Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

car vibration after axle install, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default car vibration after axle install, help!

Recently I had a "performance shop" replace both my front axles after bringing it to the shop for a simple thumping noise when slightly turning right. I knew my boots were shredded from being low (about half an iPhone off the ground low) but the axles themselves were making no clicking/clunking noises i was aware of, i had them replaced anyways. After installation of the new aftermarket axles the car shook and vibrated through the steering wheel and gas pedals pretty badly so I turned right around and they claimed the new axles were binding because I was so low, but i have never had this problem before with my oem axles. They said raising the car would solve it so I had them raise the car just to shut them up and the car still vibrates under acceleration mainly during 2nd/3rd gear then again at highway speeds. I got my car back friday and the shop was closed over the weekend so i decided to get an alignment, rebalancing, and rotation which did absolutely nothing. My only guess to this problem is the aftermarket axles are slightly longer/defective or installed wrong. Any suggestions as to what it would be? Im a freshmen in college living in a dorm so I don't have many tools to check things out myself..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the aftermarket axles cannot take the angle of the car that is lowered. there was someone on here that was slammed pretty low and put in aftermarket axles from pepboys? and they always vibrated under 30 mph and slight vibration after that. i say find yourself OEM axles off of ebay and repack the cv boots yourself and replace those aftermarket ones.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM

I had the same problem with my scion. From what I was told by a body shop, the lowering springs had "relaxed" an additional inch making the car sit 3 inches below stock height. This is what created the vibration. I am being told to raise my car back to stock height to prevent this from happening, but I plan to slam my car at least 4 inches. The same body shop said the spindles need replaced in order to lower the car 4 inches without a vibration. My boyfriend had an 07 tC dropped 4 inches with H&R Ultra Low Coilover Kit and never had to replace the spindles or had a vibration under acceleration.

My question is what needs to be done to my car in order to have a 4 inch drop & what coilover kit will get me that kind of result?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your boyfriend did it, so why are you asking us?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tc913
sounds like the aftermarket axles cannot take the angle of the car that is lowered. there was someone on here that was slammed pretty low and put in aftermarket axles from pepboys? and they always vibrated under 30 mph and slight vibration after that. i say find yourself OEM axles off of ebay and repack the cv boots yourself and replace those aftermarket ones.
is this an oem axle or rebuilt/refurbished one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-tC-05-...7f8da4&vxp=mtr
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's def oem
Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Your boyfriend did it, so why are you asking us?
Way to be a smartass. I am asking for confirmation. Has anyone else installed H&R Ultra Low coils on their tC? Did additional parts need to be replaced/upgraded in order to have a properly working suspension? Again, an auto shop is telling me my car needs to revert back to stock ride height in order to prevent a vibration during acceleration. I call bull____. This forum, as well as numerous other forums and websites, showcase slammed tCs. I want a 4 inch drop for mine, if possible, without going to air suspension.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

?????????????????????????????????????????????/

Again, your boyfriend did it, so wouldn't he have the answers to those questions? Or is a little slow like you?

Of course you don't need to be stock ride height to eliminate the vibration. You just need have to some things replaced that are causing that. And of course a lot of work goes into be that low. Take a look at your boyfriends car. I just don't get why you can't talk to him about it, that's all???
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
?????????????????????????????????????????????/

Again, your boyfriend did it, so wouldn't he have the answers to those questions? Or is a little slow like you?

Of course you don't need to be stock ride height to eliminate the vibration. You just need have to some things replaced that are causing that. And of course a lot of work goes into be that low. Take a look at your boyfriends car. I just don't get why you can't talk to him about it, that's all???
Why do you find it necessary to insult someone who is obviously wanting to gain knowledge about their car? Learning about the mechanics of my car is completely new to me. Give me a break.

You're assuming my boyfriend did the work. He had them installed by a performance shop. Also, the context I used describes past tense. He HAD an 07 Scion tC which he no longer owns. If he had a definative answer, I wouldn't have registered to a scion forum.

With that said, will you explain, in detail, what parts need to be replaced in order to achieve the drop I want? Air is going to give me the drop but not the performance. Coils will give me the performance but not the drop. Is there a best of both worlds solution?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha. Gotcha. And Gotcha. My bad.

Now, let's start by you know that "slammed" and "performance" do not and cannot go hand in hand. A good reference of when performance is lost is when the top of your tire starts tucking. Best performance/only performance is to have coilovers with zero wheel gap, yet zero tuck. So you'll need to give up the performance factor. Slammed on Ultra lows or air is going to be needed to be treated and driven the exact same.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Aside from deciding between coils and air, what needs to be altered on my car to support either component? I was told to purchase "drop spindles" to accommodate the drop and avoid the axels vibrating when under acceleration. Apparently "drop spindles" only apply to mini trucks, or sewing.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for our cars it is called a RCA (roll center adjuster). you can look it up but they don't make em for our cars. there was someone trying to have someone to build one but that it never went anywhere.

and I am not sure if H&R sell "ultra low" coilovers for our cars. I think they only make one type of coilovers and I am unsure how low they go.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, H&R makes coilovers for the tC, however, they aren't ultra lows like for the German stuff. This is what their website says.

Approx Lowering: 1.2-2.7" F & 1.0-2.0" R

Thumbs down.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member

Wait, so is this half of an iphone 5? 4?

As for the wobbling, it's the new axle. I have had 11 different axles (all ____ty remans) and about half of them wobble, while half dont. The amount of low your car has does effect them, but its a balancing thing from what i've noticed. I have bc br "extreme drop" and they have two collars and are maxxed out. They've remained the same height with all of these different axles. Often times you'll get a bad batch. Next time, don't pay a place to put them in. They're actually very very simple, i'm confident you could do it.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question

Originally Posted by blackjackmon
Wait, so is this half of an iphone 5? 4?

As for the wobbling, it's the new axle. I have had 11 different axles (all ____ty remans) and about half of them wobble, while half dont. The amount of low your car has does effect them, but its a balancing thing from what i've noticed. I have bc br "extreme drop" and they have two collars and are maxxed out. They've remained the same height with all of these different axles. Often times you'll get a bad batch. Next time, don't pay a place to put them in. They're actually very very simple, i'm confident you could do it.
I just replaced my driver side cv axle because my boot was torn. I'm also on BC coilovers and have this vibration issue. I replaced my OEM cv axle with one from EMPI. I figure they would all work the same and what not but it seems like it's the aftermarket cv axle replacements still vibrate. So did you continue to use the aftermarket cv axles while being lowered and if so how did it go? Any issues?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your axle doesn't have the shaft dampner that the OEM one does. ^^^
Old 06-17-2014, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
Your axle doesn't have the shaft dampner that the OEM one does. ^^^
Yeah I ended up ordering an OEM one and will be replacing this EMPI I had installed.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ next time just replace the cv boot cause usually there is nothing wrong with the bearing inside but just the boot ripped. it's a messy job but beats having to pull the axle out and put another one in esp for the driver side. it's an easy job!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc913
^ next time just replace the cv boot cause usually there is nothing wrong with the bearing inside but just the boot ripped. it's a messy job but beats having to pull the axle out and put another one in esp for the driver side. it's an easy job!
Well I would of had to replace the whole half shaft anyways because the threads where the 12point nut goes onto was so rusted that we stripped it trying to take it off.