Notices

I'm ____ed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default I'm ____ed...

So, about a week ago, my dad (who drives a Rav4) went to the dealership to get the mud-flaps put on the car. He talked to the salesman that sold me my tc and the salesman mentioned that he was trying to get rid of a set of the TRD 18" wheels (they have em on trdsparks), and that he could sell them to me for 500, with yokohoma paradas and installation. He also claimed that they would fit an 07 tc. Being that I'm in college an hour and a half a way, he put down the money for me and I was going to sell the stock wheels/tires to make up for it.

Anyway, dropped the car off by the dealership today to get the wheels mounted, and after they had it for about 6 hours...those damned valve-stems wouldn't fit the wheel. Of course, I was highly ____ed after spending the entire week waiting to get my wheels. But, dad wanted his money back (which I thought wasn't smart since I could turn around and sell the wheels and tires for more than 500), and I'm left with my stock wheels.

But it just seems a little odd that these valve stem things wouldn't fit a TRD wheel. How the hell are people supposed to be able to get aftermarket wheels?

A little more background, dad rode with me to the dealership since he was there for the initial purchase. The service manager told us we needed to pay for the labor and dad replied that the price included the labor. The service guy didn't seem to pleased but said he'd take care of it.

After all this, it just seems fishy...I talked to one of my buddies and he seems to think I'm getting ____ on because they didn't want disassemble 8 wheels to transfer the valve-stems over.

Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i got the trd 18's and the valve stems from yokohamas fits perfectly man in fact thats the tires that i got too but not till wed i jus boight some kumho ecsta spt
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should have kept the rims and sell them those thing go for about 1600 from the dealer you can get bout 1400 somewhere else since they are new
Old 02-04-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is just a little fishy.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe the worker didnt want to do it for so little or he found out he can sell them for more iono but you should get your money back if they dont give you the wheels
Old 02-04-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it might be the trd 18s are from an 06 model. something about the tire pressure monitor things are different between the 06 and 07, so im guessing thats why the valve stems won't fit.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahh i didnt think about that man mine is an 05 so maybe ^ is right
Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant be because rims are rims you can put the 07 tpm on any rim you just have to make sure the place knows that the car has rim mounted tmps, which the dealer obviously should know. Guess its just another case of a shady dealership.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The valve stems arent anything special in our cars. If I remember correctly, the low tire pressure is monitored by differences in revolutions between the wheels. A low tire would essentially have a lower effective diameter and therefore make more revolutions at any given speed than a tire full of air.

Which is why we can run aftermarket rims/tires from anywhere without problems.

I'd guess either they didnt have the proper valve stems in stock, or decided they couldnt sell them to you that cheap.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 07 tC's have an actual Tire Pressure monitor on the valve stem.. unlike the 05-06 which was triggered by the ABS system.

they fit some aftermarket wheels, just not some. you dont necessarily need them on your car, you will just have the tpms light on all the time. doesnt bother to much. just check your tire pressure yourself
Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
the 07 tC's have an actual Tire Pressure monitor on the valve stem.. unlike the 05-06 which was triggered by the ABS system.

they fit some aftermarket wheels, just not some. you dont necessarily need them on your car, you will just have the tpms light on all the time. doesnt bother to much. just check your tire pressure yourself
Well damn, look at that fancy new technology I don't have on my '05. Guess its time to toss my VCR too
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha.. i wish they kept the abs monitors instead.

anyways.. all cars will soon have TPMS on the valve stems
Old 02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

damn, 6 hrs trying to mount them and then they realized they didnt fit?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
Well, I think that the fact that they were busy as hell didn't help. Although the technician said he had been working on it for four hours trying to make it work.

The guy also said he wouldn't mount them without the TPMS stems..but in hindsight, I could've got the wheels and drove over to some other shop and had someone else do it.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gatlin86
Well, I think that the fact that they were busy as hell didn't help. Although the technician said he had been working on it for four hours trying to make it work.

The guy also said he wouldn't mount them without the TPMS stems..but in hindsight, I could've got the wheels and drove over to some other shop and had someone else do it.
They're idiots, TPMS will NOT fit on 18" wheels, and it is perfectly legal to leave them off if they do not fit (of course you lose the functionality).
Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talk about Relying on Daddy for everything...Geesh...U be lost w/o your Dad eh???...lol..Jus Mess'in..
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Talk about Relying on Daddy for everything...Geesh...U be lost w/o your Dad eh???...lol..Jus Mess'in..
I know you're just "mess'in," but let me make this clear. I go to school 1.5 hours away from home and the dealership I was dealing with. Dad went up to get mud guards on his RAV4 and was told about the deal. Being that he was there and I was not, he put down the money on the wheels for me. I was going to sell my stock wheels and tires to pay him back. Although I could've paid him back without selling the stock wheels and tires, I just had no reason to keep them.

Should I have made the 3 hour round trip myself just to pay for the wheels and tires?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steve27
Originally Posted by gatlin86

They're idiots, TPMS will NOT fit on 18" wheels, and it is perfectly legal to leave them off if they do not fit (of course you lose the functionality).
Is this true? our stock TPMS doesn't fit on 18" wheels?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 AM
SL Member

TPM's do fit 18" wheels. I have the 18" Enkei's on my '07 BSP TC with the TPM's on. As far as them fitting all 18" wheels, thats another story. I would go to another dealer or dhop and get their opinion.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
SL Member

i hope it works with other 18" wheels cause i want to get some here soon

Quick Reply: I'm ____ed...