Notices

Only front or both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Only front or both?

So my e-brake lamp comes on when hit the gas and asked my auto mechanic and he tells me I need new brake pads.

I'm thinking of going with Hawk HPS and when I search I see a lot of them sell front only. Do I need need both front & rear or just front?

http://tinyurl.com/bfn54nq
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the rear brakes really do not stop the car. no real need to upgrade them from stock unless you feel like wasting money.

the front brakes are what you should invest in.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear brakes do help the car stop, front brakes don't take 100% of the load, that would be awful. The front takes 60%-70% percent of the load, and the rear take the other 30-40%. So why would you just replace the front? The rear helps with the weight transfer required for the friction to take place in-between the tires and the road. Bad tires can also affect braking force. Have you studied low COF pads versus high COF pads? Then there are also many different materials used in the pads. The hawk HPS pads are going to be high Coefficient of Friction, which means they will GRAB onto your rotors, if you're switching from OEM you will notice a difference in the feel of your brakes. They will be much, much harder when you press down on them. Sport pads are designed to stay at a constant temperature, so that you will have minimal brake fad. So if you get on your brakes hard, you won't have to wait for them to cool down, and continue thrashing your rotors.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
the rear brakes really do not stop the car. no real need to upgrade them from stock unless you feel like wasting money.

the front brakes are what you should invest in.
Thanks for the input man. I was just at my mechanic's shop and he told me that for now, I only need fronts. He'd told me fronts brake 70% and rear 30%.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by guitarman93
The rear brakes do help the car stop, front brakes don't take 100% of the load, that would be awful. The front takes 60%-70% percent of the load, and the rear take the other 30-40%. So why would you just replace the front? The rear helps with the weight transfer required for the friction to take place in-between the tires and the road. Bad tires can also affect braking force. Have you studied low COF pads versus high COF pads? Then there are also many different materials used in the pads. The hawk HPS pads are going to be high Coefficient of Friction, which means they will GRAB onto your rotors, if you're switching from OEM you will notice a difference in the feel of your brakes. They will be much, much harder when you press down on them. Sport pads are designed to stay at a constant temperature, so that you will have minimal brake fad. So if you get on your brakes hard, you won't have to wait for them to cool down, and continue thrashing your rotors.
So if I were to replace just fronts for now, would you recommend the Hawk HPS pads? Or another brand? When I drove my brother's Altima, and hit the brakes lightly, it broke hard. I prefer tCs OEM because it's more subtle.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem, had no idea what it was! It just got to the point where I needed new brakes and after installation it never happened again lol, so i guess that fixed it.