2005-2010 [ANT10]

Zune + scion tc + noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Zune + scion tc + noise

When i plug my zune into the AUX port the volume is lower then normal. When when my radio is at 30ish its loud. With the zune plugged in i have to turn it up to like 45 but then i hear noise in the background of the song (the hissssss). I plugged it into my buddies jeep and it worked perfect.

What could be causing this ?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a) It's a Zune. That's probably half your problem right there.

I kid.

Probably some sort of ground loop from the car. Does the hissing/whine change with the RPM of the engine? What output are you using on the Zune? Just the headphone jack? Do you have a cable that would use a "line out" signal from whatever kind of dock connector is has (sorry, I know jack about the Zune)? That would usually give you a better sound.

Also, if you're using the headphone port, the volume of the Zune would also affect the volume in the car (another reason the line out is preferred).
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you charging the Zune while it's playing? When I have my iPod in the aux port while it's charging, it makes that hissing noise.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes this appears to be a problem with a bad ground in the car. My Zune does the same thing but only when its playing and charging at the same time. When you accelerate you will hear the hissing getting louder. If you unplug the charger the noise is gone and music plays fine. I also noticed this same issue in 3 other cars. Chevy Impala, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Maxima. Must be some type of ground issue.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed. The only time I ever hear the hiss on either one of my Zunes is when it's plugged into the headphone port AND the charger. I typically run the Zune at full volume on the device and then around 30-35 on the car, but that's only because there's no interior in my car... I ran it at about Full on the Zune and 12-18 on the car when the interior was in.

It's not just Zune though, A friend plugged in his non-Zune and it did a similar thing, I'd assume it's a lack of a proper ground in the car for the electrical ports (especially the one in the center console box).
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
a) It's a Zune. That's probably half your problem right there.
hater!! lol

i run mine all of the time when i had my stock HU and never had any issues with it. check the cable you are using to run the zune to the aux
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
cak
SL Member

i have a zune and dont have this problem, i had it charging and playing at the same time today and its sounds great, do you have the actual "zune" car charger?

just like one-nut said turn the volume all the up to 20 on the zune and the radio volume should be normal. and sometimes if your zune dies or you unplug it, it will reset and the volume will go back down, so just make sure its always on 20. when i have mine on 20 i crank the radio volume to 30 and its good enough.

and curious since we have other zune users on this thread, does anyones zune turn off and back on when they turn their headlights on? mine has done this too me a couple times and its kinda werid...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It doesn't seem to be a ground issue. I am not charging the zune while playing. The hissing sounds does NOT change at all.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the hissing isn't related to it being plugged into the charge point, you're likely dealing with a poor connection either with your headphone jack (on the device) or the car's audio input (on the car). Try using the same cable with a different device and see if the hissing is still there. If the hissing remains try the new device with a new cable.

Basically you just want to go through the three possible things it could be until you determine which component needs to be replaced (if it's worth it):

-Cable
-Car connection
-Zune connetion

Cak- I do have the Zune car charger, but my device is pretty old (got it the day it came out) and I know it needs a replacement soon. Thank god the new HDs just came out!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by One-Nut_McGee
If the hissing isn't related to it being plugged into the charge point, you're likely dealing with a poor connection either with your headphone jack (on the device) or the car's audio input (on the car). Try using the same cable with a different device and see if the hissing is still there. If the hissing remains try the new device with a new cable.

Basically you just want to go through the three possible things it could be until you determine which component needs to be replaced (if it's worth it):

-Cable
-Car connection
-Zune connetion

Cak- I do have the Zune car charger, but my device is pretty old (got it the day it came out) and I know it needs a replacement soon. Thank god the new HDs just came out!
Not the cable because i plugged it into my buddies jeep and it worked fine. The sound is from the volume having to be up so high for my to hear the music. My radio is at like 45 and you can hear the noise behind the song.

Ex:
If you turn the volume down on your ipod but then turn your volume all the way up on the radio you will hear what i hear.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said, you need a line out adapter instead of using your headphone jack.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the zune cables actually work pretty well (check on ebay for them or the knock off ones) i use those on my D3 so that i can run video without having to take the navi disc out on long trips