Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/)
-   -   Front wheel bearing keeps going out? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/front-wheel-bearing-keeps-going-out-235776/)

BDog21 02-06-2018 05:39 PM

Front wheel bearing keeps going out?

Hey guys, i have a 2007 tC and cant figure out why my wheel bearing keeps going out? I had it replaced last September, bought a bearing off ebay and had it installed at a shop. About 2 months later. the same wheel bearing went out again. So took it to a different shop and they told me " we need to replace the hub too, otherwise this new bearing is going to go bad really quick again" so i had them replace the hub and bearing. Now its been about 3 months and it seems like the bearing is going bad again. If i lift the car up and grab the wheel by the top and bottom, i can get a little bit of play out of the wheel, which from my understanding more than likely means bad wheel bearing, plus ive got a loud clunk when i hit even the smallest bumps, sounds like a really bad ball joint, but the ball joint is fine and everything else in the suspension seems to be fine. Any ideas why this same bearing keeps going out?

BDog21 02-12-2018 02:36 AM

nobody.....?

texascion2 02-15-2018 04:03 PM

im having the same issue. I replaced it a total of two times and still had the same winding sound when driving and a hard cluck on some bumps. have you checked the struts? maybe its blown.

i do believe thats what my issue is and as a result the lack of support on that side is causing extra wear on the bearings, i believe this is my issue. you could be in the same boat. on pay day im buying me a "kit" from autozone, it has zero reviews so i guess ill be the first to give it a try.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...56_249912_2888
or
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m...&q=strut+shock

Gonna do some research but ill be selecting on of these.
ill update this once its up and running to see if that was the underlining issue. hopefully this helps.

if it comes down to having answer right away i would recomend a dealership or a mechanic that you trust and have them check that out. if the dealersip trys to sell you on extra stuff like lets say "having all the tires the same otherwise the test result could be wrong" just tell them that your looking for this and only this nothing else.

they tried to get me to buy 4 new tires to get my strut checked. gave them the bird and left lol

Best of luck tho

BDog21 02-15-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by texascion2 (Post 4285194)
im having the same issue. I replaced it a total of two times and still had the same winding sound when driving and a hard cluck on some bumps. have you checked the struts? maybe its blown.

i do believe thats what my issue is and as a result the lack of support on that side is causing extra wear on the bearings, i believe this is my issue. you could be in the same boat. on pay day im buying me a "kit" from autozone, it has zero reviews so i guess ill be the first to give it a try.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...56_249912_2888
or
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m...&q=strut+shock

Gonna do some research but ill be selecting on of these.
ill update this once its up and running to see if that was the underlining issue. hopefully this helps.

if it comes down to having answer right away i would recomend a dealership or a mechanic that you trust and have them check that out. if the dealersip trys to sell you on extra stuff like lets say "having all the tires the same otherwise the test result could be wrong" just tell them that your looking for this and only this nothing else.

they tried to get me to buy 4 new tires to get my strut checked. gave them the bird and left lol

Best of luck tho

Ya let me know if you figure it out. I'm taking mine in to have the wheel bearing replaced under warranty right now, gonna have them check the struts. Mine does have red TRD struts I'm guessing those are not stock?

texascion2 02-15-2018 04:39 PM

Yea, my original ones are stock yea, but for now just gonna settle for either of these two. I'll let ya know either way.

TRD Struts are nice my friend has those on her tC, handling is nice.

BDog21 02-28-2018 12:36 PM

ok, so i get the wheel bearing done, and immediately notice, the loud clunk is still there.and lately it had been REALLY bad, i mean any tiny little bump in the road was a LOUD clunk, sounded like the worst ball joint youve ever heard. after checking the entire front end over 5 or 6 times, i finally figured out what it was! It was the upper strut mount bolt! tightened it back to 35 ft/lb, and BAM no more clunk!

Tjaye2013 03-04-2018 06:50 AM

My advice, never buy anything from eBay unless you know the brand. Amazon is much more reliable with their parts and reviews. Also Autozone can sell crappy "remanufactored" or sometimes even new parts. I stopped buying from Autozone 2 years ago after they sold me 3 crappy clutch master cylinders in a row, went to Napa Auto Parts, problem solved. Also, this could be an alignment issue as well. If the wheel is our of align, it can put a lot of stress on the wheel bearing causing it to fail over time. if you haven't gotten an alignment since the bearing has been replaced, I suggest going to get it realigned.

BDog21 05-09-2018 03:29 AM

OK, so here we are, just over 2 months after replacing the wheel bearing, I was hoping that maybe the strut bolt being loose mightr have shifted some alignment angle or something putting pressure on the bearing where its not supposed to or something causing it to fail and that i wouldnt have the wheel bearing issue anymore. But the last couple days guess what? that famililar old rotational hum/grind sound oif the damn wheel bearing going out AGAIN! Now im wondering if brakes plus will warranty repair their warranty replcaement that they did? i kind of think that they should, but at the same time, at this point they could say "well it just keeps happenting, there is clearly some other problem causing it, and its not their fault or the part manufacturers fault" but i guess we will see when i call them tonmorrow....

xile6 05-11-2018 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by BDog21 (Post 4286336)
OK, so here we are, just over 2 months after replacing the wheel bearing, I was hoping that maybe the strut bolt being loose mightr have shifted some alignment angle or something putting pressure on the bearing where its not supposed to or something causing it to fail and that i wouldnt have the wheel bearing issue anymore. But the last couple days guess what? that famililar old rotational hum/grind sound oif the damn wheel bearing going out AGAIN! Now im wondering if brakes plus will warranty repair their warranty replcaement that they did? i kind of think that they should, but at the same time, at this point they could say "well it just keeps happenting, there is clearly some other problem causing it, and its not their fault or the part manufacturers fault" but i guess we will see when i call them tonmorrow....

Thats kinda bad. They shouldnt be failing that often.
Its possible the shop install it wrong (over pressed it)

Deviinng 08-14-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BDog21 (Post 4286336)

I know this was 3 months ago but did you ever figure out what was causing the bad wheel bearings? I'm in the same exact situation, 2009 with the Red TRD Springs, I've went through 2 wheel bearings this year and am currently working on it as we speak.
I've already replaced ball joint, CV shaft, and hub. I've been using National Bearing, I was thinking maybe a problem with the bearing, but you have already used another brand.

bbsciontc 08-22-2018 01:17 PM

Stick with OEM bearings. I wouldn't mess with anything else. Also, make sure everything else is in good condition (e.g. LCA bushings, ball joints, tie rods and end links.)

BDog21 11-22-2018 04:21 AM

well, it started making a loud clunk whenever i hit a bump, which i discovered was the upper strut mount bolts were loose, i tightened those down and it fixed the clunk, and havent had an issue with the wheel bearing since, not sure if maybe it was throwing off some alignment angle or something and that was causing the bearing to go out or what, but i havent had an issue since