Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clunking Noise in Rear over Small Bumps

Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 AM

Default Clunking Noise in Rear over Small Bumps

2005 tC with Vogtland springs and Tokico struts installed ~4 months ago. Getting a noticeable noise when driving at low speeds over potholes or speed bumps. I tore out the trunk interior and tightened down the rear strut bolts with no effect. Been told this may be bad rear bushings, but would they go this quickly and on both sides?

Noises are most pronounced when car rocks laterally from left to right, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

Last edited by speedracerxyz; 02-21-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed the same thing after installing my coilovers, after checking all of my work about three times over, I found that the noise was coming from the hatch braces (the little black pieces on the left and right side of the hatch). I'm not sure if the noise was there before I lowered it, or if it's coming from the stiffer ride. Anyway, it's worth a try. I got the noise to quit by closing a rag between the two pieces. I know it's not even a temp fix, but atleast I fugured out where it was coming from. lol
Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine does this now. I have 106k miles. so I know for a fact I have a blown shock or two
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedracerxyz
2005 tC with Vogtland springs and Tokico struts installed ~4 months ago. Getting a noticeable noise when driving at low speeds over potholes or speed bumps. I tore out the trunk interior and tightened down the rear strut bolts with no effect. Been told this may be bad rear bushings, but would they go this quickly and on both sides?

Noises are most pronounced when car rocks laterally from left to right, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.
Did you cut your bump stops when you installed them?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Aphex13
I noticed the same thing after installing my coilovers, after checking all of my work about three times over, I found that the noise was coming from the hatch braces (the little black pieces on the left and right side of the hatch). I'm not sure if the noise was there before I lowered it, or if it's coming from the stiffer ride. Anyway, it's worth a try. I got the noise to quit by closing a rag between the two pieces. I know it's not even a temp fix, but atleast I fugured out where it was coming from. lol
Wow... that is REALLY interesting b/c I DID just buy two rear liftgate struts, but went to install and one of them broke so I kept the original on the left side. When I was just jumping up and down on the rear of the car with the hatch open, I did notice that there was a small noise coming from the side with the new hatch strut on it.

Are you saying that your noise was the lift struts or are the hatch braces you mention something else?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 0kin
Did you cut your bump stops when you installed them?
Yes, definitely chopped bump stops and does not appear to be when shocks are fully compressed, but even at 2mph and dipping into a small pothole in the road.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

having the same problems with my htechs. wish i knew what it was cause its really annoying at times
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedracerxyz
Wow... that is REALLY interesting b/c I DID just buy two rear liftgate struts, but went to install and one of them broke so I kept the original on the left side. When I was just jumping up and down on the rear of the car with the hatch open, I did notice that there was a small noise coming from the side with the new hatch strut on it.

Are you saying that your noise was the lift struts or are the hatch braces you mention something else?
No, mine was coming from the two pieces that fit together when the trunk is closed. I'll take pics when I have time, but if you were still getting the noise when your trunk was open, this is not your problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its normal
Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem on my H-Techs + TRD shocks that I installed myself. I checked all the bolts that I could check without uninstalling anything, nothing was loose. I took it to Toyota and they looked everything over and even drove around with a tech in the trunk trying to find the source. They couldn't find the cause so I just had them uninstall the springs + shocks, including taking the springs off of the shocks, and then reinstall them. After that the problem was (and continues to be) gone... but it cost a stack of money to have done.

So IMO, something is wrong with the spring install and it needs to be redone.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 AM

It is not the top shock bolts. Unweighted shocks and tightened them up again and no change from before. Tore out rear sound insulation and took a ride around in the back of the car listening for the location of the sound. All I can tell is that it is underneath car. Almost sounds like a loose wheel (yes, lugs checked), as it clunks on small bumps at low speed, not so much at speed.

I am going to bring it in to a local garage and have them take a look at this thing b/c it is driving me crazy. No way this is normal.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I had also tried jacking the car up and tightening everything, with no effect. I suspect there is something wrong with how the spring is seated on the shock - but I can't be positive.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member

I have 143,000 miles on my car and this started about 5000 ago. I put my car on a lift and went underneath and found it to be the stabalizer bushings. When you jack up the car shake the stabalizer bar and see if it makes the clunking noise. I thought my struts were shot, but it was just bushings. Its an easy fix, hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

speedracerxyz, have you checked the sway bar end links?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on the endlinks. mine was doing the same thing, but would knock when i slolamed style as well. it was the end link not being 100% tight/seated, the slightest gap will make a sound. fixed it with kjb adjustable endlinks, but a few days later it started back.. havent figured this one out.. only does it going over speed bumps slow, or into my driveway which has a little incline. my fiances car would doing a similar sound, but would only do it going on little dips in the road, etc.. hers was the spring had slighly turned and was seated close to the little notch in the seat bucket.. i guess when it unloaded it shifted a little and would slide over and knock when it loaded again
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
SL Member

check your rear sway bar bushings. my rear bushing when bad at 80,000 miles. The noise was really bad a low speeds. It was $35 at the local Scion dealer and it was a 20 min install!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

mine does the same some clunking noise but the sound is coming from the front passenger side. im not even dropped at all still all stock its a 05 with 70000 miles on it. low speed over any lil bump sounds like my wheel is gonna fall off ive checked all bolts none are loose
Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
SL Member

boombazokajoe91182

Check you sway bar bushings or endlinks!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had clunking noises after being on my JIC coilovers for about 5 months. Ended up being the front sway bar. Once the coils settled I had the noise pretty bad. I had to adjust a little to get the sway bar from clunking. Adjustable front end links will be your best friend...In your case though I dont think your springs get you low enough to have issues with sway bar rub so it may be the bushings!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by thekevin
speedracerxyz, have you checked the sway bar end links?
I have only ever torn out / replaced the shocks, never touched the endlinks or bushings. Is there a write-up somewhere here on swapping these? Looked over the DIY section but did not see anything specifically on these. If endlinks were broken assuming it would be pretty obvious when I am looking under the car (I do not have a lift readily accessible to me)?

From sounds of other posts, may be worth while to simply swap out OEM sway bar for TRD for better performance on dropped-TC. Any input on that? Is difference that noticeable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking Noise in Rear over Small Bumps