Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   Where to buy 0W-20 oil. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/where-buy-0w-20-oil-100074/)

KillaSpiceTSW 05-03-2007 04:05 PM

Where to buy 0W-20 oil.

I cant seem to find 0W-20 anywhere. Ive checked autozone, advanced autoparts, swift motorsports, napa, bumper and bumper, and others. So ive been using 5w-20 which is the second choice for oil. I'm just curious if anyone knows a website or a place in Connecticut that sells 0w-20. Thanks.

mdMiketC 05-03-2007 05:52 PM

Do they even make a 0 weight motor oil?

EDIT: They do, heres a link to a company called Amsoil and where you can buy it online.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Sea...CategoryID=444

blazeplacid 05-03-2007 06:36 PM

wal mart has it mobil 1

CuRiOuSfIsH 05-03-2007 09:56 PM

5W20 is ok especially since it's getting warmer out. 0W20 can still be tough to find sometimes even in NYC.

SquallLHeart 05-03-2007 10:29 PM

i wouldn't know except online for ya.

i've usually had no problems finding them at stores/shops.... but i would use 5w20 except during really cold winters...

(which i don't typically get anyway)

mkchad0 05-04-2007 01:26 AM

i thought 5W-20 was the lightest weight oil the tC could use...at least from the Toyota TSB that's been floating around.

0W-20 is okay for camry 2.4L engine though...i think.

paul34 05-04-2007 01:39 AM

The oil cap on mine (07) says *either* 5w20 or 0w20.

Personally, I wouldn't use 0w20 unless I lived in some incredibly cold weather (maybe somewhere on a mountain in Maine in the dead of winter...).

But yea, 0w20 is hard to find since not many people use it... and obviously more expensive too...

make sure you really need it before you drop the extra cash! Just saying... :)

amdforever 05-04-2007 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by paul34
The oil cap on mine (07) says *either* 5w20 or 0w20.

Personally, I wouldn't use 0w20 unless I lived in some incredibly cold weather (maybe somewhere on a mountain in Maine in the dead of winter...).

But yea, 0w20 is hard to find since not many people use it... and obviously more expensive too...

make sure you really need it before you drop the extra cash! Just saying... :)

In 100% agreence with paul. There is no need to get 0w20 in Conn. 0w means it is lighter and will be easier to start in EXTREMELY cold areas and with summer just around the corner I'm sure you won't make any use out of it at all. All 06s and 07s take 5w20, and I think it's pretty common/standard around here to use that. If you must use 0w20 though, I know, here in Las Vegas, there is a Pepboys that sales Royal Purple 0w20, so you could check your local Pepboys in Conn. to see if they have any. Royal is full synthetic if that is what you go for in oil, but other than that, 5w20 is just fine buddy.

crazymonkey2000 05-04-2007 02:53 AM

Hey guys im not that familair with oils didnt know there was a 5w20 and 0w20. I like in AZ which one do you recommend, and what does the dealerships use? I have on 07 tc

amdforever 05-04-2007 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by crazymonkey2000
Hey guys im not that familair with oils didnt know there was a 5w20 and 0w20. I like in AZ which one do you recommend, and what does the dealerships use? I have on 07 tc

Personally, I'd use 5w20. I live in Las Vegas, so I'm right above you. The main thing with oils is heat. For where you and I live, the engine will be warm for the most part when it starts up. 5w is fine for us, not too thin on the start and not too thick either. Breaking down the oil, based on research I've done through google is this: first part of an oil type is a number and w meaning when cold, this is its weight, IE 0w or 5w or 10w. the second number is the weight when hot. The oils are designed to get "heavier" when hotter, basically it was described as them coiled into a circle when cold and becoming straight when hot. You also dont want a huge difference between the first and second number. Toyota/Scion has issued "official writing" if you want to call it that by puting only 0w20 and 5w20 in the manual of the 07tC. I for one will follow that for warranty purposes so they can't B/S if something goes wrong. As far as dealerships go...either they are all weird or mine was just f'ed up. I went for my first "free" oil change and they charged extra for syn Mobil 1, understandable, but they put 10w30 in it. When I confronted them about it they said it was b/c of the hotter conditions out here. I'm sorry, but Toyota designed this engine, not the 5-7 $/hr mechanic that just told me that. If Toyota thought a heavier oil would be required then they would have said so. Basically, I'd stay 5w20...just my .02 worth

crazymonkey2000 05-04-2007 04:01 AM

cool thanks! i wanted to make sure i get the right stuff, my car is due for its first soon.

