Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Whining sound from dash (like mosquito)

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Whining sound from dash (like mosquito)

This started a while back but it would come and go but didn't happen very often and now it is often. i have a 06 tC with 81k

It sounds just like a mosquito. The pitch and loudness is connected to speed so I think that it has something to do with the speedometer.

Has anyone had this issue? If so is there a fix?

Oh and a second thing: Anyone have a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the dash? Sounds like a loose metal plate.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The tC has an all electronic speedo system, meaning there is no mechanical speedo cable involved. So the noise would not be related to the speedo.

Most likely, since the road vibration increases in frequency with speed, the vibration (Whatever may be causing it) is increasing in pitch with it. Should resonate at some frequency and be louder there.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The tC has an all electronic speedo system, meaning there is no mechanical speedo cable involved. So the noise would not be related to the speedo.

Most likely, since the road vibration increases in frequency with speed, the vibration (Whatever may be causing it) is increasing in pitch with it. Should resonate at some frequency and be louder there.

Thank you very much for the feed back.

The mosiqito sound is connected to speed not vibration though. But then once I cross 40 or so it goes away. It's a very strange sound, not metallic or rattle like just a high pitch whining sound. just wanted to check to see if anyone else has an issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by ddplion
Oh and a second thing: Anyone have a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the dash? Sounds like a loose metal plate.
I have the same noise too, I didn't really notice it until this summer. I have a 2008 but I just suspect its a rattle and nothing else too major.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

speed is connected to vibration. There is always, without fail, vibration from the road transferred to the cabin to some degree. Since this noise is a product of your tires driving across the imperfections in the road, the faster you go, the higher the frequency of the vibration for the most part. Thus noises will come and go. The part rattling (or buzzing in this case) is most likely hitting a resonant point below 40 mph, making it seem much louder. It then goes away at higher speeds. Very common.

The other option is that it is a wind related noise making something on the car vibrate and it just sounds like it is in the car with you.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it could be the intake...even the stock intake creates a whistle at certain speeds
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem, i noticed it 3 weeks ago, but decided it was just one of the many rattles and buzz my tc has
Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member

I noticed mine making a high pitched whistle sound that is affected by the amount of throttle i use,mine sounds like the intake to me.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you make any upgrades to your car? I agree with the other members that it's caused by vibration. its common and it comes and goes with the season. I get it it most during warm weather.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

no upgrades, on my car I can hear it when I'm taking off, going through the gears and cruising till about 40-45 mph, after that the tire noise drowns it out.
Now I'm going to have to find out what it is, sigh.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have an interior whining sound too - goes away when I leave her at home.

I know you don't have that problem with Kayla though Dave lol.......
Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member

I found where the interior cricket like noise is coming from, the radio mount.
I pushed on the radio and the sound stopped but I haven't checked the whistling sound yet.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jafa
I found where the interior cricket like noise is coming from, the radio mount.
I pushed on the radio and the sound stopped but I haven't checked the whistling sound yet.
the cricket noise is because the top vents on the "waterfall" center stack is vibrating, a little foam tape on that (take the waterfall off, of course) will fix it. do a search for that, it's in the tc forums.

The whistling, are you sure it's not the engine intake? our intake is supposed to make a high pitched whistle noise. Also check your brakes, maybe its the stock pads and the wear indicator?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member

thanks sciontc_mich
I thought it was the intake, I guess I won't worry about that.
When I changed over to my summer tires I checked my brakes for uneven wear, they were like new, that's one thing I found that toyotas and hondas brakes wear like iron.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ddplion, I get an induced whine when I charge my ipod and have it plugged into my stereo. Something to do with ground wire interference of the cig lighter and AUX in adapter... easy way to tell is if you turn off your radio and it goes away. If it does go away, its what I'm talking about, if not, its something else.