Tire Pressure Sensors/Monitor Everything Mods sticky please

Old 11-18-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Tire Pressure Sensors/Monitor Everything Mods sticky please

OK guys im gonna tell ya whats up with the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors

its a lil device that is linked directly to your car wirelessly.. the sensors is in the tire mounted against the rim.. it is the actual valve stem it self.. If you have a direct TPS.. these are found on all the newer scions ie 2007 and up.. Each one of these sensors have individual codes and need to be set up at a toyota dealership..Everone of these sensors are made out of steel and mounted through the valve stem hole..Easy way to spot the TPMS of each vechicle.. Metal = Direct Reading..Normal Rubber valve stem = ABS sensor

the older scions have the tire pressure sensor this is monitored through the ABS sensor.. these vechicles have the regular old rubber valve stem

I know and i have read i deal with these problems at work (Rahal Lexus) as far as many many customers comming in saying they have a lil orange light on in the dash.. its an Exclamation point inbetween 2 paranthesis.. If you are having problems with this light comming on here is the best thing to do weither it be the direct reading TPS or the one though the ABS sensor Heres the steps.. and heres what i do everytime at work.. many people dont know that the actual direct TPS need time to reset meaning the key need to be " ON " during the process and " ON " after for about 5 mins

Step 1
Turn the Ignition Switch to Key On Engine OFF

Step 2
Set all Tire Pressures to 30 PSI

Step 3
Inside the Car press and hold the reset button until it flashes 3 times and wait an addition 2 seconds while holding it..

Step 4
Direct TPS need time to see this change and time to initalize the system.. give them about 3 - 5 mins Make sure the key is still on. Some cars the TPS warning light may still be on..This is Normal, Do Step # 3 again

Step 5
After waiting some time for the system to initialize (direct TPS) if you have the regular TPS system u dont need to wait that alotted time

Step 6
Go around the vechicle and set all tires to Spec. 32-34.. or where ever you please

the light should be off and you are good to go.. I hope this write up helps some people with questions and or the know how on the TPS sensors.. if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me..
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Great info for newer tCs. Should be sticky.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

great info as well. sucks this is completely pointless to some. but nice find!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

I'm actually kinda glad its pointless for me. I would hate the hassle of of the sensor being on the rim itself.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hope this Image may help some of u guys out but this is a picture of what the 4 direct tire pressure sensors look like.. like i said guys..if u have any question just ask..

Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah yes
i remember screwing those out and putting them in my 18's
what a pain in the a$$
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that they are.. 11 mm deep wheel socket...
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

They are a pain.........so far mine have been reset twice since it got cold.........now that it is cold all the time they have stopped going off........but man what a pain........
Old 11-20-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

grrrrrrr what needs to be done exactly to remove them and transfer them?? Im going to run 18" ADR phantoms.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To give you a general idea...

Remove valve stem caps.
Unscrew them from the outside using a 11mm socket.
Remove metal washer from the outside.
Remove the valve stem / TMPS sensor unit.
Make sure they fit new rims.
Put them back together on the new rim.
Torque to 4+/-0.6Nm
Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 AM

Default aftermarket or pay through the nose for convenience

Am close to buying an '08 xb and this thread has me very discouraged.
I wanted to buy some aftermarket wheels for about $400 cheaper than Toyota's stock upgrade, but after reading this thread, I am wondering if the labor and hassle involved in getting the sensors transferred would destroy any potential savings. Would you say that is true or could the sensors in the steel wheels be transferred to the aftermarket alloys without too much problem/expense?
thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its easier to have 2 sets of wheels and 2 sets of sensors.. thus makin it easier.. then having to break down the wheels each time u want to swap them..
Old 12-08-2007, 07:24 AM

