Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:58 PM

Default HID questions

Sup forum,

Recently, I just picked up a pair of some 9012 HIDs in 5000k
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything is working alright...(ill get to the annoying part)They turn on, take a few seconds to heat up but then go to its pure white hue and they don't flicker while staying on and the car is stationary. Now onto the annoying part, my lights seem to flicker or bounce-whatever it is-whenever I'm driving on a road that isn't smooth. It seems as if any bump will cause them to flicker or bounce. I did some research and did some troubleshooting to see what the problem can be. I shook the ballasts to see if it was the ballast that was at fault, but my lights didn't flicker when I did that (I also mounted the Ballasts really well so they aren't bouncing anywhere when I'm driving)I looked at both of my bulbs and noticed that there is sort of a yellowish type of dot in the bulb and it honestly looks sort of burnt, so I'm assuming it might be the bulbs...

I have a 35w kit so I figured I wouldn't need a relay harness and I'm kind of hesitant to buy one because I don't want to waste money on a product that won't fix the flickering. I've also made sure that I fastened the bulbs in correctly and everything is snug and tight in the housing around 100 times, but still no luck. I honestly don't know what is up so I'm coming to the forums to see if any of you guys have had the same problem. Maybe they just flicker and I'm noticing them more because they're 3x as bright as my old halogens? I live in an area where the majority of the roads are crap so whenever I'm trying to jam it in my whip, i just notice the bulbs flickering/bouncing idk what it is but it's just really annoying. I'm also starting to think its just going to happen with the OEM housing because of the ability to aim them causing them to have wiggle room to move

I'm riding in a 2014 Scion tC and I really love the car in all black, I plan on buying some ESR SR07's in Gloss white and I would really love to keep these white HID's to complete that mean look I'm going for.

Last edited by JarellNguyen; 07-25-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: add image
Old 07-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Update
I'm ordering a pair of 9006's bulbs from TRS and seeing if that fixes the issue.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 AM

They shouldn't really be flickering at all. Did they fit snug inside the housing? Maybe the glass portion is loose on the bulb itself?
I ordered some 9012 6000k kit by Innovited off amazon and they fit and work perfect.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by FloppyToast
They shouldn't really be flickering at all. Did they fit snug inside the housing? Maybe the glass portion is loose on the bulb itself?
I ordered some 9012 6000k kit by Innovited off amazon and they fit and work perfect.
Yeah, my 9012s fit in the 6 o clock position where the housing is pointing downwards, but i have to turn it clockwise towards the 9 o clock position for it to "lock in" but there is no like "click" sound to know its locked in. It kind of just turne in and seems snug but when I drive around it bounces around with any bump on the road. Its really annoying