well?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes...

If you want you can find the TSB online and order the parts yourself, but then you'll have to pay. Pretty pointless if you ask me.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had the dealer perform 2 different "hatch rattle tsb's". first time, they replaced the hatch struts (supposedly)....still rattled. Second time, they replaced the bump stops. still rattled.

i've complained about it numerous other times, but every time, the dealership either ignores me altogether, says they can't hear it, or that theres nothing else they can do.

I even went so far as to bring it to a Lemon law hearing, where toyota's attorney basically implied that since i had subwoofers in the hatch, there was no way to prove that the rattle wasn't caused by them.

I said, "how about the fact that it rattle BEFORE i ever had subs?" he said there was no proof of that.

I said "how about the fact that hundreds of other tc owners have experienced the exact same issues, as evidenced by simply googling "scion tc hatch rattle" and reading the forums?"---he said, apparently, that that argument is based on heresay, since no other tc owners were present with me to corroborate.

basically, they leave you high and dry. so you might as well just try to solve it yourself. I'm going to go ape on it this weekend, and rip out all those rear interior trim pieces and the plastic ribs/fins...since i believe they are the culprits.

the rattle has gotten so damn loud in the last week or so, I can hear it OVER MY STEREO/RADIO!!!! Its ridiculous. its like on constant rattle. totally unacceptable.

but hey, does scion care? heck no. not as long as they're still selling cars....
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
i've had the dealer perform 2 different "hatch rattle tsb's". first time, they replaced the hatch struts (supposedly)....still rattled. Second time, they replaced the bump stops. still rattled.

i've complained about it numerous other times, but every time, the dealership either ignores me altogether, says they can't hear it, or that theres nothing else they can do.

I even went so far as to bring it to a Lemon law hearing, where toyota's attorney basically implied that since i had subwoofers in the hatch, there was no way to prove that the rattle wasn't caused by them.

I said, "how about the fact that it rattle BEFORE i ever had subs?" he said there was no proof of that.

I said "how about the fact that hundreds of other tc owners have experienced the exact same issues, as evidenced by simply googling "scion tc hatch rattle" and reading the forums?"---he said, apparently, that that argument is based on heresay, since no other tc owners were present with me to corroborate.

basically, they leave you high and dry. so you might as well just try to solve it yourself. I'm going to go ape on it this weekend, and rip out all those rear interior trim pieces and the plastic ribs/fins...since i believe they are the culprits.

the rattle has gotten so damn loud in the last week or so, I can hear it OVER MY STEREO/RADIO!!!! Its ridiculous. its like on constant rattle. totally unacceptable.

but hey, does scion care? heck no. not as long as they're still selling cars....
that sucks.

I think the newest TSB is where the place some foam ona certain part of the hatch.

BTW, I meant if the dealer HAS to do it for me. I dont want to do it myself.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats kind of your fault. Why would you leave the subs in there while they checked it ?

You and i know the subs arent doing it but why give them a reason to blame you.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the foam is something I suggested. Add some foam on the bumper stops. Foam tape I call it, you can find it at lowe's. It's also know as weather stripping. Apply some 1/2" thick foam on the bumper stops, see if that stops the rattles.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TTCCC

Thats kind of your fault. Why would you leave the subs in there while they checked it ?

You and i know the subs arent doing it but why give them a reason to blame you.
No one checked. I was in a deposition with a lawyer, under oath... i'm not some d-bag whose gonna lie about something so trivial like that.

the dealer has seen the subs before, i'm not going to pull my 36x14x14 box loaded with 2 beefy 10" subs out every friggin time i go to the dealer for some stupid rattle.

i know magnusson-moss, its not my responsibility, its on them to prove that the subwoofers caused the rattle. I have evidence that it is a DEFECT with the car.... for instance, there's TSB'S for it. zomg....
Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ well, to play the devil's advocate, a TSB means "Technical Service Bulletin" and not "recall." The TSBs that are issued out by Scion, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc, are considered to be an addendum to the repair manual; instructions on how to repair something if it should break, or fail. They are done under the regular factory warranty parameters (in the case of the rattle, 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first) and they do not extend that warranty. So, if you have this, or any other concern in which a TSB was issued out for, and you are outside the warranty parameters, you must pay for this service to be done at a dealer, although somtimes they are nice and will do it free as a "goodwill." A recall, on the other hand, is what a company would define as a “known” issue that they are repairing or fixing regardless of warranty, regardless of mileage or age of the vehicle, and done at no expense to the customer, except the gas you spend getting to the dealer of course. Recalls are notifications sent to the dealership and to the customer's whose vehicles are involved, but a TSB is only sent to the dealership …

