Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

SOLVED! Rear Hatch Rattle..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SOLVED! Rear Hatch Rattle..

I did some searching to see if this had been posted before but it didn't get any hits so I figured I'd post what I did to fix my rear hatch rattle.

I commute about 7 miles on the I-280 Freeway between 880 and the 85. Anyone from this area knows it's somewhat bumpy.

More often than not there would be a rattle in the rear hatch area that was annoying as hell.

I tried re-seating all the trim pieces and the problem would go away for a few days and then return.

Last weekend I pulled down the entire lower (dark plastic) cover by removing the two screws and and giving it a good tug. Nothing in there looked loose but I heard some things rolling around between the sheet metal.
So I fired up my air compressor and hooked up my air gun and gave it a good blowing out. Several chunks of plastic debris and some sealant goo that had dried up flew out (wear safety goggles). Probably from the rear lip spoiler install.

I got everything out and put the cover back into place and took a ride. The rattle was lessened but still there.

So I took apart all the trim in the rear hatch looking for anything that might cause a rattle. Under the upper trim piece I found the culprit. There's a section of the wiring harness for the rear dome light
that can flex enough to tap on the sheet metal and cause a rattle. So I shoved a rag between the harness and the sheet metal and put the trim back into place and took a test drive. Rattle GONE!

Rather than have it jury rigged I took things apart and put a nice piece of foam between the harness and sheet metal with some hot glue as a permanent fix. 100 miles later and no more hatch rattles.

I also informed the Service Manager at the dealership that I had found a solution to the rattle since at the 5K service they could not figure it out.

I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-08-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion should pay you... the rattle gets on my nerves.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-08-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wonder if this is the rear rattle that i have, i'm going to have to check it out later today. good job. thanks for the info.

could you possible post a pic of the exact spot you're talking about?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome that you figured it out! Is there any chance at all that water could get to that area? If so, you'll want to make sure you don't use anything that will absorb water and stay wet against your sheet metal. Great job!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CAn you take a quick pic of what you are talking about...I don't get a rattle, but every so often a ping sound comes from back there as I drive, I figure something is swinging into the sheetmetal...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a constant rattle, but there is something loose in my hatch. Sometimes when I open or close the trunk I can hear something rolling around - I'm pretty sure it's not wiring because it sounds like it's literally moving around, not just rubbing on something. If it gets annoying I'll pull things apart but in my general experience these things never stay as tight as they were after you pull them apart once.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job, Thread. I have had this "metal" sound rattle for quite a while. I have tried putting tape on the metal part where the hatchback connect with the car. No luck. I tried someone's else suggestion about putting foam tape on the rubber stoppers on the side of the hatch. No luck.

This one sounds interesting. As suggested, can you post a PIC of exact location?

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

nice .
Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like to see pics too.

My rattle is most definitely on the passenger side of the hatch though. If you're talking about the rear dome light (driver's side), you made have a different rattle than me.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wolo
I'd like to see pics too.

My rattle is most definitely on the passenger side of the hatch though. If you're talking about the rear dome light (driver's side), you made have a different rattle than me.
Mine (I think) is on the passenger side also. But on rattles it is very difficult to determine where it is coming from. So it could be in the middle where the dome light is but appears to be coming more from the passenger side. Yeah, pics will be helpful.

Kevin
Old 03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately I took pics when it was jury rigged and forgot to take pics
of the finished product and I'm hesitant to pull off the trim again in fear that I induce another rattle

I hope this helps.

And, since it's within the seal for the hatch there are no concerns of water getting in.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-08-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I could give you a pat on the back I would. Good work.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hudnut
Well, if you have the rattle and this helps that is thanks enough.

Also, when this was rattling I could swear that it was coming from the passenger side but there is no wiring harness on the passenger side.

When I did have a passenger side rattle it was the passenger side seatbelt rattling against the plastic on the passenger side uh thing you pull on to recline the seat forward and move forward so someone can get into the back. I just positioned the seat and the recline so that the belt buckle and release don't get in contact with one another.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thread
Originally Posted by Hudnut
Well, if you have the rattle and this helps that is thanks enough.

Also, when this was rattling I could swear that it was coming from the passenger side but there is no wiring harness on the passenger side.

When I did have a passenger side rattle it was the passenger side seatbelt rattling against the plastic on the passenger side uh thing you pull on to recline the seat forward and move forward so someone can get into the back. I just positioned the seat and the recline so that the belt buckle and release don't get in contact with one another.
I had the same "problem" with the seatbelt! :D I thought it was the roof for the longest time, until I found the plastic it was hitting againt. I always keep the passenger seat moved up far enough to keep the seatbelt from hitting now.

I'm definitely going to take a peek at this harness suggestion. Only takes a minute or two to pull the plastic off. Couldn't hurt to try. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Thread!

Got any pics of that shifter? Thats in your car, upclose? was thinking about getting that, looks Really hot!

anymore?!

< jas
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default is the noise the tapping sound only occur when over bump?

An earlier post mentioned to add some foam tape on bumper stopers. But those basically didn't help. Now this post are saying the wire harness is the guilty party. I'm gonna try it. Except, are you sure it's the one that makes the noise?

I mean, i thought the sound is like "tap tap tap" on the glass or something.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: is the noise the tapping sound only occur when over bump

Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
An earlier post mentioned to add some foam tape on bumper stopers. But those basically didn't help. Now this post are saying the wire harness is the guilty party. I'm gonna try it. Except, are you sure it's the one that makes the noise?

Yeah that's the sound it was making. It was basically the plastic "conduit" tapping against the sheetmetal. Makes a similar sound to something tapping on the glass.

You can reproduce it by taking off the top trim piece and tapping the conduit between it's two fastners and you'll hear it. And if it makes that noise while I'm gently tapping it it sure as heck is going to make it as the car goes over bumps, etc.

But, again, this is what worked in my situation. I'm curious to see how many other people with rattles tries this out and the rattle goes away.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasonbegin
Hey Thread!

Got any pics of that shifter? Thats in your car, upclose? was thinking about getting that, looks Really hot!

anymore?!

< jas

There ya go.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: is the noise the tapping sound only occur when over bump

Originally Posted by Thread
Originally Posted by bigmouth2008

Yeah that's the sound it was making. It was basically the plastic "conduit" tapping against the sheetmetal. Makes a similar sound to something tapping on the glass.

You can reproduce it by taking off the top trim piece and tapping the conduit between it's two fastners and you'll hear it. And if it makes that noise while I'm gently tapping it it sure as heck is going to make it as the car goes over bumps, etc.

But, again, this is what worked in my situation. I'm curious to see how many other people with rattles tries this out and the rattle goes away.

Thanks, I'm gonna try it. Just one last question, is it hard to pop open the plastic over for that area? Any special caution I should take?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not hard at all. Everything's held in place by plastic though; you don't want to just rip it out.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Quick Reply: SOLVED! Rear Hatch Rattle..