2005-2010 [ANT10]

start up prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default start up prob

My tC is now about 2 weeks old and today when I drove it to school there was no problem with start up. But at school when I tried to start up my car the ignition wouldn't catch for a while. I had to try multiple times. Its not the battery and I didn't leave any lights on that would drain the battery. But after the ignition caught, I turned it off and tried it again and it seems to work fine. I tried a couple more times and it works fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Its not the wheather either. Its like 59 here.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're being rather vague on how long it's taking. 3-4 seconds? That's nothing to worry about? 5+ seconds? Then you have a problem
Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5+ seconds. Its crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr then it gets caught.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed that start up problem w/ most Toyotas, my gurls IS300, my pops Tacoma does the samething I think it's just how Toyotas are...You have to hold the key slightly longer than you would think to start the car...

But if you think you have a severe problem take it back to the dealer, cuz if there's something wrong it might be something w/ the ignition system for the tC., if that's the case the sooner they know the better off your going to be and everyone else having that same problem......
Old 02-03-2005, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member

this happens to me too about once a month. I switched gas stations to see if that is the reason. im not worried, my parents sienna used to do that when it was new then it went away.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Probably just your new battery breaking in. I know cell phone batteries break in at first, then the battery life gets longer. So maybe your car battery was just having problems holding a charge. If it happens again, bring it to the dealer.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

toytas run very lean, my 05 rolla is the same way...it cranks forever it seems.
I sell Toytas and start many everyday, they all seem to crank a bit long. Bottom line is that there is nothing to worry about.
One suggestion: If anyone is ambitious and they have a car that seeems to crank hard, pull the spark plugs out and have a look at 'em...are they gray? black or whit?
They would explain if anything is truely wrong.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ya i noticed my tC takes longer to crank then my integra. When i first test drove it i went to start the car and it didn't turn on.. i was like "wtf?" So i gave it another whirl and on it went. It's tripped me up two or three times where I try to start too fast. I don't see a big problem. I'll get used to it.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
Probably just your new battery breaking in. I know cell phone batteries break in at first, then the battery life gets longer. So maybe your car battery was just having problems holding a charge. If it happens again, bring it to the dealer.
wondering if it cause of the battery. When i start up my car right after it shuts down, there is no problem with it starting up. It catches quickly. But when I leave it parked for 2 hours or more and then try to start it up it takes a while. I know its not the weather because it started up fine this morning and it was 44 outside. Later in the afternoon when I started to have the problem it was 59 ish. Not exactly. I pray its the battery breaking in. Maybe i just got a faulty battery altogether. Doubtful. Im gonna wait and see for another week or so and if the problem persists im gonna take it to the dealer. Glad to hear im not the only one having this problem. But it does seem like toyotas have this "issue" because my dad's matrix, corlla, sienna and highlander all seemed to have done this. As in take a while to start up. But my mom's murano starts up really quickly. Well I guess i'll have to wait and see.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do notice that some times I have to pump my clutch down a second time for it to start. Like I didn't hit a certain point or pushed it down before I turned. I mainly use to my other manuals just starting when I push/turn. My dad noticed it too when he moved my car out of the way of his drive a while back. If it does start the first time I let back on the clutch and push in again with the key still in start position and it cranks right up.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're concerned, you can always take to the dealer and have them load test the battery.. and check the charging system
Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So its not the battery break in. Who knows if this is good or bad. I started up my car today and guess what. I didn't even take a while to crank. It just spurred to life when it was supposed. I am happy about that. Its been 7 hours since I had last used my car. So anyone know what it might be if not the battery? I'll update after I try starting up to go to lunch.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no there is no such thing as "battery break-in".. lead acid (car battery type) does not have a "memory" like lithium-ion (cellphone) in which you need to "exercise" the battery. All it requires is a constant charge.. It either will work and produce the amperage it needs to turn over the engine or it doesnt.. Most car batteries can be defective from the factory, it's happened before, not uncommon.. A load test would show what kind of voltage and amps the battery is putting out.. I have a feeling that the cold weather is putting stress on the battery and the reason it "springs to life" when you had just started it is because the tC's engine keeps it warmth for awhile.. hence more voltage/amps when warmer.. My thoughts are that it's all due to the battery.. other thoughts? if it were a bad ground the cold weather might mess with it..

either way, the dealer should look at it and i have a feeling they'll find it's the battery and replace it for free..
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ actually lithium ion batteries don't have memory as far as I'm aware. I believe you're thinking of NickCad batteries.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no lithium ion batteries do have a memory.. it's not as severe as ni-cad.. even NiMH (nickel metal hydride) even require a full discharge from time to time..

so Lithium Ion's do have a memory.. to get the most life it requires a "deep cycle".. of discharging completely.. (just once in awhile) but the memory affect is very very small.. should've explained myself more before (thinking it but wasn't typing it out)..
Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
no lithium ion batteries do have a memory.. it's not as severe as ni-cad.. even NiMH (nickel metal hydride) even require a full discharge from time to time..

so Lithium Ion's do have a memory.. to get the most life it requires a "deep cycle".. of discharging completely.. (just once in awhile) but the memory affect is very very small.. should've explained myself more before (thinking it but wasn't typing it out)..
From what I've read (and I have) they have no memory. You don't need to fully discharge them and are in fact uged not to as it decreases the life of the battery. *shrug*
Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah its gotta be a toyota thing cause i have to hold the ket alot longer than i ever did in my integra. The tC you will hear the starter crank a few times then it will start my 93 Integra would crank 1once or even half a crank and start right up I loved it. One of the many things that makes me miss my teg every day but i still love the tC and ill love it even more once the damn dealers fix all my problems for good
Old 02-03-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they gonna charge me to get the battery tested?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no i dont think places charge u to test the battery. i think they do it as a courtesy. and the dealer should def not charge u, car still has alot more warranty to go
Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no the dealer would most likely do it as a courtesy for someone with a new scion.. just tell them you think there is something wrong with the battery and would like them to load test it (not just test the voltage, that won't show it).. takes maybe 5 minutes to do a load test.. then they'll know..

Quick Reply: start up prob