Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC won't Start..Good battery, Good alternator..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM

Question tC won't Start..Good battery, Good alternator..

I drive an 08 TRD Supercharged tC and it starts up whenever it wants to lately. It has around 144,000 miles on it. After getting home from work (driving on Interstate) checked mail at apartment complex 2 nights ago, when I came back to start car, my car wouldn't start. Got roommate to jump car, drove around complex few times, parked car, shut off, tried to start car again, would not start. Came back next night after work turned key in ignition after car has been sitting and off all night/day, car cranked up right away, drove on interstate and around town for a good 30 min. came back parked it turned it off, would not start. I would get the click but no start. Cleaned corrosion off terminals, tested alternator, good, tested battery, reading around a 12, good. Unplugged negative, reset codes, plugged back in, cranked right up. Turned off, tried to start AGAIN, would not start, repeated unplugging the battery, hooked negative up AGAIN, made sure both negative and positive were on tight, and car wouldn't start.

Wasn't sure if some of the cells in the battery had gone bad, so I just replaced the battery, car wouldn't start after replaced, seems like the ground is tight. So I let car sit overnight, next morning tried to crank for work, cranked right up, but my passenger window wont roll down and sun roof is super slow. I work 10 hour shifts, last night walked out to my car at work cause I drove it to work and it would not start. I tried to get it jumped and my car would not jump. I looked at the fuses, they all look fine, I was thinking maybe a fuse was loose like a Christmas tree light which was causing it to start up fine randomly? Could it be something electrical? Is there a way to activate a kill switch of some sort? PLEASE HELP!!! I need to fix my car!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2021 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the windows and sunroof are unrelated the to starting issue, unplugging the battery resets them and you have to hold the buttons to open and close each one all the way until they relearn themselves and start to auto-open/close on their own again. the passenger has to be done from the passenger door button, the driver button will not work.

maybe the starter has gone?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, it is the Starter,
Same thing happen to my Dad's 2002 Camry,

We can't start the car after parking it, but overnight it cranks right up.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Starters click.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member

Its got to be the starter.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by revalina
I drive an 08 TRD Supercharged tC and it starts up whenever it wants to lately. It has around 144,000 miles on it. After getting home from work (driving on interstate) checked mail at apartment complex 2 nights ago, when I came back to start car, my car wouldn't start. Got roommate to jump car, drove around complex few times, parked car, shut off, tried to start car again, would not start. Came back next night after work turned key in ignition after car has been sitting and off all night/day, car cranked up right away, drove on interstate and around town for a good 30 min. came back parked it turned it off, would not start. I would get the click but no start. Cleaned corrosion off terminals, tested alternator, good, tested battery, reading around a 12, good. Unplugged negative, reset codes, plugged back in, cranked right up. Turned off, tried to start AGAIN, would not start, repeated unplugging the battery, hooked negative up AGAIN, made sure both negative and positive were on tight, and car wouldnt start. Wasn't sure if some of the cells in the battery had gone bad, so I just replaced the battery, car wouldn't start after replaced, seems like the ground is tight. So i let car sit overnight, next morning tried to crank for work, cranked right up, but my passenger window wont roll down and sun roof is super slow. I work 10 hour shifts, last night walked out to my car at work cause I drove it to work and it would not start. I tried to get it jumped and my car would not jump. I looked at the fuses, they all look fine, I was thinking maybe a fuse was loose like a Christmas tree light which was causing it to start up fine randomly? Could it be something electrical? Is there a way to activate a kill switch of some sort? PLEASE HELP!!! I need to fix my car!
I'm literally going thru the same issue. I changed alternator, starter, and battery because I was told all the were bad as I was having issues starting it. Now my 2006 Scion tC won't start all the time. It's random when it does.
Again, new starter, alternator and battery. What I do know is it does not always communicate with the old scanner. Sometimes it says connection failed. Not sure if that helps figure it out but someone help me please!

What ended up being the problem with yours?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage, resistance and current?
This is 5-minute fix with multimeter.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:19 PM

Default I have a test light that connects to battery

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage, resistance and current?
This is 5-minute fix with multimeter.
I have a test light that connects to battery and a small multi meter that isnt very strong. Would any of those work? Multi meter is low voltage btw.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Multimeter just needs to measure battery voltage.

