Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   Think my A/C is on its way out...Compressor? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/think-my-c-its-way-out-compressor-208105/)

PRODIGY3000 09-30-2011 11:06 PM

Think my A/C is on its way out...Compressor?

After a hot-a$$ summer I decided to check the pressure in my system and it looked a bit low. So I put in some refrigerant to fill it up.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but the very next couple of days the A/C started acting up. Cold air would come out for a few seconds, and then what seemed like warm outside air, and then a minute later cold air again. This happens even when the car is traveling at a constant speed.

The compressor is also louder and making much more noise than it used to. I can hear whine through the first couple of gears. Seems like its stressed out.

All I did was charge the system for about 30 seconds. And it hasn't been hot the last couple of days either. Does this sound like the compressor? 110K on the motor btw.

jnaval 09-30-2011 11:16 PM

The compressor is on its way out especially at 110K. Some have changed just the pulley/clutch assembly and found that the whine goes away however it sounds like you have cooling issues so it's probably the compressor internals itself. Or you could try a professional full refrigerant replacement first to see if you could've made a mistake when charging.

PRODIGY3000 10-01-2011 12:34 AM

Not sure if I had my head completely up my @ss when I did this but I just looked again and my valve cap for the recharge port is missing. No idea where it went. Possible culprit?

Spoony 10-01-2011 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by jnaval (Post 3917994)
<Bunch of B.S.>

Don't listen to this guy!

:D

Reactor 10-01-2011 01:00 AM

Do the AC system service with proper shop equipment. You need to evacuate old refrigerant, pull vacuum and charge the proper amount (in weight- not seconds) of refrigerant and possibly some oil. Then go from there.

PRODIGY3000 10-01-2011 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Reactor (Post 3918025)
Do the AC system service with proper shop equipment. You need to evacuate old refrigerant, pull vacuum and charge the proper amount (in weight- not seconds) of refrigerant and possibly some oil. Then go from there.

well I did have a guage, I wasn't just doing it blind. It still reads in low in the blue (good). Could I have overcharged it?

Reactor 10-01-2011 02:02 AM

If you overcharged then HIGH side pressure will be too high. That can make the system shut down.

JahJosef 10-01-2011 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Reactor (Post 3918055)
If you overcharged then HIGH side pressure will be too high. That can make the system shut down.

Agreed. Bought my car used and the previous owner said the A/C didn't work for some time. So I checked and it was overcharged. Bled some out(screw captain planet), and the A/C suddenly worked and very well for TX heat. At that point I pulled the front bumper to install fogs and CAI, and used some coil cleaner on the condenser...got much cooler.

jnaval 10-01-2011 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spoony (Post 3918018)
Don't listen to this guy!

:D

Ignore this guy, he rolls on Motgei wheels from PepBoys. :lalala:

Spoony 10-01-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by jnaval (Post 3918097)
Ignore this guy, he rolls on Motgei wheels from PepBoys. :lalala:

Motgei? Was that on purpose? If so, well played, worthy adversary.

tkevin07 10-01-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Reactor (Post 3918025)

Agreed, The A/C compressor will turn on and off if overcharged...Those cans you buy at auto zone or O'Reilly is not accurate

The shop machine will measure the exact amount of refrigerant in ounces and add oil along with it correctly.

TTCCC 10-01-2011 11:46 AM

When the dial is on blue, there is suppose to be cold air coming out?