Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

HID Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet I will have to check into that when I get home!

And yeah that's lazy just a little bit man haha... well good luck and i look forward to seeing your setup!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the 35W 6000k raptors from ddm too...had them for a about a week and they are awesome!

no harness no brackets. i installed the driverside on the battery, but i got tricky with the passenger side. i removed the tube that goes to the washer resevior, double-stick Velcro'd the ballast to that and then reinstalled the tube. very clean and you can't even tell is there. also not a hard place to access if needed

I grabed some t10 led's too, they were on sale, so that my license plate lights are a clean white (ish) in the rear to match the front.

when i have time to take night shots i'll post them

I got an email about confirming the order the same day or the day after. But the shipping email with transaction number came about a week later. I live in CA and i'm near kind of near their huntington beach store...not sure if that matters.

retro-solutions is another good website for lights. I was going to get HID's from there but ddm is so much cheaper and about the same. except if you want to go 55w

@retro-solution their HID bulbs are 100% compatible with 55w. with ddm turning, their 55w ballast still use the same HID bulbs that are for 35w. so its not a real big deal, but matching it up is more efficient/longer life span. (but with a lifetime warranty...so what?)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good input! If you get the few minutes could you snap pics of your ballast placements too?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 AM

Finally, I found a thread about HID on 2011. I recently bought the Slimline HID Kit from DDM 6000k, with the relay harness. I attempted to install last night on my GF 2011 tC. Keep in mind I have had experience with a lot of lighting and HID kits. Obviously first step was to disconnect the NEG terminal on the battery. Then I went ahead and connected everything with the relay harness..Connect POS (with the big fuse on the relay harness) to the POS battery terminal. Then grounded the NEG (on the relay harness) to where the NEG terminal of the battery was grounded to the frame..Then put the negative terminal back on, and crank up the car. Turn on headlights..and nothing. So I opened the fuse box, and sure thing both of the Low Beam fuses went out...Any DIY you guys refer to? or could someone help me? Thx!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I'd go ahead and ditch the relay harness altogether.

I am running the 55w DDM Raptor (full-size ballasts) with no relay harness and they fire up without a hitch.

The ballast simply installs in-line. Go from the OEM headlight connector to the ballast, and from the ballast to the bulb and you're done. No tinkering with the battery or any of that other stuff is necessary.

I used the DIY found on DDMTuning's website.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bpsu07
Finally, I found a thread about HID on 2011. I recently bought the Slimline HID Kit from DDM 6000k, with the relay harness. I attempted to install last night on my GF 2011 tC. Keep in mind I have had experience with a lot of lighting and HID kits. Obviously first step was to disconnect the NEG terminal on the battery. Then I went ahead and connected everything with the relay harness..Connect POS (with the big fuse on the relay harness) to the POS battery terminal. Then grounded the NEG (on the relay harness) to where the NEG terminal of the battery was grounded to the frame..Then put the negative terminal back on, and crank up the car. Turn on headlights..and nothing. So I opened the fuse box, and sure thing both of the Low Beam fuses went out...Any DIY you guys refer to? or could someone help me? Thx!
switch polarity?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Honestly, I'd go ahead and ditch the relay harness altogether.

I am running the 55w DDM Raptor (full-size ballasts) with no relay harness and they fire up without a hitch.

The ballast simply installs in-line. Go from the OEM headlight connector to the ballast, and from the ballast to the bulb and you're done. No tinkering with the battery or any of that other stuff is necessary.

I used the DIY found on DDMTuning's website.
Actually, I told you wrong. 2nd time (I tried without the harness) was when I checked the fuses, and they were both blown. 1st was with the harness, and I think that was when the fuses in the fuse box blew (Low Beam R/L Headlight)..I replaced LOW Beam R/L Headlight Fuses with the High Beam R/L Headlight fuses for temporary..so she can drive at night. I didn't want to attempt again because I didn't have any fuses. On the passenger side OEM connector I believe are black/white and a yellow? and on the driver side they're also different. Where did you plug the red/black to..in other words which goes to which from the ballast connector to OEM connector.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, my HID system has blue and black wires that run to the Oem connector. I assume blue in positive and black is negative.

The OEMs in my car are red and black on the drivers side (red being positive in guessing) and black and white on the passenger side (I found the black surprisingly to be positive).

So I ran the blue from the ballast into the red on the drivers side, and the blue into the black on the passenger side.

I don't have any yellow wires for headlights.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM

You mind taking some pics?

I wasn't sure if it was yellow, was just guessing lol. Its probably the same as yours then, and I have the DDMTuning 35w slimline..
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll snap some first chance I get
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a kit from VVME. Costs me 60$ shipped to my door in Canada with a Harness, VS 80-90 from DDMtuning.com

Question!! I got the harness for preventive measures. Last thing I want is problems wiht my stock electrical system and flickering in the lights.

1) Now, how does that work with the daytime running lights? Is there a conflict, with them not turning on anymore?
2) I was also told the DRL don't match color-wise with the HID? (4300k)
3) LED is the way to go to change the DRL and hi-beams? any of you did this?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're gonna need another Canada driver to answer the DRL question. My assumption is that they will still turn on though, even with your low-beams turned on.

I'm not entirely familiar with the color of the tC2 DRLs, but I'm sure they are a lot yellower than an HID kit. DRLs probably produce a less than 4000k colored light.

There aren't any LED lights powerful enough to be used as high-beams (yet).
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

when i installed hids on my wrx, i had to disable the drls or else they were each fighting for control of the lights. i wanted them disabled anyway so it was a double bonus. not 100% sure about the tc wiring though.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got my 6k HIDs in the mail yesterday and am installing them tonight. I will have pictures later later!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet! Can't wait! Also I will post some pics of the way I connected my ballast to my OEM connectors to help you guys avoid any reverse polarity or blowing any fuses.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are pics of the connections at the OEM connector. Reminder: this is the DDMTuning Raptor 55w kit.

Driver's side: Blue into Red, Black into White

Name:  IMAG0123.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  31.3 KB

Passenger's Side: Blue into Black, Black into White/Black

Name:  IMAG0122.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  35.0 KB

I used black electric tape to seal the connection, since the kit didn't include an OEM H11 connector. (Note page 1 where I provided a pic of the connectors that came with the kit.)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IM GONNA DROP MOAR MONEY ON MY TC AND BUY HIIIIIDDDDSSSSSSS

What should i get? :D

Also, to be sure, 6k would definitely be brighter than stock, but not as bright as 5k, right?

Last edited by Enzie; 02-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct. 5k is slightly more light output.

DDM tuning 55w 6K H11. I didn't get the harness either, the stock lights are 55w too. Mine work great.

End of story lol
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the quick reply, now i just have to decide wether to go 55w like you or 35w like some others
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what's the install time on these?

Quick Reply: HID Help Thread