Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Ground Control Coil Kit + Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Ground Control Coil Kit + Koni Yellows

My current setup right now is OEM Shocks and Tein S techs. Its about time to change my suspension due to cracking noise from the front and rear (probably wore out struts). I was wondering if anyone of you guys have this setup right now and how it is? The ground control kit can get me just a tad bit more lower than the S Techs to get me gapless.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard that setup works really well for civics. Not to sure about the tC though. I was thinking about for with that setup before I got my coilovers. Saw one other guy that I this setup.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
Saw one other guy that I this setup.
Was it on a tC?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Coilover sleaves are the cheap way out. Don't do it, they will make poping sounds over bumps, and be really bouncy. Had them on a civic I bought, got rid of them within a month...just buy the TRD struts off of TRDsparks...you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Coilover sleaves are the cheap way out. Don't do it, they will make poping sounds over bumps, and be really bouncy. Had them on a civic I bought, got rid of them within a month
I agree there. It is a cheaper way out, and the Konis like on some of the civics are not true replacement shocks. The fronts are inserts, which require you to cut open the stock shock, replace the guts with the Koni ones and then reseal it back shut. PITA for sure.

Check out some NICE coilovers like KW. We have them in stock, SUPER nice build quality and screamin pricing for what they are.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_kw_variant_2_coiloverstc_05.cfm
Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Paul I checked out those coils but from the specs you gave its not enough drop for me. But the rest of your site is great
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sauce
Paul I checked out those coils but from the specs you gave its not enough drop for me. But the rest of your site is great
Those offer a decent dump at 2.3" FR & RR, which is measured like so:

Lowering much more than 2.3", I would not recommend on a shock at all. You may want to consider hydros or air bags then
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
Saw one other guy that I this setup.
Was it on a tC?
Yeah it was. Cant remember his name though
Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the S-Techs on the stock struts. I think I am about to buy the Tokico HPs for my car
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If ya want to go low I would suggest get B&G's since they can go pretty low. Stick with true coilovers and not the sleeves. I agree with paul since if ya want to go low low then go with air bags.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc913
If ya want to go low I would suggest get B&G's since they can go pretty low. Stick with true coilovers and not the sleeves. I agree with paul since if ya want to go low low then go with air bags.
i dont wanna get so low that im bottoming out. just gapless. 3.0 drop is the most im looking at. cuz the s techs say they drop 2.4F and 2.0R
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well your on stocks correct?? Are you going for any performance or just for looks?? If 3 inches is what you want, then go with some true coilovers.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Well your on stocks correct?? Are you going for any performance or just for looks?? If 3 inches is what you want, then go with some true coilovers.
Stocks as in wheels? If so then no. Im in 18" Tenzo R DC5's. Performance over looks
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are going for performance then I suggest you just go with a TRD drop. Anything beyond 1.5 inches drop just ruins you handling dramatically.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with tokicos.. cheaper than trd's! really nice shocks i never heard anything bad about them.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lolz performance over looks? you're running s-techs on stock shocks and 18" tenzos.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aroddalobster
lolz performance over looks? you're running s-techs on stock shocks and 18" tenzos.
performance as in how well it can perform on the track/road. & looks as in bodykits and dumping your car.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

3" is practically riding the ground. Not even full blown race cars drive that low because it alters the suspension geometry so much.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont wanna get so low that im bottoming out. just gapless. 3.0 drop is the most im looking at. cuz the s techs say they drop 2.4F and 2.0R
It do not understand what you are looking for, and I don't think you know either. You say you want a lower drop than the s-techs (2.4") even though you are already bottoming out. Now you want to go even lower and not bottom out. And at the same time you want some performance out of your suspension. The only way I can see you accomplishing that is for you to buy some really high end dampeners with adjustable shock bodies. Make sure they are valved for very high spring rates and even then you would probably have to run any where above 14k in the front to keep them from bottoming out. However that spring rate is nowhere near drive able on the street.

Now for the Koni Yellow/ GC question you have, that is the #1 budget choice for Honda/Acura auto x'ers. The Konis are a great performance shock which can be pretty much customized to whatever application you want it for. You can send them off to get the body shortened, the dampening to be reset for higher spring rates or different track surfaces. They are a great budget suspension. Also, whoever you buy your ground controls from you can also specify your desired spring rate. Take note the Yellows are only recommended to hold a 600lb/in spring.

I just re read your posts and it seems that you care most about your drop than anything else. So I would recommend some very cheap low grade coilovers with adjustable bodies. The D2's, K-Sports or Megans are all very cheap and will allow you to slam your car how you want it. If you want to get serious about performance I would recommend you the KW Variant 2's that Paul suggested, or doing a custom koni/gc setup. The latter of which takes a little more suspension knowledge to get a good setup out of.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WendysOrBust
It do not understand what you are looking for, and I don't think you know either. You say you want a lower drop than the s-techs (2.4") even though you are already bottoming out. Now you want to go even lower and not bottom out. And at the same time you want some performance out of your suspension. The only way I can see you accomplishing that is for you to buy some really high end dampeners with adjustable shock bodies. Make sure they are valved for very high spring rates and even then you would probably have to run any where above 14k in the front to keep them from bottoming out. However that spring rate is nowhere near drive able on the street.

Now for the Koni Yellow/ GC question you have, that is the #1 budget choice for Honda/Acura auto x'ers. The Konis are a great performance shock which can be pretty much customized to whatever application you want it for. You can send them off to get the body shortened, the dampening to be reset for higher spring rates or different track surfaces. They are a great budget suspension. Also, whoever you buy your ground controls from you can also specify your desired spring rate. Take note the Yellows are only recommended to hold a 600lb/in spring.

I just re read your posts and it seems that you care most about your drop than anything else. So I would recommend some very cheap low grade coilovers with adjustable bodies. The D2's, K-Sports or Megans are all very cheap and will allow you to slam your car how you want it. If you want to get serious about performance I would recommend you the KW Variant 2's that Paul suggested, or doing a custom koni/gc setup. The latter of which takes a little more suspension knowledge to get a good setup out of.
Misunderstanding lol. I am NOT bottoming out. I dont want to get to that point with the suspension. Just gapless. And on your second paragraph I dont understand the 600lb/in spring part.

P.S. I am on a budget

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coil Kit + Koni Yellows