Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   tC stock stereo system (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/tc-stock-stereo-system-106223/)

casualthug 06-26-2007 09:05 PM

tC stock stereo system

So i recently got my Scion and i noticed that the speakers dont go loud at all even when cranked to the max... is that because of the head unit or do the speakers just suck?
Will replacing just the speakers and keeping the head unit make it loud again? or should i change head unit too?

swrdply400mrelay 06-26-2007 09:07 PM

did you try toggling the SSP to 'feel'

captainlaziness 06-26-2007 09:08 PM

Or changing it to xB mode?

casualthug 06-26-2007 09:08 PM

yes but still even at 63 its not loud enough...!

Doanrs 06-26-2007 09:10 PM

I'm still running my stock HU (for now). I have my set for xB and feel. Sounds OK to me and I usually don't turn it up past 30.

brian9v 06-26-2007 09:11 PM

If you didn't get the upgrade (which for 400 is a huge rip off anyway) from the dealer I would take them out and throw them in the trash. I replaced my speakers and head unit within 2 days of purchasing my car, and when I took the stock speakers out they looked like they might as well have been made with rice paper.

captainlaziness 06-26-2007 09:13 PM

^Like the dash? :P

casualthug 06-26-2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by brian9v
If you didn't get the upgrade (which for 400 is a huge rip off anyway) from the dealer I would take them out and throw them in the trash. I replaced my speakers and head unit within 2 days of purchasing my car, and when I took the stock speakers out they looked like they might as well have been made with rice paper.

lol!! yeah thats true, they arent any good at all... i just gotta find a deck that is that fat, cuz the Scion deck is like twice as large as the normal ones..

GQQSE13 06-26-2007 09:26 PM

I figured they would be decent with them being Pioneer, then again all of my Pioneer decks were the "Premier" or whatever edition that is.

Tcguy85 06-26-2007 09:28 PM

the deck is crap, the stock speakers esp. the fronts are pretty good really.

tvdang7 06-26-2007 09:32 PM

yea it kinda sucks my 99 camry sounded better with the 6x9's in the back. i play mine around 45 and the bass is on like -3 and the highs kinda get distorted.

Hyghgynx 06-26-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by casualthug

Go to the doctor right away and get your hearing checked.
If it ain't loud enough at 63, something is seriously wrong with your hearing! :P

andino 06-26-2007 10:32 PM

highest i've gone with mine is 45 and it's pretty damn loud! the stock system in the car is pretty decent though

SquallLHeart 06-26-2007 10:33 PM

it's the headunit.

the stock speakers are great.

jaxtcracer 06-26-2007 10:39 PM

Before i got my new HU, i turned up my stocker to MAX a couple times... it was loud, but let me just say that my Panasonic gets that loud with the volume at half or below....
I don't know for sure but if i had to guess i'd say when Scion andPpioneer designed the HU, they included a built-in distortion limiter. it makes sense... when my EQ was flat and volume MAXed,
there was no distortion, but when my Panasonic is at half and louder than my stock, there is. that's just my personal opinion.

ack154 06-26-2007 10:42 PM

If you think the tCs system is crap as stock, you should sit in some of the American cars. The tC has a great sound system off the lot. It's not meant for pounding bass and super crisp highs... it's mean to be an all around great stereo for everyone. So it's average in quality at most levels but good for an OEM one.

brian9v 06-26-2007 10:53 PM

I think the upgraded speakers and sound system are fine and dandy, but for around 400 dollars you can put equally good or better speakers and new HU in and have a variety of options.

And thug, you don't have to buy a new HU thats just as tall as the stock HU, it will just come with another cubby hole below it. Thats what mine has and I use that one more than the one in front of the shifter.

captainlaziness 06-26-2007 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx

Originally Posted by casualthug

Go to the doctor right away and get your hearing checked.
If it ain't loud enough at 63, something is seriously wrong with your hearing! :P

WHAAT? COULD YOU PLEASE SPEAK INTO MY GOOD EAR?

nodsetse 06-26-2007 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
If it ain't loud enough at 63, something is seriously wrong with your hearing!

Completely agree. And a new HU isn't going to help much to make it louder or more clear, because it's the internal amps in HUs (stock or aftermarket) that suck.

Get an aftermarket amp with a high-pass filter ~80Hz and the stock speakers will sound MUCH better and play louder. Even if you use the stock HU with an LOC and the amp only does 25W x2 @ 4 Ohms, the stock speakers will play louder and cleaner than when given a full-range signal going through a HU amp.

ScottTc13 06-27-2007 12:15 AM

I had planned on swapping out the deck and the speakers because I wanted better sound quality. As soon as I replaced the deck, I noticed a huge improvement in regards to sound quality. It's good enough that I haven't even swapped out the speakers yet. A more powerful deck will make a big difference in the sound quality