Notices

Long road trips + stretched tires = ???!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question Long road trips + stretched tires = ???!!!

How long have you guys been on a road trip on stretched tires? I'm currently running 225/40/18 on 18x9.5 +38. They are pretty stretched but the kicker is that I'll be driving back and forth from NC to TX. I've driven pretty low state to state but not with stretched tires. I know LA has some of the most jacked up highway roads there, especially in Shreveport. I remember I had to drive literally 30-35mph on my setup because of the uneven blocked pavement when they constructed the highway. Any insight for a safe ride would be welcome.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well I made the trip these past couple of days back to TX on my stretched setup. It was scary at times but really not bad at all. Just got to becareful of the potholes and poorly constructed highway roads in some cities and states. Shreveport, LA and Jackson, MS are by far one of the worse areas ever to drive if traveling on I-20. Honestly who ever authorized for the contractors to build those sections and the contractors who built it themselves need to be fired immediately. As soon as I cross the TX, LA state line....omg it was a night and day difference on road quality. Here in Texas we take care of our roads. Other than that just make sure your fenders are flared or rolled, have the correct PSI in your tires, stiffen up the suspension if you can and be careful of the hazards on the travel.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to see you survived. I'll be transitioning to a setup like that within the month. Just curious, what tires are you running?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I forgot which ones they are but they are Falkens. All I know is that they are discontinued but Discount Tire still has some in stock but not sure now because that was a few months back.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Did my second road trip again (NC to TX, TX to NC). I swear these roads are getting worse and worse. No issues once again. I need to check my wheels to make sure the inner lips are not cracked from all the dips and bumps on the road. I need to re-balance my tires again because I can feel slight vibrations like driving over mini speed bump markers. Tires are okay but I think I'll replace them after the next 10K miles.