Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

1G Front Sway Bar Bushings (Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 09:17 PM

Default 1G Front Sway Bar Bushings (Replacement)

Hey guys! This is my first post here and I just want to say I’m grateful for all the help I’ve gotten from reading all of your posts.

I just wanted to share a quick tip since I did not see it here:

If you want a possibly less time consuming way to remove your front SB bushings without dropping the subframe, use an additional jack on the ball joint area and after pushed up a handful of times the sway bar will lift. Of course do not crank it all the way up but you can give yourself enough room to just pull the bushing out.

I used a regular 12mm socket with a 3 inch extension for both front bolts driver/passenger. I spent about 20 minutes unfortunately quarter turning the driver side rear bracket bolt with a monkey wrench (didn’t have a ratcheting one) and a flat ratchet with the 12mm socket on the passenger side rear bolt. Popped the brackets with a long flathead. From there took a jack to the ball joint and gently pumped until the sway bar lifted. Since the bracket is off, you get some movement in the bar. Then you can easily slide the bushing passed that dumb lip on the subframe. Yes dropping the subframe makes for less bs but I really wasn’t about to take the time to do that. It took me 2 hours after watching some dude do it on a Camry and said it took him much longer. 12mm ratcheting end monkey wrench, flat ratchet from harbor freight, and the 3 inch extension on a normal 3/8 ratchet makes this all possible and simple fix. And also, jacking the car up from the front seemed best to me.

Hope this helps someone! Take care!

Last edited by Joe_tC1G; 05-02-2022 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great thread. Even if it took two hours, I like your procedure.

Here's what Toyota wants you to do, just to remove two bushings. (First 24 steps):

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
123.pdf (570.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-08-2022, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Great thread. Even if it took two hours, I like your procedure.

Here's what Toyota wants you to do, just to remove two bushings. (First 24 steps):
Thanks! I actually didn’t read that when I was doing my research lol. I read here someone mentioning the subframe. First thought in my head, “nope F that” seeing that Toyota manual gives me shivers sometimes. I gotta tackle CA’s and probably the rear laterals. I figured it would be good to restore the suspension as close to 100% before I start doing things like coil overs or hub spacers to go drive in pothole filled roads in good Ol’ PA.