Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/)
-   -   Rear Brake Scraping Noise... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/rear-brake-scraping-noise-225512/)

tC8 10-27-2013 02:16 AM

Rear Brake Scraping Noise...

Hey guys. So I have a 2006 Scion tC, and about a three years ago the rear brakes needed replacement. So I decided to replace them by myself for new pads and rotors.

The easiest part was to get the caliper off and change the pads. The hardest part seemed to be getting the rotors off. So here's what I did...originally I had thought the rotors might have been seized due to rusting issues. So when I looked at the rotor, there were two holes were you can put screws so that you can counter or remove the seized rotor out of the hub. Thus, that was what I did...a few cranks and sounds of "bing" or "dings"...but as I kept on turning the screw, I noticed that the rotor was pretty much off the hub, but still won't budge or let loose...so I kept on going, turning and turning the screw, UNTIL the rotors came loose. Here's where my problem started...I also noticed that my ebrake was up... -_-

When everything was said and done, I put on the new pads and rotors and everything seemed quite snug...but when I went for a test drive, I hear this annoying loud scraping noise coming from the rear. Originally I thought that my calipers might be seized, but had them inspected and they were ok...So someone told me that I might have bent the dust shield, but I have bent that flimsy thing as far back as I could so it doesn't even touch the rotors. So, I decided to drive it for a while and maybe the noise might go away.

Present Time: Today I changed the pads and rotors. This time I knew better not to have the ebrake up, and also adjust the ebrake spindle inside the rotor hub. After doing that, the rotors came off quite ok. Put new ones on and went for a test drive...that original noise three years ago CAME BACK!!! AAAAHHH...at this point I really don't know what's going on. Anyone have had this similar problem?

I don't know if the whole ebrake kit is bad (but everything seems fine....springs and brake shoes were still ok). I don't also know if the whole hub now needs replacement or wheel bearing....

Any input is greatly appreciated guys...thanks!

tC8 10-27-2013 02:37 PM

BUMP....:frown: Anyone?

biglilsteve 10-27-2013 02:50 PM

I'm confused. How did you even manage to get the caliper off if the parking brake was engaged? If the parking brake was engaged, the rear pads should have been locked against the rotor making it impossible to remove the caliper and pads.

I changed my rear pads for the first time just a few weeks ago in my tC2. When I first put them on, there was a scraping noise until I applied the brakes once or twice while driving slowly. Then the rear pads settled into place and they have been silent ever since.

Maybe the rear brake configuration is different on my tC2 vs your tC1.

russiankid 10-27-2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve (Post 4130550)
I'm confused. How did you even manage to get the caliper off if the parking brake was engaged? If the parking brake was engaged, the rear pads should have been locked against the rotor making it impossible to remove the caliper and pads.

I changed my rear pads for the first time just a few weeks ago in my tC2. When I first put them on, there was a scraping noise until I applied the brakes once or twice while driving slowly. Then the rear pads settled into place and they have been silent ever since.

Maybe the rear brake configuration is different on my tC2 vs your tC1.

He has a tC1, and based on what he said the e-brake mechanism is inside the rotor which makes sense.

The scraping noise you're hearing is most likely the e-brake shoes rubbing on the inside of the rotor, and the noise goes away once they wear down enough to not touch the rotor. Adjust the e-brake shoes on both sides, you should be able to spin the rotor freely and only hear slight "scuff" noise from the e-brake shoes.

P.S. Steve, at what mileage did you do your brakes? I am at 32k and the pads still have 50%+ life left.

biglilsteve 10-27-2013 03:32 PM

Boom.

tC8 11-01-2013 05:51 AM

Finally found the problem! :icon_razz: It was the inner dust shield cover, not the outer big one, but the one that's hella hard to bend back. This dust shield is like a small plate where the ebrake system and shoes sits. It is behind the hub of the brake rotors. Anyway, what happened was that some of the sides were apparently touching the inner lip of the rear rotor hub. So I took a flat head, a hammer, and a hammered away to bend it back...AMAZINGLY, IT WORKED....NO MORE NOISE!!! And I thought it was the bearings...oh man, good thing I didn't get it done to this mechanic insisting the problem was coming from the bearings....

pbullis 01-07-2014 04:56 AM

When you install new brake pads, you're supposed to 'bed' them. You fund a straight, non busy road and speed up to 60 and apply the brakes real hard so that you stop as fast as possible without locking your wheels up. You do this 3-4 times. It sets your new brake pads in place and removes any film on the pads that causes a noise :)