Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC drama advice needed immobilizer transponder

Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe a scion tc has an immobilizer by-pass. i remember reading about how honda's have a bypass for the lack of a transponder in the key through a series of turning the key while pressing the pedals and pulling the handbrake. wonder if toyota has something like that...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...+programme+key
Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Default http://www.keylessride.com

You can buy a key with remote and transponder at the following website:

http://www.keylessride.com

It also includes a manual to program the key. Cost total to about $100.

Just ordered one myself, since my 2005 Scion tc only came with one key. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Radja
BBQ keyfob anyone?? medium rare..!

BBQ keyfob?
I heard of BBQ shish kobob (spelling?)

That sucks cause you need to provide at least one "Master key" for the techs at the dealership for programming. The techs need a registered master key to initialize immobilizer programming procedures. Immobilizer programming procedure is setup that way for security reasons. If you were givin the key ID number tag, the dealership might be able to cut and program a key using this. However, I have seen engine ECUs with built in immobilizer modules replaced because toyota owners lost their only set of keys. If the dealer suggests replacing the ECU accompanied with a new set of keys, I would have the dealership where you bought you tC cover for the engine ECU while you pay for the additional keys. Because they sold a car with only 1 ignition key. Lets just hope the engine ECU in the tC is fully supported by the key ID number tag.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
maybe a scion tc has an immobilizer by-pass. i remember reading about how honda's have a bypass for the lack of a transponder in the key through a series of turning the key while pressing the pedals and pulling the handbrake. wonder if toyota has something like that...
AFAIK there is no bypass module widely available yet - which also makes our vehicles more secure than the forementioned immobilzer-equipped Hondas.

However, there's only a "downside" to it as well, as we see here

Man, I was about to say if that guy wasn't a kid... you should've thrown him in the fire too!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure that you need a master key. There is a manual out there that lets you program the yourself, without having to go to the dealership. It involves putting the key in the ignition for 1 sec, taking it out for 1 sec, putting it in for 40 secs, open door, etc etc. But I really don't know if you need a working transponder for that. In the case of the fried bbq key, it just might work......

Still I have to add its pretty stupid driving around with just one key. I just bought my Scion and it only had one key. The first thing I did was find out how I can get another one. Losing the key now would indeed be a nightmare. especially with no Scion dealers around(I live on a Island near Aruba too)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aschuurhof
I'm not sure that you need a master key. There is a manual out there that lets you program the yourself, without having to go to the dealership. It involves putting the key in the ignition for 1 sec, taking it out for 1 sec, putting it in for 40 secs, open door, etc etc. But I really don't know if you need a working transponder for that. In the case of the fried bbq key, it just might work......
You need a registered master key for the authentication process. That's why it's important to have additional keys made while you still have one valid key available for programming. The programming procedures usually involves first inserting a registered master key and turning the ignition on for 20 seconds. And turning off the ignition and removing the master key after 20 seconds. Then inserting the new key for the immoblizer system to register the new transponder code.

By your description of inserting the key and opening the door, it seems like the process for programming the keyfob functions.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM

sciontastic...it seems you know what your talking about. I must admit I am a newby to this kind of stuff. I've based my story on an article I found on ebay reviews:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Programming-...:-1:LISTINGS:2

Care to elaborate on it cuz i still have to receive my ordered key and program it. I appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aschuurhof
sciontastic...it seems you know what your talking about. I must admit I am a newby to this kind of stuff. I've based my story on an article I found on ebay reviews:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Programming-...:-1:LISTINGS:2

Care to elaborate on it cuz i still have to receive my ordered key and program it. I appreciate it.

Your a wise one to get this programmed immediately. Good for you.
I know it can be a nightmare if you lost that only key you have. Yeah. I'm willing to help out. Well I don't know what scion model you own but, I'll explain how the procedures are done on the tC.

First is the immobilizer programming procedure.
You will need a toyota hand-held tester tool which is not available for public use. You need to visit your local dealership to have the new key registered into the vehicles immobilizer system. As I mentioned before, you will need to provide the dealership your only master key. Not the valet key with the rubber head. But the registered master key with the keyfob head. I believe they charge around $30 to $40 for that service. Of coarse this programming aspect is for tCs. I believe the current xB and xA do not have immobilizer features. So disregard this portion if you own a xB or xA.

Second is the wireless key entry programming procedure.
No required tools needed but only your key. You will also need any pre-existing keyfob by your side when programming new keyfobs. If not by your side, the wireless entry system will probably kick out previously registered keyfobs. There are 4 different modes to the programming selection. Add mode, Rewrite mode, Confirmation mode, and Prohibition mode. You shouldn't be to concerned on the last 3 modes so I'll only explain the Add mode.

Before you begin keyfob programming, you need to have:

A. the driver's door open while all other doors are fully closed.
B. the driver's door manual lock button or **** unlocked
C. No key in ignition cylinder.

Start programming.

1. Within 5 seconds, insert key into the ignition cylinder and pull it out
twice
. Do not turn on ignition during this stage.

2. After pulling out the key twice, close and open the drivers door twice ending with
the door opened. Gotta do this within 20 seconds.

3. Next, insert key into ignition cylinder and pull it out once. Do
not turn on ign. Gotta do this within 20 seconds.

4. After pulling out the key once, close and open the drivers door twice ending with
the door opened. Gotta do this within 20 seconds.

5. Next, insert key into ignition and do not pull it back out. Do not turn on ignition.
Close the drivers door after inserting key in ignition. Do not open the door once
you have closed it during this stage. Gotta do this within 20 seconds.

6. After closing the drivers door with key already in the ignition, turn the ignition
switch from LOCK to ON and back to LOCK at approximately 1 second intervals.
Doing this sequence once gets you into ADD mode. And so on and so forth for the
other modes as mentioned above.

7. After the ADD mode has been selected from step 6 , the door lock system
automatically cycles the manual door lock ***** from lock to unlock. It should
cycle it by itself twice.

8. Once it stops cycling the door locks, pull out key from ignition and grab your new
keyfob. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter together and hold
down for 0.5 seconds. Release both buttons and press a single button. Either
the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the transmitter.

9. After pressing either buttons on the transmitter, the door lock system should
automatically cycle the door lock ***** once to confirm acceptance of that new
keyfob.

10. Repeat step 8 for programming additional or pre-existing keyfobs. Must do step
eight within 45 seconds.

11. Once all keyfobs are programmed successfully, exit programming mode by
opening the drivers door.

Verify all functions of the keyfob.

Hope this write up is comprehensive for you. PM me if something is not clear to you.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Tc transponder program

I found a video on YouTube posted by 1lifejourney it's about 12 min long its for a sienna but it also worked for my 2010 scion
Old 09-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Tc transponder program

Start with doors and windows closed .Insert original key in and out of ignition 5 times on 5th time leave the key in ,open and close door 6 times ,pull out original key from ignition. Important The security light should remain solid red,quickly insert new key .When the security light stops blinking pull out new key and insert original key,start the vehicle. Remove original key and insert new key it should start your vehicle now. This will only work when you see the security light remain solid after removing the original key after opening and closing the door 6 times.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

./necro
Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 PM

It's information that might help someone. Use it or move on with your stupid comment.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow someone is sensitive.

unless someone specifically asked, im sure they could have just used the search function to find the same info. actually, its probably the preferred method.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM

Yes I'm highly sensitive to idiots