Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

SUSPENSION FAQ! READ FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You must be the ultimate expert and me with my ASE in suspension and brakes is an idiot. Believe what ya wanna believe. Sorry for trying to help. I'm not going to ask the VP of our club all these questions and post just to prove something to you that I already know to be true. Ask the Pres of our club, he's a moderator on SL.

Sent from my Samsung Exhibit II 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

You have an ASE certification and you're rep'ing... Walmart?

Uh-huh... Try working at a real shop. Better yet, if you wanna talk about tC tech, try working on a dozen or so of them before you come in here and tell people that they don't know what they're talking about. I already have. I'm speaking from my personal experience with at least a dozen different tC's, and thousands of other cars. I've been a professional mechanic for almost 20 years. What I post isn't hearsay from something that somebody else said when somebody else worked on a car.

If you don't believe me, fine. Do some research right here on SL, or any other forum you want, and see how many people have been able to fit a 9.75" wide wheel on a tC without modifications; or how many people have had to add camber links, eccentric bolts, rolled fenders, etc... to get a flush stance.

Whatever. I'm done. My tC is in the process of being sold anyways, so I have no reason to ever again deal with the exorbitant number of d-bags that troll SL.

Good luck, everyone! If you listen to that guy, you'll need it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My ASE is from a prior job. Im a merchandise supervisor at my store. I make much more then a "tech" at Walmart.

Just sayin'

Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SUSPENSION FAQ! READ FIRST!-uploadfromtaptalk1344671164214.jpg

Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SUSPENSION FAQ! READ FIRST!-uploadfromtaptalk1344671202833.jpg

Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Un4Scene
I don't know what kind of car you're talking about, but my '06 tC didn't have any oblong mounting holes. It's quite possible to wallow those holes out to add some adjustment, but it would've been better to do that to the lower hole. There are many cars that come from the factory with the lower mounting holes in an ovoid shape, but an '06 tc is not one of them. It's also possible to install eccentric bolts in to round holes to gain some adjustment, but those are not stock.

On the rears, in the factory configuration there is only about 3.5 degrees of range. That means roughly -1.75 to +1.75. I've heard of a trick where you can invert one of the parts to add more range, but I have no use for it so I haven't tried it.

Here's a tip - let your friend come on here and explain what he has and hasn't done, what car it's on, and tell him to bring the full specs on these wheels, because you don't know what you're talking about. Perhaps if you could get some actual spec's and details about this car I could explain things better, but " A friend of mine was able to flush 9.75" wide wheels" doesn't mean a damn thing. I know for a fact that 9.75" wide wheels will not fit under a first generation tC without some modification... unless the wheels on this mystery car are <15" in diamater... or if the car is raised and/or boxed - that would certainly make it possible!
Ok, so back to this. ANY performance strut for a tC INCLUDING the TRD have oblong top holes. My TRD and my F&F struts do, and so have the other 3 sets I have worked on. I realize now that maybe the OEM one's aren't, but why would you try cambering on stock struts? I have never installed OEM struts on a tC, just ripped quite a few out. You can fit 9.75" wide wheels on a tC as a bunch of people on SL have the same wheels as my friend. I believe they are the only ones made in 17X9.75.

I just added some personal experience as you did and politely submitted those opinions. You started flaming. Nuff' said. I will stop following this thread now. If ya wanna work on stock tC's staying stock follow that guy. If ya wanna mod and improve your tC, stick with me. I'm out.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Un4Scene
. I've been a professional mechanic for almost 20 years.
LOL, you became a "professional mechanic" when you were 14? Oh, sorry you said almost. So it was 15 was it?