Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clicking problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Clicking problem

My tC has 72k on it and I switched my springs out about 35k ago and put in H. Techs. I am happy with them but not happy with the camber issues I have so I'm going back to stock. My problem is that when I start up my car and put in in drive and take off in first gear (Auto trans) I hear a click or it also does the same thing when I brake, if I don't accelarate fast first off. I'm thinking its a mount, ball joint or a strut, but not really sure. Has anyone ran into this problem?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean by "camber issues", any camber that the springs cause should easily be adjusted out without a problem by any reputable alignment shop.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueTC06
My tC has 72k on it and I switched my springs out about 35k ago and put in H. Techs. I am happy with them but not happy with the camber issues I have so I'm going back to stock. My problem is that when I start up my car and put in in drive and take off in first gear (Auto trans) I hear a click or it also does the same thing when I brake, if I don't accelarate fast first off. I'm thinking its a mount, ball joint or a strut, but not really sure. Has anyone ran into this problem?

i think you mean the springs were lowering the car and that affected the camber? yeah any good alignment shop could help, the suspension, camber is adjustable on the tC. the click, have you checked all the mounting bolts of the struts? Im thinking the top bolts, make sure they're not loose.

I remember others having issues and found the top bolts were loose on the strut. does it click when going around corners too?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked all the bolts and did the alignment myself on a Hunter system. The camber is maxed out. I have torqued down the struts and the mounting bolts about a month ago. Has anyone had issue with the ball joints going bad?

Camber is not really that easy to fix on tC with aftermarket springs. I have learned the its almost not worth the little performance you get. Buy coilovers
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueTC06
I checked all the bolts and did the alignment myself on a Hunter system. The camber is maxed out. I have torqued down the struts and the mounting bolts about a month ago. Has anyone had issue with the ball joints going bad?

Camber is not really that easy to fix on tC with aftermarket springs. I have learned the its almost not worth the little performance you get. Buy coilovers
You should know that several companies sell camber bolts then too. Those add more adjust ability to the stock suspension.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Scio..._Scion_tC.html
H&R also makes a kit, and I believe a few others.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz
You should know that several companies sell camber bolts then too. Those add more adjust ability to the stock suspension.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Scio..._Scion_tC.html
H&R also makes a kit, and I believe a few others.

^X2

the stock bolt combination is only good for 0-0.5 degrees of camber. There are other combinations that increase this. TRDSparks has the alignment info on the factory bolt combos (out of 4 bolts). here is the pdf, it's on the last page of the pdf.

http://trdsparks.com/install/tCFWheelAlignment.pdf

And yes as Spicy_McHaggiz said there are aftermarket bolts that can get you back to specs.

balljoint if it's bad you can test it by seeing if there is any lateral movement, pull on the bottom of the tire with car in the air. have you checked the tightness of the three bolts that hold the ball joint onto the lower control arm? The torque for those bolts are 66ft-lbs.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 AM

same problem here. after putting on the s-tech i keep hearing a clicking noise when i press the brake whiling backing up. it doesn't click in drive. mine is an automatic and that was in 2008 with less than 10,000 miles on it.