Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Bolt on Rear Strut..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry Bolt on Rear Strut..

Okay guys... I have been attempting to get my rear passenger side strut off for 3 attempts now. First attempt I used a 12 point attachment which obviously did not work but did not strip the bolt thankfully.
My 2nd attempt I used a deep impact 6 point with a breaker bar... not much room to work with here and this also did not loosen the bolt at all. Finally I used a deep impact attachment 6 point with a 350+ lbs gun.
This still did not have enough force to loosen the bolt at all. I have used WD-40 and white lithium grease to try to break this bolt out and no luck at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of value on what I could do to get this bolt off? It is the bolt that connects the strut at the bottom. It is a Grade 10 bolt with locking nut.
Honestly I assume I am going to have to break this bolt in half to get it off so I already bought a replacement and locking nut. I have yet to be able to break it off though.

Has anyone else had this problem? The car only has 20k miles on it and it is a year and a month old. Why is this bolt so fused in there when no other bolt was this stuck?

Thanks for any and all advice.... I am due for an inspection this week and I really wanted to have my coilovers installed before my inspection but that is most def out the window now.
Does anyone know how much I'd have to pay a shop to bust this bolt out and replace it with the replacement bolt I have so that I can do the work myself after?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-12-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of the times I had to install some springs I ended up using a breaker bar and a long ___ pipe. I was able to add the pipe on so that it came out the wheel well to the side of the car. From there I was able to get just enough movement to free it up and go from there.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A breaker bar should do the trick. Also pb blaster really helps unseize bolts. If you don't have it, you should get it. Awesome stuff.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also use breaker bar with a long pipe. I soak that bolt with PB blaster too.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is PB blaster really that much different than white lithium and WD40? I mean i SOAKED the bolt with no luck... I don't believe me and a breaker bar is really going to be that much better than a 350+ psi gun. I did already try a torque wrench with a breaker bar... no luck. This bolt seems fused.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wd40 and pb blaster are different. Pb blaster actually soaks in. It saved me when wd40 did nothing. When I went to get my alignment, the people tried to adjust the bolts at the bottom of the struts with an air gun set at a much higher torque rating than I put on according to my torque wrench. The bolt didn't budge for them. But my huge breaker bar has no problem breaking it loose.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sYcksYn
Okay guys... I have been attempting to get my rear passenger side strut off for 3 attempts now. First attempt I used a 12 point attachment which obviously did not work but did not strip the bolt thankfully. My 2nd attempt I used a deep impact 6 point with a breaker bar... not much room to work with here and this also did not loosen the bolt at all. Finally I used a deep impact attachment 6 point with a 350+ lbs gun... this still did not have enough force to loosen the bolt at all. I have used WD40 and white lithium greese to try to break this bolt out and no luck at all....

Does anyone have any ideas of value on what I could do to get this bolt off? It is the bolt that connects the strut at the bottom. It is a grade 10 bolt with locking nut... Honestly I assume I am going to have to break this bolt in half to get it off so I already bought a replacement and locking nut. I have yet to be able to break it off though.

Has anyone else had this problem? The car only has 20k miles on it and it is a year and a month old. Why is this bolt so fused in there when no other bolt was this stuck?

Thanks for any and all advice.... I am due for an inspection this week and I really wanted to have my coilovers installed before my inspection but that is most def out the window now. Does anyone know how much I'd have to pay a shop to bust this bolt out and replace it with the replacement bolt I have so that I can do the work myself after?

PLEASE RESPOND. what was the bolt specs for the rear mounting bolt to the knuckle? mine were rusted/frozen and i had to cut it out, having a hard time finding a replacement.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneCruisers
... what was the bolt specs for the rear mounting bolt to the knuckle?
Check your private messages. I left some part number info and source links. I don't have any bolt specifications info. I think Toyota considers it proprietary.