Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brake Calipers paint?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake Calipers paint?

So I was thinking i would mess around w my car a little and maybe play with the calipers..i found some header paint but comes in flat, does anyone know any good heat paint in gloss?
Or maybe a clear coat heat paint if even made? or does the whole heat thing really even matter that much?

Some people do stupid jobs with spray paint and it. l come off and stuff f that. also possibly looking into those cheapy plastic Brembo covers, I watched some vids they might just work

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member

Tremclad is a great gloss black high heat product. Finishes smooth. Just make sure you take you time and clean the caliper good. I would put a bare metal primer on first though.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice thanks..I have the RS8.0 so I'm looking for Red preferably, pretty much just to mess with till i get some Red Chrome Calipers and either filthydip my car and wheels or buy from somewhere.

Have u seen the wheels from the Tire Rack site that sponsors in the banner on this site..out of control

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just did mine the other weekend with the G2 paint system

Here's how they turned out

Last edited by ColdAsIce; 08-26-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did mine with red G2 few months ago, no taping, nothing. Have gotten a lot of compliments. Still looks as good as new, no chips. Came out grate. Just need to buy couple of good art brushes and take your time to clean the calipers.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColdAsIce
I just did mine the other weekend with the G2 paint system

Here's how they turned out

dude bad ___..isnt that g2 stuff like 40 bucks i just wanna spend like 10 ____ lol
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used DupliColor engine enamel on mine, its like the same as caliper paint...its around $5-$7 a can and I only used one can to paint all of mine =)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ColdAsIce, those are super nice. Now just get rid of those ugly stock rotors. Grab some StopTech ones...they are chemically treated to prevent the rust that has taken over your stocks.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by k0ntr0lledka0s
i used DupliColor engine enamel on mine, its like the same as caliper paint...its around $5-$7 a can and I only used one can to paint all of mine =)

yea man very nice i saw that stuff, just couldnt find gloss id like gloss
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
ColdAsIce, those are super nice. Now just get rid of those ugly stock rotors. Grab some StopTech ones...they are chemically treated to prevent the rust that has taken over your stocks.
as for rotors i found way better and so bad ___..also coated to resist rust as well as dipped so wont come off during breaking like typical ghetto paint jobs some ppl do..idk how to mention this website last time i got in trouble they thought i was a sponsor but i found chome color rotors (red for me) at carID.com heard great reviews theyr slotted and holed thats the route im going
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yes I was looking at these too
http://www.carid.com/2011-scion-tc-b...-10739209.html
But i'm in Canada and they want $171 for shipping front and back rotors with new pads, im going to try find something local
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those seem so gimicky it's not even funny man. The only color I would maybe consider would be black.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Those seem so gimicky it's not even funny man. The only color I would maybe consider would be black.
Got any suggestions ?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Suggestions for where to get rotors?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Rotor Make/Model
You mentioned StopTech, but having a hard time navigating there website for some reason,
Ill try again to look at there options when Im off work
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, sorry man.

Yeah, these are what I am running:
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2722A0A0.aspx

Now, just a matter of finding a place that will ship them to Canada for a reasonable price :-/
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ya I like the look of these much better, Thanks for the suggestion
Sry jcraff3, I kinda hijacked your thread lol
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn dude that sucks..I love that site I got a friggn infraction for trying to tell ppl about it im hitn those rotors for sure so sexy..and its cool idc bout the thread hijack lol I need more ppl talking it helps me more than a anything..iv made all kinds of threads ppl barely
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so far cant find anything bad about them what makes them gimmicky cuz the color? its electro plated like chrome in a sense ..the color is imbedded within the rotat..it also has slots AND holes, not 1 OR the other..granted either or, are better than stock why not get something thats the best if you have the money and is sexy as ever

i checked outt hat stoptech website also,85 bucks aint bad what so ever for the suckers
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the color is exactly what makes them gimmicky. I'm more of an automotive purist though. The only time a rotor looks "sexy" to me is when it looks different for the purposes of performance.

Take this set from the Ferrari 458 for example:

Now THAT is sexy. No, it's not a flashy, colorful, shiny rotor. It's dull and gray. But knowing the raw stopping capability of these 15.7" carbon ceramic brakes really gets my juices flowing. There are no unnecessary additives or artificial sweeteners in those rotors. It's all purpose-built.

And rotors being slotted and cross-drilled isn't "the best". Every slot and every hole in the rotor takes away from the actual braking surface that your pad can grab onto. This makes your brakes less efficient than they should be. Notice how even those Brembo Ferrari brakes don't have slots AND cross-drills. The cross-drills are tiny too.

And anyone that tells you that slotting and/or cross-drilling significantly improves brake cooling (especially for street driving) is a fool. The only purpose they provide is wiping the brake pad clean of water and debris as they are applied. This gives you a slightly better initial bite in wet weather braking.

Cross-drilling is actually a bit more risky as well. Unless they are made properly by a well-known manufacturer that fully understands the process, there is the risk of your rotors cracking from the point of the cross-drill. Check this out:

That's what made me shy away from cross-drilling, especially knowing that there is no real performance advantage from having them anyway.

That's why I went for a simple set of slotted rotors.
- The slots will provide better initial wet-braking bite.
- I still have the vast majority of my braking surface available for actually braking.
- The non-braking surfaces are treated to avoid rusting.

Everything's got a purpose. Nothing does not have a purpose. But once again that's just coming from an automotive purist.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Calipers paint?