Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/)
-   -   Car pulls to the left even after alignment (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/car-pulls-left-even-after-alignment-167784/)

sciontc_mich 07-30-2009 08:38 PM

makes me wonder if the NTB that sold jamarr the tires aligned it incorrectly so that he'd be back in to buy more tires!!:x

jamarr911 07-31-2009 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich (Post 3240895)
makes me wonder if the NTB that sold jamarr the tires aligned it incorrectly so that he'd be back in to buy more tires!!:x

Hey, actually I got the tires from a place called Safeway Tire, which by the way unmounted my old tires, balanced the new ones, and mounted them in about a hour, usually this takes NTB about twice as long, but before I got the tires put on I took the car to NTB to get it aligned since I have unlimited alignments for 12 months. Once that runs out this September, NTB will no longer have me as a customer. Today I finally got my lazy self up early in the morning and tried to take the car in to a NTB 2 minutes from my house. This was at 8:30 and they told me it would be a few hours before they got me!!!!! Come on!!! So I had to take to another one like 20 minutes away and still had to wait a hour. So when I told them about my problem the guy at the desk tried to tell me something to the effect that import cars like toyotas, hondas, ect have something where u cant adjust camber......I don't remember exactly what he said, but it sounded like complete BS. So after I got my alignment, I asked for a printout so I could post the specs on here...well this NTB just happened to not have a printer...but somehow they were able to print out my and the store copy receipt...The one thing I can say is that MOST of the pulling is gone, but I think from what someone else in this thread posted, the tires have basically been damaged because their is still a ever so slight pull to the left, its slow and gradual, but not hard and immediate like it was before. So it's official, if you care about your car, and your tires DON'T F WITH NTB!

sciontc_mich 07-31-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by jamarr911 (Post 3241834)
Hey, actually I got the tires from a place called Safeway Tire, which by the way unmounted my old tires, balanced the new ones, and mounted them in about a hour, usually this takes NTB about twice as long, but before I got the tires put on I took the car to NTB to get it aligned since I have unlimited alignments for 12 months. Once that runs out this September, NTB will no longer have me as a customer. Today I finally got my lazy self up early in the morning and tried to take the car in to a NTB 2 minutes from my house. This was at 8:30 and they told me it would be a few hours before they got me!!!!! Come on!!! So I had to take to another one like 20 minutes away and still had to wait a hour. So when I told them about my problem the guy at the desk tried to tell me something to the effect that import cars like toyotas, hondas, ect have something where u cant adjust camber......I don't remember exactly what he said, but it sounded like complete BS. So after I got my alignment, I asked for a printout so I could post the specs on here...well this NTB just happened to not have a printer...but somehow they were able to print out my and the store copy receipt...The one thing I can say is that MOST of the pulling is gone, but I think from what someone else in this thread posted, the tires have basically been damaged because their is still a ever so slight pull to the left, its slow and gradual, but not hard and immediate like it was before. So it's official, if you care about your car, and your tires DON'T F WITH NTB!

hey jamarr.. so yeah more uninformed people telling lies.. Honda Civics don't have adjustable camber, our tC does. but you already had the BS monitor running when you were talking to them and could realize they were full of it. sorry about that ntb comment, so it was somewhere else where you got the tires.

and don't worry about the pull if it was only like 100 miles or so, then if this is aligned correctly it MIGHT work itself back out. When you run your hand over the tires is there any cupping or "saw like" feeling?

were you able to get under the car and see if the tie rods are about the same length?

and you're right sounds like this NTB is horrible.. We don't have that here in this area.

jamarr911 07-31-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich (Post 3242036)
hey jamarr.. so yeah more uninformed people telling lies.. Honda Civics don't have adjustable camber, our tC does. but you already had the BS monitor running when you were talking to them and could realize they were full of it. sorry about that ntb comment, so it was somewhere else where you got the tires.

and don't worry about the pull if it was only like 100 miles or so, then if this is aligned correctly it MIGHT work itself back out. When you run your hand over the tires is there any cupping or "saw like" feeling?

were you able to get under the car and see if the tie rods are about the same length?

and you're right sounds like this NTB is horrible.. We don't have that here in this area.

Well it's actually been more like 3000 miles on the tires, or about 10 days....I drive about 300 miles per day, and the first few days I thought it was from a balance issue, (the tires vibrated pretty bad from the start because the place that put them on didnt balance them correctly, and then I started to notice the pull again) I'll have to get under the car again to check the tie rod threads, and i'll also try the hand thing over the tires, thanks

sciontc_mich 07-31-2009 05:37 PM

hey no problem, keep us posted as to what ya find :)

austinchisholm 08-01-2009 05:41 PM

Sounds like someone new should be doing your alignment

Jan06xB 08-01-2009 06:03 PM

Another thing that can happen with different adjustments on the tie rod ends is when the suspension compresses when you get in the car it can affect the alignment of the tires differently since the length of the tie rod pivots and the lower A arm could be different. Another thing to consider is if you weight more than say 200lbs then you should have the alignment done with you sitting in the car since that can affect the pull or you can try passengers in the car on the right side to see if that affects the pull. If the rear tires are not tracking properly then the car will crab and that can make the car pull to the side since the car is traveling at an angle to the head wind. Get a lazer level or a board with a straw taped to it and see where the rear tires align. If you sight them and see that they are aiming to the right then that is your problem.

jamarr911 08-02-2009 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jan06xB (Post 3243748)
Another thing that can happen with different adjustments on the tie rod ends is when the suspension compresses when you get in the car it can affect the alignment of the tires differently since the length of the tie rod pivots and the lower A arm could be different. Another thing to consider is if you weight more than say 200lbs then you should have the alignment done with you sitting in the car since that can affect the pull or you can try passengers in the car on the right side to see if that affects the pull. If the rear tires are not tracking properly then the car will crab and that can make the car pull to the side since the car is traveling at an angle to the head wind. Get a lazer level or a board with a straw taped to it and see where the rear tires align. If you sight them and see that they are aiming to the right then that is your problem.

Thanks Jan06xB ill have to try that

User 112921 09-17-2009 01:10 AM

wanted to bump this to avoid creating a new thread..
my question is do places take off the wheels to do an alignment?
i know its called a "wheel alignment" but was wondering just in case since i have a broken lug stuck and i dont have time to take it off because of school

sciontc_mich 09-17-2009 04:18 AM

^^ nope.. they do it with the wheels on.. hence a wheel alignment :D

User 112921 09-17-2009 04:19 AM

alright cool.. time to get my way overdue one this weekend then :)

lampe27 09-17-2009 04:34 AM

I got my alignment done today at Bob Sumerel Tires and the mechanic actually let me in the garage and I got under the car and he showed me how he was doing everything. It was pretty cool, and I got to make sure everything was exactly perfect.

sciontc_mich 09-18-2009 03:55 AM

^^ those are the places I like going to. Where the mechanic/technician is on the same thinking as you are. Where getting it perfect is the only setting :)