Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

ENGINE IDLE SURGING

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 AM
AJC

Default ENGINE IDLE SURGING

2015 Scion tC 2,400 miles

Has anyone experienced their engine idle to go from 800 RPM's to 1800 RPM's? Up and down up and down. I dropped it off at Toyota yesterday evening. They said nothing is wrong, no codes. The car drives as it should. The engine does this once in a while when it's not quite up to operating temperature. Driving from the house to the GYM we came to a traffic light, my wife stepped on the clutch, and the engine was going up and down. From 800 RPM's to 1800 RPM's, it kept doing it until we started to go again. Once it was in gear driving and shifting gears it was OK? I heard and saw this happening to older cars from the 1980's back in the day. Not sure what it was, but I heard it happen. We use 89 Octane, I never used 87 Octane in anything we drive. Our 98 Corolla never saw 87 Octane from day one, and we never had any issues with it!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this
Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Continue to use 87. 89 is not necessary. Yes this is normal. It's an absolutely monstrosity though and I feel your concern. Every and all tCs have done this. When the clutch goes in, or you are in neutral, the RPM's dance around like some disco ball. It's normal and nothing is wrong, I assure you. I've owned a few tC's, all brand new and they did this from the start regardless of what modifications I did, and I did everything from intakes to turbos, it still rev'd on its own.

Congratulations on the new purchase too. My '15 tC has 2,200 miles so I'm right with ya!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 AM
AJC

Criminaltc,

Thank you for sharing, it's a little bit of a let down for me as far as Toyota goes. If that's all the issues we have with it. I can surely deal with that. This Blizzard Pearl Scion was a Christmas and Birthday present for my wife of 41 years. I really like driving it, it's awesome! Enjoy your Scion as well. Once again thank you very much, and TAKE IT EASY WHILE YOU'RE GOING FAST!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! I have the blizzard pear as well! With no spoilier and in 6-speed. There was like only 10 of those made that specific. Very very hard to find, but I was able to get one built. The spoiler looked like crap, and they really didn't make the pearl in 6-speed to so I had to work to get it.

You shouldn't have any issues or recalls. The issues with the tC2's have already been worked out and fixed in the early years of the tC2. So I think we are good. You should have this car for as long as you had the Corolla (because obviously if you had the Corolla that long, you know how to take care of a vehicle, and thank you for that).

Also, I don't drive fasat, especially this thing since it's so dam.n slow. I have my fast cars

2009 VW GTI - 400hp turbo
2007 Civic Si - 515hp turbo

Built them both, and they are stupid fast, so my tC2 I just have my girl use for work and errands and sh.t.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:41 AM
AJC

Well when I looked my wife's tC I asked for the low profile spoiler, and the driving lamps. I got them for no extra charge, and the spoiler was painted the Blizzard Pearl! So I was happy, and she really loves it. She drove the Corolla since new, it has 133,000 miles and the clutch does not slip! I told her that was impressive, she should be proud of herself! She laughed and said. "You taught me how to drive the 5 speed, you should be proud" I said I showed you how, you maintained the logic about it. I use the Corolla for a commuter, it's great on gas! The Corolla has ice cold AC power everything, including a factory sun/moon roof. Great car!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah for sure. Nothing wrong that car at all.

I'm not a fan of spoilers at all which is why I needed mine with a clean trunk. Cleaner lines of the car, in my opinion you know.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a '15 Magnetic Grey 6spd (no spoiler lol) and it has done the same thing a few times. Once or twice when I installed the MTX sub and again when I installed the CAI. It seems to do it right after I change something and then goes back to normal.

I normally would be alerted to a vacuum leak and start going through gaskets and hoses, but when I learned there was no throttle cable (drive by wire), I assumed that it was the ECU relearning on it's own. It always does it a few times after a change and then goes back to normal.

I have had it at 1500 and 4000 miles.

Enjoy the car! It is an over engineered drivetrain.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What you are talking about is when you disconnect the battery and reset the ECU. Then the car really jumps around while it's trying to relearn. This isn't what he's talking about. When rolling (fast in gear) and you push the clutch in or put it in neutral (to maybe slow to a light), the rpms will pop up a few hundred and fall and pop up again.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had both