Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

When to Change Automatic Transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait....he said he needed an intercooler to keep his tranny cooler???
Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Default Re: Ran out of ATF fluid at 75,000 miles

Originally Posted by TheRunner
This forum is cracking me up! I have the answers to a lot of your questions about endurance of your scion....
SNIP!
The rest of your painful post isn't worth quoting.
Bye.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dos_techie
I'm a tech at a dealership and I always use the tranny flush machine. To hook it up you just disconnect the two tranny hoses/lines and connect them to the machine. The machine has a flow indicator that tells you if you connected it correctly. very simple to use.
the cheap way is to find out which line is the output and disconnect if from the radiator w the proper tools.... you do not want to crack the radiator (if you pick the wrong end like the outlet.... you can smear ATF all over the driveway, But I am sure that someone will let us know which end to disconnect), slip a hose tightly to cover the removed end and put it in a container..... start the engine..... and have an assistant to make sure that the fluid is going into the container..... I have not received my service manual yet.... but in some vehicles, the fluid does not move in park, but the fluid will move in neutral, so let it run for a minute or less to drain 2 quarts...... turn off engine... add new fluid.... and repeat until you have replenished w enough fluid to obtain the cleanest fluid or the brighest color ... there will always be some old fluid.... It works on the other vehicle in the stable.

Do these trany have a trany filter?

thank you
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Change Auto tranny fluid

I just did mine at 86K miles. I drained the fluid and took off the pan. It was easy. And the pan was full of gunk. Then you can easily change the transmission filter. The kit is about $25 at a parts store, you get the filter, a new gasket and O-ring. You just need a large Allen wrench to remove the drain plug, and 10mm socket to remove the 18 cap screws. Don't over tighter the pan when you put it back on, I ruined the gasket doing that.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-24-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Is ATF Type T-IV and ATF+4 same? I used ATF+4 last time
Old 11-19-2015, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JonnyHomesick
do you guys recommend AMSOIL or Royal Purple

they're almost identical except for the Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C

Amsoil 6.8 and Royal Purple 7.4 otherwise almost identical
Newbie here

I contacted RP not to long ago because my car just hit the 100k mark and I want to change out the tranny fluid & the tranny filter. This was the response I received from them.

"Good Morning Patrick,

The Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle) is our recommended product for the automatic transmission on a 2008 Scion xB 2.4L. The Max ATF is chemically compatible with, and a great replacement for the OEM Toyota WS fluid that is specified for this automatic transmission. A pan drain and refill service calls for 3.7 quarts, and the total dry fill capacity is listed at 8.6 quarts.

You may notice that on the back label of the Max ATF and on our web site we state that the Max ATF is not recommended for Toyota WS. The reason why we state the Max ATF is not recommended for the Toyota WS fluid is due to warranty issues. The Max ATF is chemically compatible with, and works great in place of the Toyota WS fluid in automatic transmissions. However, due to a slight viscosity difference between the Toyota WS and Max ATF, the Max ATF would not be considered a warranty compliant fluid for automatic transmissions that came factory filled with the Toyota WS fluid.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple, and have a great day!"

At 100k miles, most cars are out of warranty anyways. So that doesn't worry me to much. I know RP makes excellent products, but my concern is why Toyota would void ones warranty when using this product. Obviously there is something in RP tranny fluid that Toyota doesn't find acceptable in their vehicles. Can someone elaborate on this?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bibitc
the cheap way is to find out which line is the output and disconnect if from the radiator w the proper tools.... you do not want to crack the radiator (if you pick the wrong end like the outlet.... you can smear ATF all over the driveway, But I am sure that someone will let us know which end to disconnect), slip a hose tightly to cover the removed end and put it in a container..... start the engine..... and have an assistant to make sure that the fluid is going into the container..... I have not received my service manual yet.... but in some vehicles, the fluid does not move in park, but the fluid will move in neutral, so let it run for a minute or less to drain 2 quarts...... turn off engine... add new fluid.... and repeat until you have replenished w enough fluid to obtain the cleanest fluid or the brighest color ... there will always be some old fluid.... It works on the other vehicle in the stable.

Do these trany have a trany filter?

thank you
I seen the method you are referring to you a YouTube video and want to flush my trany the same way. Yes there is a trany filter.
I just picked one up from AutoZone today. It's $21.99. The link to the video is here

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-24-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-22-2015, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Changing fluid under 60K in my option is just a waste of money unless you are driving in extreme conditions. I laugh when people say well its just "cheap insurance" to do it early. Well guess what? So is changing your oil once a month but that would just be stupid.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Scion Representative
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Originally Posted by gdtc
I have almost 20K miles on my tc, so I swing by the dealership to get 4 quarts of auto tranny fluid (type IV) for a future fluid change.

However, I noticed on the tranny dipstick, it says the auto tranny fuild doesn't needs to be changed (under normal driving conditions).. and I couldn't find anything in the owners manual about this.

Surely the tranny fluid can't last FOREVER can it? Is the tc's tranny THAT durable, or is the ATF fluid THAT good? both? neither?

And what the HECK do you use to unscrew the drain bolt with? I'm guessing toyota purposefully used that hexagon hole to deter less-mechanically inclined people from messing with the ATF?
Check out the Scheduled Maintenance Guide for you model. The inspection recommendation is there. The replacement is based on the condition of the fluid at the time of inspection. Check with your local dealer for more info. -LT
Old 10-24-2021, 05:55 PM
SL Member

Read through this thread but maybe I missed it. What size Hex/Allen key do I need to remove the tranny drain plug. I'm assuming it's Metric. Probably 12 or 14?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-24-2021 at 09:45 PM.