Notices

New tires and rims

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New tires and rims

ok so i need new tires because my boyfriend hit a curb or something when he wat driving my car and there is a little ***** missing out of the right front and right back tire and a lot of curb rash on the rims... i have my eye on 4 stock rims that are in descent shape for 100 bucks for all 4... he says there is some curb rash on them but it does not seem as bad as mine.... also i founs a place that installs and sells low pro tires but i am not sure if this is a good price or if these will fit.. here is the link to the CL ad. http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ptd/2963111217.html please let me know and if you have suggestions on other places in the tampa bay area ... thank you
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be very careful with that seller. Make sure he's advertising right. In the picture, the OEM sticker on the tire indicates they are 16" tires, not 17". I'd consider it an honest typo, but he has the wrong information consistently all over his ad.

Are the stock wheels you're considering buying 16" steel wheels or the upgraded 17" alloy wheels from Scion? The tires in that craigslist ad you referenced are for 16" wheels, according to the sticker on the tire.

You might also want to evaluate whether or not you want Z rated tires. They're for performance and consequently are hard, which means you'll lose a lot of cushion and comfort. Road noise will be transmitted into your cabin dramatically more than a softer tire (e.g., potholes). If you want a close to stock comfortable ride, you'll want H rated tires. H rated tires are cheap in 16s and 17s as long as they're in common sizes (e.g., 205/55/16). Plus, they still handle well on four bangers.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the tires I have now are stock so they are 16s right ??
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll have to forgive me, I'm thinking about my xB too much here. MY car comes stock with 16" wheels. Yours does not.

Your tC comes standard with 17" wheels and tires from the factory.

These are your current wheels that your boyfriend scratched up, right?:

If so, you have 17" wheels. Which means you need 17" tires. Are the wheels you're trying to buy stock Scion tC wheels? If so, they will be 17"... which means the tires in your Craigslist ad post will NOT work the way you want it to, as they are for 16" wheels only.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
You'll have to forgive me, I'm thinking about my xB too much here. MY car comes stock with 16" wheels. Yours does not.

Your tC comes standard with 17" wheels and tires from the factory.

These are your current wheels that your boyfriend scratched up, right?:

If so, you have 17" wheels. Which means you need 17" tires. Are the wheels you're trying to buy stock Scion tC wheels? If so, they will be 17"... which means the tires in your Craigslist ad post will NOT work the way you want it to, as they are for 16" wheels only.
Yes they are lol... Thank you for the info....
Do you know where I can get inexpensive tires for my car?? I live in pinellas county Florida
Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STay away from NEXEN..CRappy tires.

I recommend Hankook V12 EVO or Falken 912 tires.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle

^ Agreed. Stay away from Chinese knock-off tires like Wanli, too.

@tCJennyfer88: I live in Duval County in Jacksonville, FL, so I don't know any tire places down there. You're on a budget, so be careful with what tires you do go with. I'm after comfort, but I'm on 18s, so I don't have many options. Luckily for you, you're on 17" tires, and therefore have a meatier tire to work with (more sidewall/taller tires = more comfort and less road noise going into the cabin).

As I recommended earlier, you might want to consider getting an H-rated 17" tire. They're much softer and more comfortable than a 17" Z tire, and they still handle good. Basically Z tires are harder, but they give you better handling on the roads. H is a good middle ground for comfort and handling. (Tire ratings are "speed" ratings. The closer to Z, the sportier the tire; ergo, handles much higher speeds at an increased longevity. This is at the expense of comfort and road noise reduction).

With that said, remember that tires are a VERY important purchase. They're what keep you safe when you're driving in the rain, and they certainly make the difference in times when you need to slam on your brakes to avoid a collision. This is one purchase you can't skimp out on: You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, but don't look for the cheapest tire or you might regret it. If you want to go with comfort, look for Touring H-rated tires. If you want a middle ground between comfort and handling, look for All Season H-rated tires.

Hankook and Kumho are very popular tire brands you can go with. Many drivers of tuner cars like us use them with great results. I use Kumho Ecsta tires on my 18" wheels. You might want to look into General and Continental. Read tire reviews too.

Here are my recommendations to give you an idea of a good middle ground in between comfort and handling:

1. First qualification: H rated for comfortable, smooth ride
2. Find a brick and mortar store with good tire warranties included as well as free mounting. They do exist. Sometimes they even come with rebates! My Kumho Ecsta tires I bought from Discount Tire came with a $100 Visa gift card rebate. The choice was obvious.

3. Make your boyfriend pony up for messing up your wheels!!! And don't give me that "I love him!" crap, if he really does, he better shell out some dough!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

3. Make your boyfriend pony up for messing up your wheels!!! And don't give me that "I love him!" crap, if he really does, he better shell out some dough! [/QUOTE]

Yeah right... He barely wants to pay for this huge scratch and dent that he did...

Top left back window next to skull
Attached Thumbnails New tires and rims-uploadfromtaptalk1334717293905.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What??!! Oh that's horrible. That punk better not drive your baby again.

I think you literally have an ARMY of Scion lovers on ScionLife who would love to kick his @55 for that! lol
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
What??!! Oh that's horrible. That punk better not drive your baby again.

I think you literally have an ARMY of Scion lovers on ScionLife who would love to kick his @55 for that! lol
Lol... Yeah I want to but he doesn't think he did it ...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Oh dear. You should replicate the same damage to his vehicle. Ha ha. See how he feels when you say "I didn't do it".
Old 04-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle

+1 for both of these, great price and a great tire.

I paid 400 for a set of falken 912 225/40/18 wich is bigger than stock so stocks should be a little cheaper. I think stock was 215/45/17?

The Hankooks are also a nice tire and a good price.

Both do well in the rain, and awesome on dry roads, not noisy, and pretty comfortable.

Ohh and 1 more thing, dont let that kid back in your car ever, he is obviously oblivious to his surroundings and needs to be walking for a while.