Notices

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Kumho Ecsta 4x

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Kumho Ecsta 4x

My Yokohama Avid Envigors are shot, great handling but very loud. Looked at the Yoko YK580 but reports are coming back that noise is an issue.

I commute 66 miles daily so noise and ride is a factor for me. I live in Reno/Sparks area. Right next to the Sierra Mountains (Lake Tahoe) and snow happens here.

Narrowing the tire down to a couple - maybe more.

Looking at the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Kumho Ecsta 4x

Lots of reviews on the Kumho. Many review as a nice quiet ride with great grip and performance. Around $450 shipped.

Mileage
Warranty
40,000 Miles Treadwear 420 Traction A Temperature A

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus, not many reviews on these, but seeing them firsthand, they have very deep channels and look sportier and maybe a little louder?
About $480 shipped.
Tire Size: 215/45R17 91W XL Service Description: 91W UTQG: 560 A A Mileage Warranty: 50000 miles

Thoughts?

Last edited by shortnugly; 12-07-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

We sell both of these and have honestly gotten good reviews out of both. The Toyo does start with a slightly deeper tread and also has a longer mileage warranty. But the Kumho is an excellent tire as well. With the tread patterns, I'd say the Kumho would edge the Toyo out in snow traction. Granted both are all season and not full snow tires. If you need any more help, feel free to give us a call.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Anyone rode on these?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 AM

Well, I bought the Proxes. I'll follow up with a review soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shortnugly
Well, I bought the Proxes. I'll follow up with a review soon.

We are always looking for end user reviews on tires as well. Look forward to your review.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM

I called the number you posted and couldn't get a deal on those Proxes.

I mentioned your post and wanting to get a solid review on the tires.

Ended up paying full price.... Ouch.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Now I'll tell our side of the story. Normally these tires are $486 for a set, we gave you the $50 instant rebate we have on these right now and on top of that you asked us to do them for $400. At the $436 price you paid, we only made 2.3% on the whole order. The credit card company charges us 3% to process the transaction meaning it actually COST us money to sell you those tires... Ouch... But we do appreciate your business.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Easy there bronco. Don't get all bent out of shape.

Just thought there would be a deal through the forums, that's all.

Competition is pretty fierce out there, expect shoppers to try and get the best deal. Don't get offended when they try.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't blame anybody for trying to get a deal. Times are tough for everybody right now. I just want people to know that we did give you the best deal we could. We really do appreciate your business and I don't want you to think otherwise, but you need to know why we wouldn't do them for the price you wanted.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thanks to economy people try to go for tires for least amount as possible as tires can be pricey depending on what you want (also see a trend going on many forums of those who spenda couple thousand on wheels but want to skimp n get cheappest tires possible). let me know how you like the proxes. i'm between a set of them, kumho and nexens as i've worn through my last 2 sets of falkens too quickly doing long drives
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Just wanted to mention the customer service rep at Tread Depot was very nice, professional and did what he could do. Maybe you'll put together a group buy for the forum members?

That being said, these are probably not the last set I'll be buying from them. I'll also be shopping for some summer tires. Considering the Ecsta LE sports.

It's all just a game.

Looking forward to slapping these new Proxes on. Lot of good reviews on the Ecsta 4x but could find very little on the new 4 Plus. Looks to be a radically different tread design than the regular Proxes 4. Decided on the 4 plus based on seeing them first hand. Very deep tread channels and somewhat insulated outer blocks that may reduce the noise significantly.

They have big shoes to fill as my Yoko Avid Envigors were a blast. Short-lived but way fun. I posted a review and pics on the sticky thread.

It just started snowing in the Reno/Tahoe area. I have my Dunlop snow tires on and just drove through the years first snow. I'll swap out for the new Proxes on the next dry stretch we anticipate. Woohoo!