Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

DIY: 2nd Reverse Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile DIY: 2nd Reverse Light

I was asked to post some pics of what I did to add the second reverse light. I'm not a pro at modding and it might not be up to par for some so some things aren't going to be the prettiest, but it definitely makes the tC2 look better.

I went to my local Radio Shack and picked up red and black 14 gauge wire, a pack of 14-18 gauge splice quick connects and a pack of 14-18 gauge wire tap connects. It all came out to like $15 max with tax.
I also purchased a set of 2-wire 7440 (same as the cars) sockets from eBay for $10; it took a week to get in. For $25, some time, and a little cursing I have a second reverse light!

Here are pics of the materials I used:

7440 Socket:

Wire tap and quick connects:

Next I ran the wires inside the car underneath the panel. I just stuck one end of the wire through the driver side and guided it out the other end. I took a pic of the middle and left a little open so you can see:
^^^ This is what I did.

Originally Posted by MightyP
Great work on the light and the write-up. Looks cleaner than what I did (then again I only spent about 30 min doing it) and I didn't cut out notches. Rather, I made a round hole and used a rubber gasket to hold the LED in place.

Anyway, one thing I would recommend changing on your DIY write-up. You said you just ran the wire through the back of the housing.
If you pull up the floor cover (as in expose the spare tire), and unscrew the plastic holders, the whole bottom opens up and you can reach underneath to pull the wire through.
I think I spent more time writing the explanation than I did actually running the wire that way. lol
^^^ Recommended :-)

I put the positive OE bulb wire into one side of the wire tap and put my red wire into the other side, and I did the same for the negative:

Connecting the passenger side wire with the quick connects to the new socket, taped the connects separately then taped them together with some electrical tape:

Now before taping up your quick connects, try out the bulb and make sure you have power. Mine was nice and shiny! The whole process of adding another bulb to the car literally took 20 minutes.
The part that seriously took forever was cutting out the hole in the housing for the socket itself. I don't have pictures of those because, honestly I forgot lol. I'm going to try to explain what I did.

First take out your housing...DUH!
The tools I used were, drill bits, knives, and small files.
Now I made the mistake of just having my housing on my workbench (on top of a towel of course) housing side up and just started working on making a proper hole without really thinking of the end consequence.
All the shavings and dust got inside the housing, all the little cracks, around the lens, and just stuck in the corners. The whole process to size, cut, clean the housing it took me about 3 hours, but mainly because cleaning it took 2 hours.
So if it's possible for you, work with the housing side down so the dust falls out instead of in.

I sized up the hole with the extra socket I received (that's why the edge was red in my earlier pic) and just started drilling away. When I got pretty close to my line I started taking a knife to it to get where I wanted to be.
Finally I drew out the lock notches so the bulbs would stay in place when I turned them, cut them out with the knife and used the files to get inside the edges. NOW it's not the prettiest work but it's very functional and when the socket is placed in, you don't notice anything.

Clean up your area, tuck your wires and put the covers back in place because your done. Enjoy your second reverse light!

Here are the lights in action!

------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update: the OP's pics from 2011 has expired.

Go to Page 6 for: DIY - 2nd Reverse Light Video

Administrator

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-29-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks 1029830192740x better! Nice Job! Any other future mods!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice work.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great work on the light and the write-up. Looks cleaner than what I did (then again I only spent about 30 min doing it) and I didn't cut out notches. Rather, I made a round hole and used a rubber gasket to hold the LED in place.

Anyway, one thing I would recommend changing on your DIY write-up. You said you just ran the wire through the back of the housing. If you pull up the floor cover (as in expose the spare tire), and unscrew the plastic holders (technical terms, I know), the whole bottom opens up and you can reach underneath to pull the wire through. I think I spent more time writing the explanation than I did actually running the wire that way. lol
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazyliltc
Looks 1029830192740x better! Nice Job! Any other future mods!
Of course!!!! I just don't know what at the moment. Of course the basics, exhaust, suspension, but from there...let see how much money I'll have!

Originally Posted by Jon
Nice work.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by MightyP

Anyway, one thing I would recommend changing on your DIY write-up. You said you just ran the wire through the back of the housing. If you pull up the floor cover (as in expose the spare tire), and unscrew the plastic holders (technical terms, I know), the whole bottom opens up and you can reach underneath to pull the wire through. I think I spent more time writing the explanation than I did actually running the wire that way. lol
That's actually good to know! Once it stops snowing I'll do this, get under there and properly tie everything up and tuck it away nice. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

just did mine today. looks way better than having a brand new car without plates yet appear to have stuff go wrong already lol. very similar process to op, except my ebay socket had 3 wires, 1 was unused and was 4 bux. great writeup.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks amazing, good job now ima start on this! Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@jgrow44 2 reverse light tCs FTW!

Originally Posted by errol
That looks amazing, good job now ima start on this! Thanks again!
Good Luck errol!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member

wow interesting DIY. nicely done.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clean and well written, good job!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

two thumbs up,
now wanna do mine?

Only thing I'm afraid of is humidity and moisture seeping into the rear lights. Any problems with that?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found the one backup light rather retarded on this car. what was Toyota USA thinking? Nice work and good way to be innovative
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matariel
two thumbs up,
now wanna do mine?

Only thing I'm afraid of is humidity and moisture seeping into the rear lights. Any problems with that?
Thank you! That was my one of my worries as well. I've been checking it periodically and so far no moisture what so ever has be inside the light. Let's hope it stays that way!

@ moejoe and jdmjim. Thanks you 2.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question:
Im going to do this little mod this weekend. How do i take out the tail light? I heard that for some cars the bumper itself needs to be removed.

I'm estimating this whole mod to take a max of 2 hours, but im a bit freaked out at having to remove the bumper if that"s the case.

If the tail light slips out with no hassle, I'm ready to do this procedure with a single malt scotch in hand.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

very good! Thats the way i was hoping the other guy would do it! His works and so does yours so very good job on both accounts. Good DIY as well.

Stickied this for all you future moders!

Last edited by highvoltage1; 01-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obie: again great job and now you're stickied!

Highvoltage: I assume you're talking about me. Well I would but I'm kinda lazy and really hoping to BUY a new housing when it comes out.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea. No you did a good job. This was just how i was trying to explain how to do it to you. Its how I would do it is all! Props to you for getting it going!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matariel
Question:
Im going to do this little mod this weekend. How do i take out the tail light? I heard that for some cars the bumper itself needs to be removed.

I'm estimating this whole mod to take a max of 2 hours, but im a bit freaked out at having to remove the bumper if that"s the case.

If the tail light slips out with no hassle, I'm ready to do this procedure with a single malt scotch in hand.
The taillight is very easy to take out. Just remove the inside access panel and unscrew it. If I remember it was 3 bolts and it popped right off.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the sticky!

And yea mighty is the one that got it all going. Plus it's something that we wanted to do, just like we said in your other thread. It was annoying and stupid only having one light lol.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Obie & MightyP: Thank you guys in getting me going in this MOD. Everything is all good & working perfectly. No problems with my 2nd reverse light or whatsoever.

Quick Reply: DIY: 2nd Reverse Light