again, just playing the devil’s advocate here, not saying that I necessarily agree with any of it
Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IntegreS_350
^^ well, to play the devil's advocated, a TSB means "Technical Service Bulletin" and not "recall." The TSBs that are issued out by Scion, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc, are considered to be an addendum to the repair manual; instructions on how to repair something if it should break, or fail. They are done under the regular factory warranty parameters (in the case of the rattle, 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first) and they do not extend that warranty. So, if you have this, or any other concern in which a TSB was issued out for, and you are outside the warranty parameters, you must pay for this service to be done at a dealer, although somtimes they are nice and will do it free as a "goodwill." A recall, on the other hand, is what a company would define as a “known” issue that they are repairing or fixing regardless of warranty, regardless of mileage or age of the vehicle, and done at no expense to the customer, except the gas you spend getting to the dealer of course. Recalls are notifications sent to the dealership and to the customer's whose vehicles are involved, but a TSB is only sent to the dealership …

again, just playing the devil’s advocate here, not saying that I necessarily agree with any of it
good point, however, I originally started complaining about the hatch rattle while the car was still within its basic warranty. They supposedly "fixed" it by performing the TSB.

I brought the car in again, for the same rattle, later on, while still covered, they performed a different TSB.

They failed to adequately resolve the issue, and thus it has continued on. The fact that the car is now past the basic warranty is irrelevant in this case. Had they sufficiently addressed and resolved the issue the first 2 times, we would not be at the point we are now.

Do some research on magnusson-moss and lemon law laws in your state.

I should know, I already have gone thru this process and got a check from Toyota as settlement for my lemon law case. OBviously, whatever i said was enough to scare toyota into settling, rather than risking a higher payout by going to a hearing.....
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ wow, glad to hear that worked out for you--

Did you go through Arbitration? or through Lemon Law?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ wow, glad to hear that worked out for you--

Did you go through Arbitration? or through Lemon Law?
HA! that arbitration BS is a joke! its a waste of time to even call 1800 77 scion, or whatever the number is. they just funnel you through a series of weeks of phone calls and such, only to tell you that theres nothing they can do to resolve your issue, and if you want to pursue anything further, you have to take it to arbitration. Basically, they put the honus back on you (in my case, a working single father with no free time to go through a whole arbitration process).

Plus, what they don't tell you, is that even after the arbitration, its not BINDING. so if toyota does lose, they can just go appeal it, and make you wait another 6 months for a trial. its a giant run-around, designed to frustrate you so much that you just eventually forget about the whole thing.

I called 1 800 My Lemon, and they took the reigns right away. They just asked for copies of all my service records, and then basically said i had enough to file a case. Then sent me a questionaire, which i filled out and returned, I went to a deposition (toyota's lawyers ask me questions in person), and at the end of that, the toyo lawyer basically made an offer. We negotiated over the course of the next week, and reached a settlement without having to go to an arbitration/hearing.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much did you get from the settlement?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wait, u filed for lemon law for a rattle?...or a completely different TSB?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if I go in for the TSB, should I be afraid that my dealer will ____ up my interior trying to fix the problem?

wheres the link?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, as a general rule, dealers always create at least three new problems for every one problem they fix. Keep that in mind.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
Well, as a general rule, dealers always create at least three new problems for every one problem they fix. Keep that in mind.
Thats what Im afraid of.....

What should I do?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Higgy
how much did you get from the settlement?
3Gs.

it wasn't really for the hatch rattle, because as i said, they inferred that my subs caused it, even though the lawyer was smiling at me, indicating that he knew it was BS.

the settlement was mainly for the clutch issues, not just squeaking.

UPDATE: I GOT RID OF THE LOUD HATCH RATTLE!!!! Well, kindof. I just took out the plastic trunk liner piece (with the handles) and Voila! 98% of the rattle(s) are gone. Now its just a question of how i get it back in without causing the rattle again.... and i broke at least one or two of the fastener clips in the process.

but honestly, i dont' even care if i have to keep the trim piece out, its worth its weight in gold for being able to drive without annoying rattles.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^
Oh wait so you still have the tC???? Was the settlement then only regarding clutch repairs and getting reimbursed for that???? I thought at first that you meant that Toyota bought back your tC....
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^
Oh wait so you still have the tC???? Was the settlement then only regarding clutch repairs and getting reimbursed for that???? I thought at first that you meant that Toyota bought back your tC....
yeah, no i still have the car. i don't think toyota wanted it back, based on the issues i have with it.

yeah, the settlement was pretty much only regarding the clutch issues, how much its going to cost to replace the clutch, etc... depreciated value of the car, wasted time off work, etc...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^
yeah, no i still have the car. i don't think toyota wanted it back, based on the issues i have with it.

yeah, the settlement was pretty much only regarding the clutch issues, how much its going to cost to replace the clutch, etc... depreciated value of the car, wasted time off work, etc...

Ohhh ok, I get it now-- Thanks for the clarification

Quick Reply: So is the HATCH RATTLE TSB something the dealer has to do?