that's what I figured. I even called a Tirerack.com "recommended installer" and he said that factory sensors don't fit well in aftermarket rims and that I would probably have to spend $400-$500 on new aftermarket sensors as well.
This whole issue is so irritating. I can only imagine how the small business owners feel who are being screwed by this unnecessary new technology.
The uniquely fitting factory sensors and the way you cannot simply disable the light seems like a thinly veiled attempt by Toyota to force their overpriced factory rim upgrade. Pushing antitrust laws?
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well that guy is wrong we put sensors in all different types of wheels.. Ie MOMO.. Motegi..American Racing..Boyd Coddington..Just to name a few.. and after market sensors WILL NOT work with toyota's TPMS..
Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well i tried this and my sensor light is still on, i swapped wheels with a friend and we both have the same system. the owners manual says that the controller can only read sensors that are coded to that controller. is this true? if so would i need to get my sensors out and swap them or would it be easier to swap the box that recieves the singal. both of our lights are on and we have both tried holding the reset button but it still blinks for about a min then just stays on
Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that is correct they sensors are directly linked to the sensors that came on ur car.. if the light is flashing and then going solid u need to reset the pressures. set the tires to 30 psi. then press and hold the reset button until the tire light flashes 3 times... (it should still be on solid) then do it again press and hold the button again until it flashes 3 more additional times.. and let it sit for maybe 3 mins with the key on.. the light should still be on solid but after the 3 mins it should be off.. after the 3 mins set all tire pressures to 34 PSI.. and it should go off.. if not you tripped a DTC on the Tire pressure system.. hence why the light will not go off (odds are u tripped the DTC when u swapped wheels since the system didn't see any of ur tires/tire pressure.. so it trips a code
Old 12-13-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16
that is correct they sensors are directly linked to the sensors that came on ur car.. if the light is flashing and then going solid u need to reset the pressures. set the tires to 30 psi. then press and hold the reset button until the tire light flashes 3 times... (it should still be on solid) then do it again press and hold the button again until it flashes 3 more additional times.. and let it sit for maybe 3 mins with the key on.. the light should still be on solid but after the 3 mins it should be off.. after the 3 mins set all tire pressures to 34 PSI.. and it should go off.. if not you tripped a DTC on the Tire pressure system.. hence why the light will not go off (odds are u tripped the DTC when u swapped wheels since the system didn't see any of ur tires/tire pressure.. so it trips a code
I'll be picking up an '08 xB this Spring (keeping my Wrangler through one more glorious Winter of 4WD, then selling it when it can get top dollar...clean and topless). I was planning on getting aftermarket wheels. How will this work? I'll be going from the stock 16's to 17's, probably, and I'm guessing the optimum pressure might change ( know it did when I put 31's on my Jeep).

So it sounds like you're saying that the stock sensors will work with many aftermarket rims, any way to tell for sure? Also, can the psi range be reset if need be?

Thanks for the good information above and any other help you can give!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well i cant get it to blink 3 times, no matter how long i hold the button the light blinks for about a min (30 times) then stays solid. ill try it again but it looks like i need to swap sensors or the box to make it work right. holding the button works when the light comes on and you need it off with the orginal sensors in play, but since mine are from a different car, it just wont read, ill give it another shoot when it quits raining and let you know how it went, thanks again
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by spike443
Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16
I'll be picking up an '08 xB this Spring (keeping my Wrangler through one more glorious Winter of 4WD, then selling it when it can get top dollar...clean and topless). I was planning on getting aftermarket wheels. How will this work? I'll be going from the stock 16's to 17's, probably, and I'm guessing the optimum pressure might change ( know it did when I put 31's on my Jeep).

So it sounds like you're saying that the stock sensors will work with many aftermarket rims, any way to tell for sure? Also, can the psi range be reset if need be?

Thanks for the good information above and any other help you can give!
the valve stems are the sensors.. when u order the wheels just ask them if u can use tire pressure sensors for the wheel u have chosen they should be able to tell you if there compatiable or not..but i have yet to find a wheel that wasn't compatible with the sensors.. yes u can set the pressures where ever ud like.. i personally set them at 30 PSI and initiazle the system 2 times one to clear the old settings and another one to set the new.. with the pressures at 30 and the system initalized this sets the threseholds at about 23 or 24 psi.. which whenever a tire would reach that pressure the light would come on.. but after i see thats where the pressure are i just set all tires to spec.. usually winter 34 psi and summer 32 psi..

thank you
Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by weeloTC
well i cant get it to blink 3 times, no matter how long i hold the button the light blinks for about a min (30 times) then stays solid. ill try it again but it looks like i need to swap sensors or the box to make it work right. holding the button works when the light comes on and you need it off with the orginal sensors in play, but since mine are from a different car, it just wont read, ill give it another shoot when it quits raining and let you know how it went, thanks again
are u letting the key on?.. u need to press and hold the button the entire time.. are you waiting until the light goes solid before pressing and holding the reset button down..but if u have the wrong wheels that didn't come on ur car it will not reset.. u need ur wheels to do.. like i said odds are you set a DTC on the tps system since u did that the light will never go off until the clear the code.. to do that u need a tech stream ( ie a toyota only computer at a dealership) sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors/Monitor Everything Mods sticky please