Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   tC stuck in Safe Mode... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/tc-stuck-safe-mode-35618/)

machulu 09-27-2005 05:44 PM

tC stuck in Safe Mode...

Before anyone vents, I did try search but couldn't yield any results.

I disconnected my battery for about 5 min and now I'm getting a CEL light and car is stuck in "safe mode" I believe. Please advise me on what I can do

Thanks for your time.

~Stephen

___

ScionDad 09-27-2005 05:49 PM

Try leaving it disconnected for a little longer. If not, then you need to get the code read to see whats up. Sounds like a MAF issue from others having similiar problem.

ack154 09-27-2005 06:09 PM

Did you try to boot Windows normally?

:silly:

machulu 09-27-2005 06:57 PM

man... thanks for kickin' a brotha when he's down

ack154 09-27-2005 07:13 PM

Sorry... the Safe Mode part got me. :)

Smoses799 09-27-2005 07:17 PM

Do you have a Weapon R Secret Weapon intake? or any aftermarket intake for that fact? if so, it could be the the MAF sensor going bad from oil from the filter OR is it possible that you touched the power wire to the intake at some point?

jmiller20874 09-27-2005 07:43 PM

What work did you perform to the car that required you to disconnect the battery?

Most likely one of two things are wrong, either the MAF on the intake is bad or the A/F sensor on the header is bad. If you disconnected either, double-check all connections, reset the ECU again and see if you still get it.

machulu 09-27-2005 07:43 PM

I've had the ingen intake installed for about 3 months now with no problem. I was in the process of installing an after market steering wheel so I disconnected the battery but realized I had the wrong size torx wrench. I reconnected the battery and that's when the safemode began. nothing was tampered with except the battery.

ScionDad 09-27-2005 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by machulu
I've had the ingen intake installed for about 3 months now with no problem. I was in the process of installing an after market steering wheel so I disconnected the battery but realized I had the wrong size torx wrench. I reconnected the battery and that's when the safemode began. nothing was tampered with except the battery.

try disconnecting the battery again and let it sit about 10 minutes. Reconnect it, start the car and let it idle for a few minutes allowing the ECU to read the intake again.

machulu 09-27-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScionDad

try disconnecting the battery again and let it sit about 10 minutes. Reconnect it, start the car and let it idle for a few minutes allowing the ECU to read the intake again.

Should I be removing the positive and negative connection along with the fuse? what do you suggest for a proper ECU reset?

ScionDad 09-27-2005 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ScionDad

Should I be removing the positive and negative connection along with the fuse? what do you suggest for a proper ECU reset?

I just disconnect the negative terminal, wait 10 minutes and connect it back up. I don't mess with any fuses.

danman04x 09-27-2005 08:17 PM

all you have to do is disconnect the negative from the battery, that resets it. After that just let the car sit there for like 15 min with the negative disconnected, then connect it, turn the car on and let it idle for about 10 min. IF YOU BEGIN TO REV OR DRIVE WITHOUT WAITING YOU HAVE A HIGH POSSIBILITY OF GETTIN A CEL.

and that is it

Oh and dont forget that your gunna have to hold the windows in the up position for about 10 sec on each side to reset the auto up and down, also do this for the sunroof

machulu 09-27-2005 08:20 PM

thanks for all the advise fellas. I'm gonna try this and hope for the best.

Thanks again,

~Stephen

ScionDad 09-28-2005 05:40 PM

thanks for all the advise fellas. I'm gonna try this and hope for the best.

Thanks again,

~Stephen

So, How did it work out? Not good I'm guessing. :nails:

machulu 09-28-2005 06:35 PM

Yeah I still have the CEL and still stuck in Safe mode. My car is at the dealer since yesterday. I know it probably wont be a warantee repair because of my intake. I just hope it won't be a costly repair.

~stephen

ScionDad 09-28-2005 06:46 PM

Yeah I still have the CEL and still stuck in Safe mode. My car is at the dealer since yesterday. I know it probably wont be a warantee repair because of my intake. I just hope it won't be a costly repair.

~stephen

The ONLY thing that the intake could have harmed (and that would be because of oil or damage while changing it out) is the MAF sensor. Don't let them BS you on anything else.

ack154 09-28-2005 06:47 PM

Depends on the code or the issue... if it's something electrical, the intake shouldn't matter (unless it's a MAF or something related). Especially if you've had it on for a while.

What did you tell them you were doing when it happened? Did you mention the steering wheel or no?

tekniq 09-28-2005 08:00 PM

It's probably a blown fuse.. That's what happened to me. Same "safe mode" problem. Was one of the tiny red ones...

TxCAMOxB 09-28-2005 08:30 PM

Isn't the proper terminology 'limp-home' or 'closed-loop' mode? 'Safe mode' for anything but a BMW 7-series just sounds wrong...

Also don't forget that if your gas cap isn't tight, or any of the vacuum hoses get detatched it will throw a CEL every time.

machulu 09-28-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ack154
Depends on the code or the issue... if it's something electrical, the intake shouldn't matter (unless it's a MAF or something related). Especially if you've had it on for a while.

What did you tell them you were doing when it happened? Did you mention the steering wheel or no?

hahaha... I happened to leave the steering wheel install part out of the conversation for obvious reasons. didn't want to give them another excuse for blaming anything on me. If the results come back as being a problem with the MAF, would that be intake related? I've driven with the intake without any problem for a a few months now so I'm pretty sure it was installed properly.

~Stephen