Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/)
-   -   should i get the scion wheel locks (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/should-i-get-scion-wheel-locks-14798/)

maximus96 12-20-2004 09:32 PM

should i get the scion wheel locks

they're $59. should i get them or get the aftermarket ones? if so, please recommend a good set.

R3DLIN3_WHIT3 12-20-2004 09:49 PM

just get the scion ones...i have them and they are fine

worth the small amount of money

eugovector 12-20-2004 09:51 PM

Ummm, or give me the $60. I'll sell you a $10 set I can pick up at autozone any day of the week and put the other $40 in my pocket.

Originally Posted by R3DLIN3_WHIT3

ProjectD 12-20-2004 09:52 PM

Get them but don't get them from the dealer. You can usually find them for half the price online.

maximus96 12-20-2004 10:01 PM

is there a brand that i should look for?

Mediocre_Generica 12-20-2004 10:08 PM

I got some really nice ones that look EXACTLY like the Scion ones for $25 at autozone. Don't waste your money.

maximus96 12-20-2004 10:26 PM

does anybody know the thread size for the tC? i want to order a set from mcgard but dont know the size i need. thanks

lyrictenor1 12-20-2004 10:28 PM

I got toyota ones from the dealer (I think they're McGaurd) for about $35

mahalzkita28 12-21-2004 12:22 AM

if u are planing on getting after market rims dont get em, they probably wont fit becuase they have a weird washer around it

maximus96 12-21-2004 12:34 AM

I plan to stick with the stock rims, but want to get a set of locks so they wont be stolen easily.

vAnt 12-21-2004 12:50 AM

I don't understand the point of wheel locks.

If theives really want the rim, then a wheel lock will not stop them.

And unless you have an aftermarket rim I doubt anyone will be stealing a Scion tC stock rim anytime soon. (Not to mention it doesn't fit many cars... Limited to Toyota cars such as Corolla and Celica.)

Bam 12-21-2004 01:13 AM

If a theif wants them, he is going to have to really want them bad, because the McGards are pretty hard to defeat without the key and the theif would be spending alot more time then he'd want trying to remove them.

I have my wheel lock key hidden in a spot I can easily reach, but a theif would have to tear the car apart to find it and chance are he still won't.

The McGard wheel locks are a MUST.

the TC stock rims look pretty nice and actually fit MANY vehicles, even the WRX and Volkswagens.

and there is a certain ethnic group that will put anything on their cars, so....

mfbenson 12-21-2004 01:25 AM

I used to have a cheap set of aftermarket wheel locks. One serious problem with them is that the key deformed a little every time I used them, and one day it got so bad I couldn't get the lock off with it. After many swear words I went and bought a very small pipe wrench which fit on the outside of the the lock. Then I didn't have enough leverage to budge it with such a small wrench. After some more swearing I put a length of pipe over the handle of the wrench and got it off.

I swore off wheel locks after that experience. Although now that I have a decent set of rims again I would maybe buy a quality set. Don't go for the cheap ones, they are more trouble than they are worth.

onefunkyfreshdj 12-21-2004 02:50 AM

SCION LOCKS

Originally Posted by maximus96
is there a brand that i should look for?

goto www.trdsparks.com SCION Wheel locks for $15

spyderz9 12-21-2004 03:05 AM

Don't waste your money, nobody is going to steal stock scion wheels, thats just stupid.

CTTC 12-21-2004 03:49 AM

You'd think no one would steal the stock wheels, but in my area they were actually being stolen from tCs in the dealership lot! Two tCs were jacked up, put on milk crates (great idea) and the wheels stolen. Needless to say the milk crates did not hold and the cars came crashing down shortly after, causing further damage.

So, I've saved myself from that experience and got the McGard locks. Better safe than sorry. $39 (from the dealership) is well worth preventing the potential hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of damage because some knucklehead decides he likes my stock rims, and then doesn't even have the decency to put it up on blocks!

DJ_Rejected 12-21-2004 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by spyderz9
Don't waste your money, nobody is going to steal stock scion wheels, thats just stupid.

Come out here to Arizona. There is so much theft, I think there is a fact that says that 1,000 cars a day in the Phoenix area are either broken into, damaged or stolen. That's a lot of cars, and I think I was told one of the main reasons is so many illegal Mexicans coming over the border.

BSP_5c10n 12-21-2004 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by eugovector
Ummm, or give me the $60. I'll sell you a $10 set I can pick up at autozone any day of the week and put the other $40 in my pocket.

Originally Posted by R3DLIN3_WHIT3

What about the $10 of the $60 he gave you that you didn't use to buy the locks and put in your pocket? :roll:

maximus96 12-21-2004 06:27 AM

can somebody give me the thread size for the tC so i can order a set from McGard?

ikhonlord 12-21-2004 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by maximus96
can somebody give me the thread size for the tC so i can order a set from McGard?

Have you check this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=348

Maybe the information u are looking for is there...IDK... :roll: :D