Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Ground Control Coil Kit + Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sauce
Misunderstanding lol. I am NOT bottoming out. I dont want to get to that point with the suspension. Just gapless. And on your second paragraph I dont understand the 600lb/in spring part.

P.S. I am on a budget
I understand, all of us are. I'm surprised you are not bottoming out. With the kind of drop the s-techs give you and paired up with the factory shocks I would think you'd be very close to riding on the bump stops. The 600lb/in is a spring rate btw. Anyways if you want to to a cheap suspension upgrade I would go with the Tein basics. They offer the same spring rates are the Super Streets without the dampening adjust ability. It might not seem like a bargain at first since you could buy generic coilovers (megan, D2, and kSports) for a little more that offer a bundle of features. However none really have the reputation of Tein.

If you want to learn a little about ride heights and the effects they have on suspension geometry I suggest you read Dr. Isotopes thread on his Tein SSp install and corner weighing. There are a few posts in there that recommend and explain why lowering the car is actually a bad way of trying to increase handling with the car.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243962
Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WendysOrBust
Originally Posted by Sauce
Misunderstanding lol. I am NOT bottoming out. I dont want to get to that point with the suspension. Just gapless. And on your second paragraph I dont understand the 600lb/in spring part.

P.S. I am on a budget
I understand, all of us are. I'm surprised you are not bottoming out. With the kind of drop the s-techs give you and paired up with the factory shocks I would think you'd be very close to riding on the bump stops. The 600lb/in is a spring rate btw. Anyways if you want to to a cheap suspension upgrade I would go with the Tein basics. They offer the same spring rates are the Super Streets without the dampening adjust ability. It might not seem like a bargain at first since you could buy generic coilovers (megan, D2, and kSports) for a little more that offer a bundle of features. However none really have the reputation of Tein.

If you want to learn a little about ride heights and the effects they have on suspension geometry I suggest you read Dr. Isotopes thread on his Tein SSp install and corner weighing. There are a few posts in there that recommend and explain why lowering the car is actually a bad way of trying to increase handling with the car.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243962
Thanks for that info. But in your opinion the Tein setup or the GC and Konis?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Def Tein since Tein made the springs to compliment the shocks for the coilovers. If you choose GC and Koni's you are basically mixing and matching so that won't give the best performance wise. Tein has tested their coilovers so I would pick Tein.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc913
Def Tein since Tein made the springs to compliment the shocks for the coilovers. If you choose GC and Koni's you are basically mixing and matching so that won't give the best performance wise. Tein has tested their coilovers so I would pick Tein.
Yeah I would get the Teins too. You COULD get better performance out of the Koni/GC setup but it takes allot more "know-how" to get everything working together right. The off the shelf GC spring rates are (i think) 300lb/in, the Tein Basic rates are 390lb in the front, and 560lb's in the rear. A little stiffer than the off the shelf GC setup.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is so useful... someone should sticky it or something. lol now, someone just has to post up all the info on all the coils and we got an official suspension info thread.