Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

A tragedy :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default A tragedy :(

So I have been creeping the forums for about a month since I got my 2008 White Tc, and finally decided to join. This is her:
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  197.3 KB
Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  217.6 KB
Name:  009D.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  208.8 KB
Name:  011D-1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  259.3 KB

She is in awesome condition, inside and out for a 2008... But this past weekend, an 84 year old lady was making a left turn and decided it would be better to drive through my car than to wait until I had cleared the intersection, THEN yelled at me and said it was my fault because she had her turn signal on. Stopped by the collision shop today and they said it'd be about 10 days before I'd see her again, and I'n heartbroken
Here are some pictures... In the first picture you can see the lady's car still in the middle of the road, CLEARLY over the yellow line, and I'm guessing she was even farther across it when the impact happened but was moved back by the force of my vehicle and hers colliding.
It had to be towed, cause she completely bent all the mechanics behind my drivers side front tire and I could barely drive far enough to get her off the road.

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  243.6 KB
Name:  photo-1-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  255.2 KB

Figured I'd post here because my family and friends don't understand why I'm so upset but I had this car for a month and I fell in love and then some old lady had to ruin all my fun
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks man! Hopefully it gets put back together and drives the same. If not make sure you report that to the insurance. It should clearly be her fault from what you said. Is that the outcome?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member

I haven't heard back from them for an official decision yet but from the collision points on my car and hers, and the top right corner of the first picture of the crash I uploaded, obviously she is at fault. I was just minding my own business and BAM
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooo that sucks. hopefully it gets fixed. is there any engine damage? it looks like a bumper and panel.

some old people are terrible drivers. i see old people cut people off in a parking lot all the time.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member

So far the bumper, quarter panel, the hood (it was pushed by the impact) and the door, which wouldn't open, so I had to climb out through the window all need replaced. Oh and my tire and rim and the whole shenanigans behind the wheel because they were all messed up. They started working on her today and I don't think there is any engine damage. I was only going about 25 mph cause its a residential road and had traffic in front of me so I haven't heard any frame or engine damage. Keeping my fingers crossed there isn't.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea just be on the lookout for suspension damage.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

I know that pretty much the whole drivers side parts will need replace like the tie rods and suspension and the brakes and all that good stuff cause it was pretty messed up. So hopefully they won't miss anything. This is my first accident so I'm not sure of the whole process. My worst fear is that the damage is more than the car is worth, and they total it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you'll be alright. Mine was way worse and wasn't totalled.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You Most likely will be ok... When I was t-boned in my 06 xB they debated on totaling it or not for a whole and I flipped it on its side. I'm guessing it wasn't a marked intersection? No lights or signs. If so then that should be her fault either way. My buddies girlfriend did this to someone in his Subie and even though the crash points looked like it was the other drivers fault she was blamed and got a failure to yield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member

Update: Got a call from the collision place, they said its about 8,000 worth of damage and they are starting to work on her today. Bad news is its gonna take about ten days and I leave for school in 4.

Originally Posted by xB_Toaster
You Most likely will be ok... When I was t-boned in my 06 xB they debated on totaling it or not for a whole and I flipped it on its side. I'm guessing it wasn't a marked intersection? No lights or signs. If so then that should be her fault either way. My buddies girlfriend did this to someone in his Subie and even though the crash points looked like it was the other drivers fault she was blamed and got a failure to yield.
No signs or anything. Just a very small intersection into the back of the mall by my house. I had no stop, or yield or any kind of sign.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM

so youre going to pay $8000 to fix it?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
SL Member

No way in hell your car will ever be the same after that. Sucks man...and yes, just generalizing, but old people are either very slow and careful or slow and wreckless as hell. Sucks...
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM

old ppl :-/
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

old drivers ____in suck _______
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by myfirstsciontc
so youre going to pay $8000 to fix it?
No, because its not my fault so the lady's insurance will be paying to repair my car.

Originally Posted by c1cknh4n
No way in hell your car will ever be the same after that. Sucks man...and yes, just generalizing, but old people are either very slow and careful or slow and wreckless as hell. Sucks...
I'm hoping my car will be okay without any major problems. What kind of problems do you foresee?

Also, what would you guys do in my position? Sell it and try to get as much out of it as I can to buy a new scion or....?

Edit: My dad is also a police officer and stopped by the collision place in his uniform on his way to work and made it clear that he is going to have his friend who works on cars look at the finish product and make sure that everything is on the up and up and he doesn't want any corners cut. so fingers crossed
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for the bad luck after a month w/ the tc

old people driving i swear is killing all cars and motorcycles around my area; if you can't see over the wheel or see hardly at all they shouldn't be driving!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before you go talk about getting rid of your tc you should wait to get it back and see how she drives. Most likely everything will be good as new. Also don't get caught up in the fact she was hurt... Your brain may start thinking its not the same.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by xB_Toaster
Before you go talk about getting rid of your tc you should wait to get it back and see how she drives. Most likely everything will be good as new. Also don't get caught up in the fact she was hurt... Your brain may start thinking its not the same.

Best advice yet! Thanks man I'll make sure I update you guys!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a sad day and see how she drives after the fix. A good body shop will get it back to normal.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

proper repairs will have the car driving just like it did before. just make sure you closely inspect the panel gaps and the paint and clear coat. drive the car on a straight smooth and flat road to make sure it tracks straight (take your hands off the wheel for a moment to see which way the car pulls), and make sure the car brakes evenly as well.

also, don't freak out when your window switches and sun roof switch don't work right when you pick-up your car. You need to reprogram them by holding them down. I think it is like 10 sec's each. lol.

Quick Reply: A tragedy :(