Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Vibration after installing new axles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Vibration after installing new axles

Hi all. I have a 2006 Scion tC with 115k miles on it and just replaced both the passenger and driver side axles due to them having the boots ripped and grease leaking out (typical for lowered cars). I also just installed new tires and got them balanced and aligned. I can feel slight vibrations between 20-25 mph when accelerating then it goes away. Prior to that, I have replaced the passenger side axles three times (free of charge due to warranty) and it used to vibrate between 20-25 mph, then 50-55 mph. From reading online and on this forum, this is typical from installing aftermarket axles and not OEM. My question is, how long can I really go with having the vibrations and not cause any damages to the car. I've already spent $700 from getting them installed and I would really hate to spend a lot more if I really need to install OEM axles to make the vibrations go away. Thanks fam.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:22 AM

Have you checked your wheel bearing? Jack your front end up and check for wheel movement while you try to move the tire left and right and up and down, not a bad idea to check tie rods while your at it.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:43 PM

If you have the same size tires and wheels, rotate them front to back and see if you still get the vibration, if its eliminated you know its in the tires or rims.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had this happened to me when my driver side boot got ripped. I bought an aftermarket one and my buddy help me installed it without the counter weight and the bastard would vibrate the car between like 10 - 20 mph from a dead stop. We took it off and switched it out with a new OEM cv axle I ordered from Sparks and it went away because it had a counter weight on it. The only way to have the aftermarket one not shake if it's calibrated for you're vehicle but literally no one has that specific tool at a shop to do so unless you're doing some custom high performance setups. I'd just switch it out with an OEM cv axle. IMHO somethings are better just kept original.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...LmpwZw==/?ref=