Notices

Stock Rim/Tire Damage Question! PICS INSIDE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock Rim/Tire Damage Question! PICS INSIDE!

UPDATE! 2/7/2010

So i took everyone's advice on here and luckily found a used rim on craigslist. Looks brand new! no scratches or curb-rash at all. i got it for $135.00. not sure if it was a good deal, but there was no one else just selling one rim. so i just took it. here's a pic of the rim. I'm heading back to the tire shop to get my new tire put on by Monday. thanks again for everyone's input. i was really unsure on what i should do.

2/3/2010
So basically, it was raining nonstop here in socal a couple weeks ago and after all that rain, for some reason it left lots of HUGE potholes in the freeways and streets. And lucky me, while driving down the freeway about 65-70mph i accidentally hit a really big pot hole on my front passenger tire/rim. i didn't think it did anything to my tire/rim but maybe scratch it, but i just noticed recently that my alignment felt a bit off and now the ride isn't smooth at all. I just got the Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires installed on my car about a week before this happend, and now the place that i got the tires from said i need to get a new tire.

What do you think i should do?
Get a new tire and maybe a used rim? OR keep my old rim and just buy a new tire? Get the rim repaired (not sure if its repairable or if there's even places in socal that do that kind of thing) then get a new tire?

Here are some pics..

Last edited by JaN_MiChAeL_07; 02-07-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd buy a new rim and a new tire. You definitely need a new tire, but if you cant afford the new rim, just rotate it to the right rear, at least there you won't feel it so much.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Deff need a new rim and tire
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm...not to thread jack but has anyone changed there tire sensor? I recently went to a tire place because my tires were losing air. It turns out that the tire sensor has a leak or crack...so whats the solution?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what basebllstar said
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
Hmm...not to thread jack but has anyone changed there tire sensor? I recently went to a tire place because my tires were losing air. It turns out that the tire sensor has a leak or crack...so whats the solution?

The wheel sensor is the valve stem. If it's leaking id suggest trying a new valve core... sometimes they are replaced with the wrong type or something. But if that can't be repaired your going to have to find another sensor either used or the dealership and have it installed/programmed. Or you could just say F*** it and put in a regular valve stem and live with the light on the dash.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

From the pics you have here... It doesnt look like the rim is cracked. It might be able to be repaired. The damage to that rim doesn't look too bad to me. Of course Im not seeing it in person. A good wheel/tire shop would be able to tell you if it can be repaired and is cheaper/better to do so then buying a new wheel.
The tire should be replaced. That buckle you see in it is from the belts of the sidewall of the tire being damaged. Weak points like this if left on the car can significantly increase the chance of a "blow-out". You could keep it as a backup emergency spare sense the tread is practically new. But I wouldnt trust it for highway driving or for a long period of time. But it could save ya in a pinch if you get an unrepairable flat and you've got to wait til pay day to buy a new one.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

the "bend" is only part of the rim, you have to see if it is warped or out of round, if the wheel still rolls straight, your good to go (if the bend doesnt bother you)

but the tire is toast! replace that at least!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhhhhh. ok thanks for the advice guys. i really need to find a new rim ASAP i wanna get my new tire on already. im paranoid when i drive now!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rim doesnt look too bent out of shape. as for the tire, get it replaced under your road hazard warranty.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same thing happened to me here in western pa...But my rim is fine just had that "egg" "bulge" thing in the tire. Left it there....it was on the rear....and drove it till I bought all four new tires. Happened only a month after I got the tires and the dealer wouldnt do a thing about it. But say i needed to buy another one. I said "psssh". And left it on. Didnt cause me any problems. But you my friend may need a new rim. Tire will probably last if you rotate to the rear. Thats if you dont wanna buy a new tire like me.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a bend that's around the same magnitude as that on one of my 5Zigens, mine may be slightly worse. It holds air (if it didn't hold air, I think I would replace my wheel), and drives perfectly so I think it's fine. I even autocross on it and it seems fine. But that's the rim, and it MAY be okay if it holds air.

But then again, I don't have that gnarly bulge in the sidewall so I don't know. The tire may be a different story. That bulge makes me nervous that it's going to blow out In my opinion, I would be careful with that tire...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just replace the rim and tire

Can you utilize the tire sensors with aftermarket rims?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would replace the rim and tire, the rim because that bend in the rim could cause slow leaks and the tire is junk. you might want to get the car up on a lift and get the front end checked out if you feel your car is misaligned bc you might of bent something. then of course get an alignment.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^UPDATE! look at first post.