amdforever 05-04-2007 04:10 AM

No problem man, glad to help. You doing yours yourself or taking it to the dealership? If you take it to a dealer make sure you specify what type of oil to put in it so they dont do what mine did. Oh are you staying with dino or synthetic? The dealer is free on dino but syn will cost you, and mine only offered mobil 1. I just did the second one on my tC myself sense they ticked me off at the dealer and I put my own oil preference in it.

crazymonkey2000 05-04-2007 04:53 AM

Im gonna see what the dealer is gonna put in. If they try and put in the cheap stuff i will do it myself. Whats the diff between dino and synthetic?

rrimportracer 05-04-2007 05:01 AM

for warm weather like in so cal, 100-110 summers what do you guys recommend?? is 5w still good or go to 10w40??

amdforever 05-04-2007 05:09 AM

dino is refined crude oil...synthetic is, depending on manufacture, polymers and all different types of jazz with additives and stuff. Overall synthetic is better performance wise and you can see small MPG improvements. I don't want to start a flame war this is just a personal opinion to all those watching this...but I've heard Mobil 1 is just ultra-refined crude that is like "synthetic" oil. Not 100% sure on that, just what I've been told by other people. I personally use royal purple, but if im not mistaken, I think Toyota requires all their dealerships to carry Mobil 1 as their syn. oil, so you should be fine as along as its Mobil 1 and 5w20 like you manual says. If you chose to DIY, I found it VERY easy to change the oil in our cars lol so no more dealerships for me except for the BIG maintance parts of the program. If you need a DIY guide, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0 , this is a good one. Just remember to reset your Odometer, and keep your reciept for your oil and oil filter, make sure the reciept specifies the oil weight too, like 5w20 for instance, and write the mileage on it too that you changed it at. I make 2 additional photocopies of them just b/c over time reciepts usually lose that ink stuff on them, so copies will last a long time. If you have any questions just ask me through PM unless you think it'll benefit everyone.

Sry killaspice this was pretty much a total thread jack and I'm sorry for it, just helpin crazymonkey out :)

amdforever 05-04-2007 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by rrimportracer
for warm weather like in so cal, 100-110 summers what do you guys recommend?? is 5w still good or go to 10w40??

Like I was telling crazymonkey, I recommend 5w20 like the manual says. Toyota/Scion designed the tC over here in America and only for America so I'm pretty sure they didn't over look the temperatures over here. Besides, if you go with what the manual says its under warranty if something goes wrong. They can't go after you to void the warranty if you did exactly as the manual says :P Also, just remember the number at the end means the weight when its hot so your essentially going to have an oil that is 40 weight, and the 07 tCs have "oil squirters" under the pistons. I have no clue how they work or how big of an opening it is, so thicker oil may affect that. And just another side note, there was a TSB for 06s that reduced their oil weight from 5w30 in the manual to 5w20. So apparently lighter was better for them, dunno, just my thinking and it might help reduce sludge buildup.

KillaSpiceTSW 05-04-2007 11:46 AM

Wow

Thanks to all of yall for your help. I realize now that there is no need for me to be using 0w-20 seeing as its already 70 here. So it looks like 5w-20 is the winner seeing as its cheaper, easier to find, they have royal purple 5w-20 right up the street, and its warm outside. Thanks guys.

amdforever 05-04-2007 12:15 PM

No problem man, glad we could help you out. Royal Purple is a good choice too, thats what I use :D

tCSpec 05-05-2007 01:02 AM

About six months ago I found 0w20 Mobile1at Autobarn. A week ago I picked up 5w20 Mobile1 at Walmart for $23.62 for 5 qts.

HippieCat 05-06-2007 02:06 AM

The thing that has me confused is that the manual states to use 5W-10 in colder climates and 0W-30 in warmer. Is this a typo?

EDIT: There is a typo in this post as well, please see my next post on page 2 for clarification. :lalala:

Should read 5W-20 and 0W-20