Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Backup camera – here is my setup.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Backup camera – here is my setup.

I’ve got the Scion Navigation System 200 (SNS200) HU new with my tC. One of the options/functions/inputs is a backup camera. Does anybody got that up and working? What camera did you use? Does is automatically come on when you go into reverse? I’m considering activating this function and looking/fishing for information. What do I need?

Thanks!

Last edited by 2tCornot2tC; 05-30-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tagging for later, totally want to get a backup camera on mine as well, most likely going with an aftermarket HU & camera... just have to find out where to mount it.

Curious about the hook-up on the SNS200, I would think there should be instructions around for the pinouts?

Wonder if any of the other toyota cameras work, like for the camry or FJ or whatnot....
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a backup camera (nor plan on installing one)...but I did notice when I was installing my aftermarket HU, which is backup camera ready, that there is a wire that has a tag on it that says "reverse"...the Scion Nav System probably has it too

Anyways, out of curiosity I looked up that wire in the manual and it said that that wire is for sensing when the car is in reverse.

So just a guess, but installation will probably be camera to module/relay/wires or whatever it comes with to RCA or AUX + tap into the "reverse" wire

also, being in other cars that have reverse cameras, the camera is triggered automatically when the car is put into reverse
Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the Scion Navi unit is Pioneer, right? You may want to try the Pioneer BC2 camera (I think that's the name). I have one that came with my Z-2 unit and I love it!! They might hook up the same way. Just a thought.

I've got it 'hidden' behind my rear garnish. A buddy of mine created a keyhole in my shaved garnish to make it look factory!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by karatekidd
I believe the Scion Navi unit is Pioneer, right? You may want to try the Pioneer BC2 camera (I think that's the name). I have one that came with my Z-2 unit and I love it!! They might hook up the same way. Just a thought.

I've got it 'hidden' behind my rear garnish. A buddy of mine created a keyhole in my shaved garnish to make it look factory!
Could you post a pic of how it looks like from the outside? I was thinking of doing something similar.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 AM

i also have the alpine sns 200 unit and also thinking about doing this.
been doing a lot of research, there is a post on here i think it was from an 2011 xb but its the same unit removed and the rear view shows there is a single video yellow rca cable on the back of the unit ready for input from a camera, so probably any camera would work. i asked the local dealer and they quoted some absurd price of $400+ for parts and labor using the pioneer camera stuff from optomize scion.

but i was thinking about getting this as a cheaper solution

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCMAUDI-Vehicle-Specific-Infrared/dp/tech-data/B003CN5NXQ/ref=de_a_smtd http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCMAUDI-Vehicle-Specific-Infrared/dp/tech-data/B003CN5NXQ/ref=de_a_smtd

i was thinking about mounting it in the gaps under the trunk handle to make it flush as possible, only problem with that is you have to run the cabling up the top of hatch interior to rubber connector then through there along the roof down the qtr interior trim then along the sill under the front passenger. also any camera needs power of course so you have to tap that somewhere either to lights, or preferably the reverse light requiring more wire running.

this might avoid having to run some wires all along the interior

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016M57D6/sr=1-11/qid=1304092238/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1304092238&sr=1-11&seller= http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016M57D6/sr=1-11/qid=1304092238/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1304092238&sr=1-11&seller=

but i have been to lazy to try this out so if you do get one im curious what setup you get.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

I was looking at these cameras...

http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl425.html

http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl420c.html

http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl422c.html

I passed this list to a friend of mine, he builds drones for our militery, and he told me, don't mount that crap on your car, I've got boxes of cameras in my garage...he'll be back on Monday...we'll see.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

OK…I finally got a backup camera and installed it. I wound up getting an MCC-420BL camera. It has a higher definition than the ones that you can get for a typical backup camera. A typical backup camera only has 380 TV lines and this one has 420. This is a miniature spy camera…
http://www.polarisusa.com/product/472/mcc-420bl
and this is what it looks like installed. It is not quite flush because the camera is just a little too large for that space…but that is the largest space on the hatchback door.

I got this cable http://www.polarisusa.com/product/912/rg-59tl-25blk and routed it through the existing feed throughs in the hatchback and the roof. I fed the cable in the headliner along the antenna cable and down along the A-Pillar. I coiled the extra up and zip-tied it in the passenger foot well, behind and below the glove box.

