Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Huge Moving Dilemma- Hitch on a tC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Huge Moving Dilemma- Hitch on a tC?

So here's my dilemma...

I'm moving from NY to FL in about 2 months and all I have to move my 1 BR apartment with me AND my GF's stuff, including an entire home theater system, my MASSIVE DJ rig and lighting,
two 42 inch LCDs, various home studio gear, a cat, etc... I can basically fit it all into one U-Haul trailer (I know how to pack really well). The cat will have to ride with me and my girlfriend.

Anyways, my two options are:

1) get a U-Haul truck and tow my 2012 tC behind it. This would cost me $1300 for the truck, $250 for the car tower, + $500ish for gas for a total of $2200. I am very comfortable driving trucks so I wouldn't have a problem. However, that is VERY expensive. over $2k

2) Put a temporary hitch on the 2012 tC and haul a U-Haul TRAILER down to Florida, it would cost me $250 to buy the hitch and have it put on, and another $150 to rent the trailer, + $300ish gas. That's $700, a third of the price of the truck...

So here's my question, if I get a hitch put on the Scion, will it be welded on? I really only want it for the drive down and THAT'S IT, most likely I will just sell it as soon as I get down there to compensate
for the cost of it because I will never use it again. Anyone put a hitch on their 2011-2012 tC yet? experiences? I know the manual says you shouldn't do it, but my other option is 3 times as expensive.

Let me know what you guys think.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know man. Uhaul is such a joke. you can't move anywhere in the nation for less than a grand with uhaul or any competitors. So lame. So I understand why you'd want to hitch up your tC. The good thing is that I've seen hitches on tC's, first generations, and they people have said they didn't have any problems. So that's good. And what's even better is that the second generations are even bulkier. However, it's incredibly bad for your chassis. That trailer full of sh*t will be put your chassis in a blender. However, you're situation will be mostly highway. Stay out of traffic and stop and go situations as much as possible. I'd say do it. To save $1500 you should do it. For the hitch, they shouldn't be welding anything. They will need to drill holes though to bolt it on. So, you should do it, but again, do not accelerate hard even the slightest and do not brake hard even the slightest. Ever jerk that you feel from the trailer is one more kink in your chassis. Look at it that way. Good luck and have fun with Florida.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
I know man. Uhaul is such a joke. you can't move anywhere in the nation for less than a grand with uhaul or any competitors. So lame. So I understand why you'd want to hitch up your tC. The good thing is that I've seen hitches on tC's, first generations, and they people have said they didn't have any problems. So that's good. And what's even better is that the second generations are even bulkier. However, it's incredibly bad for your chassis. That trailer full of sh*t will be put your chassis in a blender. However, you're situation will be mostly highway. Stay out of traffic and stop and go situations as much as possible. I'd say do it. To save $1500 you should do it. For the hitch, they shouldn't be welding anything. They will need to drill holes though to bolt it on. So, you should do it, but again, do not accelerate hard even the slightest and do not brake hard even the slightest. Ever jerk that you feel from the trailer is one more kink in your chassis. Look at it that way. Good luck and have fun with Florida.

So it's really that bad for my chassis? Ehh thats not good... I don't really want to damage the car as it's a lease.... Now I'm just debating paying one of my friends to drive down with his truck and trailer.... $2k is really a lot to move....
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You've got a brand new $20K car, don't ruin it. Hauling a trailer full of still will not make your TC explode instantly, but I will wear and tear your vehicle SO much. Either just take a hit and rent the U-Haul truck, or buy a crappy truck off craigslist to haul the stuff and then sell it when you get down to Florida. I'm SURE you can get a fine truck with a hitch for 2K and get all of your money back by selling it
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
You've got a brand new $20K car, don't ruin it. Hauling a trailer full of still will not make your TC explode instantly, but I will wear and tear your vehicle SO much. Either just take a hit and rent the U-Haul truck, or buy a crappy truck off craigslist to haul the stuff and then sell it when you get down to Florida. I'm SURE you can get a fine truck with a hitch for 2K and get all of your money back by selling it
thanks ill keep that in mind.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plenty of us xb2 guys have towed things with zero problems, even after 50k miles.

If we weren't supposed to tow anything...why would they pre-drill mounting points for hitches?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XB's and TC's have very different chassies. They do not pre drill holes on TC's.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the money you'll save by just towing your car behind the truck would make up for the difference and then some. cars should never tow anything its just very unsafe. sure you might be able to pull it, but everyone seems forget about the stopping part... the tc wheelbase is way too short and the car is just not going to be safe if some a** cuts you off and the trailer keeps pushing you along and then rear ends you. i'd say rent the truck because you should never debate on cost when you could be putting your safety on the line for a few bucks
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

apologies, I didn't realize this was in the tc2 thread!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
XB's and TC's have very different chassies. They do not pre drill holes on TC's.
It is pre drilled for a hitch. one side has a tow hook (which you have to take off) and the other side has the holes for a hitch or another tow hook.

I have a hitch on my car. I dont tow anything but I do haul bikes.
It takes about 10 minutes to install. Very easy.

Last year a friend of mine towed a small uhaul trailer with his 2010 civic si about 1200 miles with no problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jerm
It is pre drilled for a hitch. one side has a tow hook (which you have to take off) and the other side has the holes for a hitch or another tow hook.

I have a hitch on my car. I dont tow anything but I do haul bikes.
It takes about 10 minutes to install. Very easy.

Last year a friend of mine towed a small uhaul trailer with his 2010 civic si about 1200 miles with no problem.
+1. I installed a hitch on mine too so I can take my bikes to the trails as there is no roof rack for us. All you have to do is remove the 2 bolts on the right side to remove the factory tow hitch. the hitch will come with 4 new bolts and all you have to do is wrench em in. Hitch is heavy...recommend 2 people and its even easier if you have an air ratchet. Takes 5 minutes or less with a ratchet. However...the hitch and everything u buy for it says its not ment for towing so that is up to you. I'd recommend using the Uhaul or your friends truck.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

instead of renting uhaul, just rent a pickup or suv from like enterprise and rent the trailer from uhaul. It doesn't cost nearly as much to rent a car with unlimited miles these days, just go on travelocity or something. It'll only cost a couple hundred more than your tc/trailer idea....a good compromise.