Notices

Mysterious ticking noise coming from Passenger Rear Wheel..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Mysterious ticking noise coming from Passenger Rear Wheel..

I have a 2006 Scion tC. Everything stock on the wheels and suspension. Over the last two or three months I've been driving to my commutes like normal but I hear this ticking noise coming from the back passenger wheel or trunk area in general. I've looked at other forums but can't find a definite answer. It sounds like every time the wheel turns there's this tick. The faster I accelerate the more frequent it becomes. I can't tell what it is exactly. I've checked for debris or any body work that's been exposed hanging under the wheel arches and body but there's none. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet. I'll try and post a video on it. It's loud in the interior but even louder if I have the windows down or the sun roof open.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-17-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be a worn bearing or incorrect hand brake shoe clearance. Could also be a bad rotor and or worn brake pads.

The bad rotor possibility might require a dial indicator and brake lathe. Your mechanic probably has these or knows someone who does. The rest you could probably manage yourself, if you're interested. The bearing is a bolt on repair. The hand brake is likely no more than inspection, cleaning and star-nut adjustment. Worn brake pads typically squeal so it's probably not worn brake pads. That said, the minimum pad thickness is 1mm. Anything close to 1mm should probably be replaced.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it increases with speed, it's likely something rotational, like 62 said, check the brake setup, but also do a onceover on the tire tread itself to see if you've picked up any nails or rocks and clean them out of your treads. On cars without much sound deadening sometimes something in the tread is the whole issue.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might be worth replacing the shoe-pin springs which when weak may cause the hand brake shoes to click against the back plate.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 PM

I apperciate the feed back. Just checked the tire tread and theres no debris there. I can't post the video here because of the format but something I forgot to mention was that it starts after about 10 minutes of driving. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing noise to me. I'll check the brakes and shoe pins in the next day or two.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh, yeah if it doesn't do it 100% of the time you can rule the tire out. That's pointing me more towards a brake issue as the brakes will have built up heat by then and there's really thing else back there that would be a rotational sound.