The SNS200 has a backup camera input, so with this adapter, it plugged right in. http://www.polarisusa.com/product/288/bnc-02
This is what it looks like…

This is the whole dash…

I did not want to have the camera powered up all the time, so I got power for the camera from the backup light circuit. There is only one problem. If the camera is not powered up when the SNS200 boots up, it does not think that there is one installed. So, as soon as I start the car, you have to select it into reverse before the SNS200 boots up – and it has to be quite early in the boot cycle. The camera works at any time you put it into reverse after that. If you don’t put it into reverse in time, the SNS200 never displays the backup camera. I’ve got a reasonable work around, I’ll work on ironing this out some other time.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

That looks great! I'm sure you'll figure out a way around the back-up camera needing to be powered up when the SNS loads up.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting setup, I was just looking at that this weekend, were you able to fully disassemble the rear hatch in order to drill with the pieces off the car?

I ask as I'm hoping to get one setup under the lip, near the plate lights, angled down so you can see the lines of the parking space/cement stops/grass/etc etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Banned
SL Member

Yup…the interior panels pop straight off the inside of the hatch door and the hatch handle is unbolted with just 6 nuts.

I installed my camera between the hatch release switch and one of the license plate lights…it just barely fit. Not much room back there.

You will still need to run your wires up from the license plate bolts, up through the side of the license plate lights, behind the hatch handle and then drill a hole into the hatch door – put a grommet on the hole to protect the wires.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Follow-up questions!

Did you ever do any additional work on the getting the camera to power on when the SNS200 boots, to eliminate the work-around?

It's only been a month or so, but any issues with the MCC-420BL? Asking as I've seen many ads for 'backup cameras' and they all tout their waterproof-iness, wondering if the MCC-420BL would have any issues. It is in a sealed case so I would think no, but some of their other cameras are just exposed boards.

When you mounted the MCC-420BL, do you think you would have any options to tilt the camera down to get a better look at the rear of the car for backing into spots / seeing curbs / etc? I was thinking of putting a small shim at the base of the camera to let it point down a bit more, but since you've done the install, not sure how feasible that would be.

How difficult was wiring the power? Treat this as someone who has not done this before, the camera comes with a female 2.1mm barrel for power, and you ran it, how?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm about to click the BUY, and want to know what I'm looking at for this install.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Did you ever do any additional work on the getting the camera to power on when the SNS200 boots, to eliminate the work-around?

No…because I didn’t want the camera to be powered all the time. It’s not bad at all to throw it into reverse as soon you get the car fired up to get the camera to work. You only have to do this the first time you fire up the car…

When you mounted the MCC-420BL, do you think you would have any options to tilt the camera down to get a better look at the rear of the car for backing into spots / seeing curbs / etc? I was thinking of putting a small shim at the base of the camera to let it point down a bit more, but since you've done the install, not sure how feasible that would be.

No again…there is absolutely no room in there at all. In fact, my camera sticks out about 0.02-inches from flush because it hits the sheet metal of the hatch back. And it just fits between the handle and license plate light. It is a wide angle lens…so I don’t think that you will need to.

How difficult was wiring the power? Treat this as someone who has not done this before, the camera comes with a female 2.1mm barrel for power, and you ran it, how?

There is a small bundle of wire that goes through the firewall in the top left corner. I got a female 2.1-mm receptacle from Radio Shack and I wired it to that bundle and ran the ground to that same area, right to the chassis. I wanted to keep that 25-foot cable original since it had very nice ends. I coiled up the excess in the right foot well behind the kick panels…there was about 6-feet extra.

The easy way out is to just power it off the cigarette lighter…the camera will be powered like in all of the rest of the cars in the world. I just didn’t want to keep it powered. I always make things more difficult than they need to be though…but I think better.

That capability was there, I just wanted to enable it…
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are pics of my backup camera....
Attached Thumbnails -p1050555.jpg   -p1050556.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

How is the video? Where did you run the wire? Is it powered all the time? How much did it cost? What is the video quality?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Video quality is excellent. Not sure where installer ran wire. It is powered all the time. When I put it in reverse it appears on screen but also have the option to use it while driving through my unit. Camera was 145. Its the alpine hce117. The plate mount is made by alpine too and has led lights as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Banned
SL Member

Cool...what HU do you have? Mine only works in reverse.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the alpine ina-w900bt.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
Here are pics of my backup camera....
Can I tell you something? That is nice. I hate you.

lol, I've been searching through all these options out there, I dig that camera setup.

Quick Reply: Backup camera – here is my setup.