We just want to trace starter circuit from battery +positive terminal all way to starter. Where power disappears, shows problem is in between there and. last point measured.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:02 PM

Default Ok where do I start?

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Multimeter just needs to measure battery voltage.

We just want to trace starter circuit from battery +positive terminal all way to starter. Where power disappears, shows problem is in between there and. last point measured.
Let me start with a thank you for taking your time to repond! I apologize for late response. Been a crazy week. So the car is forming off when I'm at a stand still and ac is on. Doesn't happen always. I've ran it on my day off for 4 hours it didn't do it but yesterday on way to work it was on for like 30 min and it turned off. Had to wait 15 minutes to try again and it turned on after second turn.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll want to trace wiring and measure voltage along way to starter. Could be corroded cables or corroded terminals in fusebox. Could be a relay or ignition switch. Doesn't matter what problem is, testing will find it. At some point with tracing along circuit, voltage will disappear. You can then back up and inspect previous section more closely. Wiggle some wires. Unbolt some cables and inspect terminals for corrosion.

Another way is to start testing from other end, at starter itself. Install separate push-button switch to activate starter-solenoid manually. This will test to verify solenoid & starter is Ok. If this push button always works, then it's confirmed solenoid & starter is Ok and problem is upstream.

Basically you want to test each and every component of starter system. One of them is at fault. Without testing, randomly replacing perfectly working parts with brand-new perfectly working parts changes nothing and symptoms persist. Because actual fault has not been found through testing. A lot times, it's not even bad part, but some loose or corroded wiring.

HF - remote starter switch
Old 12-26-2022, 05:42 AM

Default Update?

Having same issue. Replaced fuel pump wouldn’t start. Checked efi fuse was blown I replaced it and it started then I turned it off and cranked it again wouldn’t start. I was told it was Ecu which I had replaced about a year ago and I tried 3 different ecu to no avail. There’s no spark on plugs.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:21 AM
SL Member

Default Similar Issue Scion TC 2008

Hi There,

I have been the proud owner of a 2008 Scion TC since they pulled it out of a shipping container at dealership way back in 2007.. Your problem sounds familiar to issue I had several months ago, It was weird, car would start then it wouldn't.. first I thought it was a dead FOB battery.. then I ran through all the usual suspects including ignition relays and fuses, until I finally AAA'd to my mechanic.. turns out that last time I had clutch changed they knocked loose or did not secure an ignition ground wire that runs right along transmission housing.. when was last time you had clutch changed?? maybe this is the culprit?

Originally Posted by revalina
I drive an 08 TRD Supercharged tC and it starts up whenever it wants to lately. It has around 144,000 miles on it. After getting home from work (driving on Interstate) checked mail at apartment complex 2 nights ago, when I came back to start car, my car wouldn't start. Got roommate to jump car, drove around complex few times, parked car, shut off, tried to start car again, would not start. Came back next night after work turned key in ignition after car has been sitting and off all night/day, car cranked up right away, drove on interstate and around town for a good 30 min. came back parked it turned it off, would not start. I would get the click but no start. Cleaned corrosion off terminals, tested alternator, good, tested battery, reading around a 12, good. Unplugged negative, reset codes, plugged back in, cranked right up. Turned off, tried to start AGAIN, would not start, repeated unplugging the battery, hooked negative up AGAIN, made sure both negative and positive were on tight, and car wouldn't start.

Wasn't sure if some of the cells in the battery had gone bad, so I just replaced the battery, car wouldn't start after replaced, seems like the ground is tight. So I let car sit overnight, next morning tried to crank for work, cranked right up, but my passenger window wont roll down and sun roof is super slow. I work 10 hour shifts, last night walked out to my car at work cause I drove it to work and it would not start. I tried to get it jumped and my car would not jump. I looked at the fuses, they all look fine, I was thinking maybe a fuse was loose like a Christmas tree light which was causing it to start up fine randomly? Could it be something electrical? Is there a way to activate a kill switch of some sort? PLEASE HELP!!! I need to fix my car!

___